One's weight 'socially contagious'

Give us the skinny in the losers lounge.
(Anything off topic)

Postby Mike » September 2nd, 2007, 9:16 am

Dr. Andersen brought up this article at conference and I thought that it should be posted here. Comments wanted and welcome.:mrgreen:

By Nanci Hellmich, USA TODAY
July 25, 2007

Obesity is contagious.

One person's obesity can significantly increase the chance that his or her friends, siblings and spouse also will become heavy, according to the first study done on how weight gain spreads through social networks. And if a person slims down, the people around him or her also may lose weight.

SUCCESS: From bad example to good

"Both obesity and thinness are socially contagious," says study co-author James Fowler, an associate professor of political science at the University of California-San Diego.

At the heart of the matter is the sharing of acceptable norms for weight, not just sharing the same eating and exercise habits, says internist Nicholas Christakis, also a study author and a professor of medical sociology at Harvard Medical School. If someone you care about gains weight, your notion of an acceptable body size may change. You may decide it's OK to go up a couple of sizes, he says.
FIND MORE STORIES IN: Reuters | Heathrow airport | Obesity | Nicholas Christakis

About a third of Americans are obese, about 30 or more pounds over a healthy weight, which increases their risk of heart disease, diabetes and other problems.

In the study, which was funded by the National Institute on Aging, researchers examined social ties among 12,067 people in the Framingham (Mass.) Heart Study, a multigeneration collection of data covering 32 years.

Findings are reported in today's New England Journal of Medicine:

•When people become obese, the risk of their closest friends becoming obese over the next two to four years increases by 171%; the risk for their casual friends increases by 57%; their siblings' risk, 40%; their spouse's, 37%.

•The reverse also is true. When one person sheds pounds, it has a ripple effect and increases the chances by similar percentages that their friends, siblings and spouse will trim down, Fowler says.

•A man's weight has more effect on the weight of his male buddies and brothers than on his sisters or female friends. And a woman's weight has more effect on her girlfriends and sisters than her brothers or guy friends.

"Men look to men. Women look to women," Fowler says. This may explain why friends appear to have more effect on weight than spouses do, he says.

If one person gains, it can affect social ties with three degrees of separation, so a friend of a friend of a friend also is affected, he says. "One person's weight influences dozens of other people they are connected with both directly and indirectly. It can impact people who are connected through a mutual friend or family member."

Surprisingly, researchers found that the obesity risk is not affected by geographic distance. "If you have a close friend or a sibling who lives a mile or a thousand miles away, that person's weight gain can have the same affect on your weight," Christakis says.

John Foreyt, an obesity researcher at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, suggests: "If you are trying to lose or control your weight, pick your friends carefully. You may not want to be around people who are gaining weight or who are too heavy."

The study may have implications for treatments. "If we can get even a small number of obese people to lose weight, it might have a ripple effect, and we could contribute to reversing the obesity epidemic," Fowler says
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Hi

Postby dede4wd » September 5th, 2007, 2:53 pm

I noticed this happening recently...My neighbor got a roommate and within months, she had become the same size as the roomie! Yikes!
dede4wd

Postby Joy » September 5th, 2007, 8:51 pm

Interesting topic -

thanks for sharing Mike.

regards,
joy
Joy
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Mike » September 6th, 2007, 4:44 pm

And then I just re-read the thread by pinkbugs that hasd this same article posted by Unca. Oops, my bad. We did here about it in the same place though (if that counts). ;)
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike

Return to What's Shakin'