Newbie with Hypothyroidism! Any others!!

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

Newbie with Hypothyroidism! Any others!!

Postby lazyacresfarm » April 5th, 2004, 8:02 pm

I am new to medifast, waiting on my first shipment with a goal of starting on 4/10. I have always struggled with my weight, but never more than the last year. I lose 20 and gain 30. We have all probably been there. I suffer from hypothyroidism. I have talked with a nurse at the company who says the only thing I need to do different is have Hot Cocoa as my first supplement every morning because it does not contain soy. Any other hypos out there? :?: How did you feel? How did you lose? I look forward to the support on my journey and to being supportive to others out there.

Denise
lazyacresfarm

Postby Carrie » April 6th, 2004, 4:55 am

Hi Denise,
I would suggest talking to Terry or Nancy, who can be reached at the above 800 number. If they don't happen to have the answer they will find out ASAP. There are also weekly Nurse and Doctor conference type calls that you can take advantage of.

Hope this helps,
Carrie
Now: 2/5/07: 233.6/220.0/145
1st time: 3/1/04, from 266.5 to 195.4
Carrie
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby pinkgeek » April 6th, 2004, 11:47 am

Hallo Denise

Welcome to the forum :) I don't have hypothyroidism, but I do have PCOS and haven't found anyone else with this problem. The reason I bring it up is because it makes losing weight about 3 times harder than your average bear. I was curious about your comment. What does soy do to a person first thing in the morning? My plan goes like this:

7:30 or 8 - shake
11 - shake
2 - soup
5 - bar
8 or so - shake

Sometimes I have my pickles and bouillon in between and I drink AT LEAST a gallon of water and sometimes more. I'm starting week 3 and have lost 10lbs so far. Hopefully you can make this plan work for you even though you have the illness. As Carrie mentioned, there are a lot of good resources through Terry and Nancy. I haven't contacted them about the PCOS questions yet, but I may. Keep posting and shaking!
~Angela

Start date: 3/21/04
195.5/159.5/115
After a week off: Restart 6/7/04
164/154.4/115
pinkgeek
Trusted Member - #40 Club

Postby shineface » April 6th, 2004, 3:26 pm

Hi Denise --

I would imagine if you are hypo-thyroid that you are being monitored by a doctor for it and being treated with some kind of medication - synthroid or something else.

I'm hypo-thyroid and have not had any problems with this plan -- don't quite get the soy connection and am always curious about the involvement in medical situations by the "Company Nurse" --- I do hope you are being monitored for your hypo-thyroid, as you must know the thyroid gland controls alot of other functions in the body and needs to be in balance. Anyway, I have not had any problems with MF - just look at my numbers!!!!

Glad you are here and remember this forum makes all the difference in the world - come here and read and post and shake and slurp and drink tons of water and you will succeed!!!!!

WE WILL do this together!!! :stroll:
Pam -"I AM the ME in MEdifast"
Start = 1/24/04 70 down 60 up
5/1/05=279.6
You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf. - Unknown
shineface
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Landylue » April 6th, 2004, 5:02 pm

Hi, Denise. I still take Lyvoxil with the complete blessings of my doctor who checked out Medifast and has given it two thumbs up. He wants to check my blood every 12 weeks to be on the safe side, but he is delighted that I am continuing in my efforts to lose weight.

Almost two years ago I was sitting at 277 lbs! I lost 91 lbs through First Place, which is like a Christian Weight Watchers, but gained back 22 lbs over two vacations, Thanksgiving and Christmas. When I went back on First Place, I stayed the same weight for three solid months! How discouraging! I was so disgusted with myself that I wanted to kick-start a serious program. Medifast and this wonderful forum has been a God-send. I've lost that 22 lbs, and I've got 'only' 51 lbs to go.

Nobody will ever tell you this is an easy thing to do, but, plain and simple, it works.

Good luck!

Landylue
Failure is NOT an option!
Landylue
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Newbie w/Hypothyroidism Reply

Postby lazyacresfarm » April 6th, 2004, 5:45 pm

Thanks to all who have replied. I was put in touch with one of the nurses by a Health Advisor over a month ago who knew nothing about this plan and hypothyroidism. I called the 800 number and got alot of great information from the nurse who knew a great deal about hypothroidism and using Medifast. I have heard in the past that those who have hypothyroidism should steer clear of soy. That is why I was concerned. She explained to me that the only time we should be concerned is first thing in the morning when we take our medication (Synthroid, in my case.) She is the one who said do the Hot Cocoa first thing in the morning. I am glad to see others who have successfully lost using Medifast with a hypothroidism condition. Thanks for all of your support. It is so uplifting to "see" others who have been in my shoes and have succeeded. That is what it will take for me to be successful. Blessings to All, Denise :cleader:
Start Date: 4/14/04

241/241/155

1st Goal: 40 lbs. by 40th Birthday in July!
lazyacresfarm

Return to Come on in.