Not to scare anyone, but ...

Give us the skinny in the losers lounge.
(Anything off topic)

Not to scare anyone, but ...

Postby DogMa » July 23rd, 2006, 9:38 pm

This is running in tomorrow's paper:

Four of every 10 patients who undergo weight-loss surgery develop complications within six months, the federal government said Sunday. Bariatric surgery is helping thousands of Americans lose weight and reduce the risk of diabetes and other life-threatening diseases, said Dr. Carolyn M. Clancy, director of the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, a unit of the Public Health Service. But she added, “This study shows how important it is for patients to consider the potential complications.” The research also found that patients who experienced complications spent an average of $36,542. Those requiring readmission to a hospital spent $65,031.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Mike » July 24th, 2006, 12:38 am

Yes, this is very true. I even had some slight problems (interior abcess) that took over a month to heal (and was a nasty thing to deal with so I won't go into details ;) ). My brother had infections in 2 of the 3 holes from his laporoscopy.
All in all though, over a long period of time, I am healthier and less money is being spent on my health care problems.
I still say MF is the key for folks that its going to work for. I feel that at this time, way too many people are looking to bariatric surgery as a fix instead of what it really is: a tool.
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Jan » July 24th, 2006, 8:33 am

My heart goes out to those who are only seeking a way part with the pounds and "to get healthy" I trully wish we could reach them before they have the surgery. I firmly believe that MF is a much better option for the majority. I know for a very few the surgery is their only option. They have progressed far to far in their progressive weight gain and their bodies need immediate help.They are in a life or death situation and can't wait a few months to part with the pounds in any other manner. They are a very very small minority however. When my Dad was in the nursing home for a month last summer I met a 36 year old woman living there. She was on a ventilator, and had been oxygen deprived so was intellectually affected also. What happened to her??? Gastric bypass surgery. She was only trying to part with pounds and will most likely never be able l to fully function again. I have no idea how long she will live, but I do know she will always have to live in a facility that accepts ventilator patients. I feel sooooo sad for her. I would guess that she needed to part with about 100 to 150 pounds. Very doable on MF. Due to her circumstances she had lost only a very very small amount. The main emphasis at this point is just keeping her alive. I would hope that we would be able to reach people earlier on in this horrible progressive weight gain. I want to help them before they have many many many pounds to lose. I've helped several people part with more than 100 pounds so I know it's doable. We can make a big difference for people. If you have friends who need to lose a few pounds to many pounds, please send them our way. We can give them hope that there is a way to part with the pounds in a very safe, almost risk free manner. I personally love to "come alongside" someone, encourage and give them hope. I know there are others here that do also. I love to reach out over the phone, put my arm around them, and say "it's ok, I'll help you, we'll do this together -- you are no longer alone in this struggle." And then of course I love to cheer as the pounds flee!!! :D
jan
Jan
Preferred member

Return to What's Shakin'