New and having a terrible time

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

New and having a terrible time

Postby Chloe » March 26th, 2005, 2:38 am

Hi,

I am new and having a bad time getting started. Today was day 4, but really day 2 for the 2nd time. I feel hungry, cranky, and resentful. I desperately miss the comfort that I used to get from night eating. But I am also sick of being overweight.

I have a lot of life stresses now so its hard to stay with any diet, also at "that age" that makes it difficult to lose weight-- but I also know that the extra weight is also a major stressor itself.

I don't know if I can make it, please HELP---
:(
Chloe

Postby doglover » March 26th, 2005, 6:26 am

Chloe - here comes a big hug :hug:
Let's think of it this way: the cranky, irritable, yucky feeling you have are all the toxins releasing themselves from your body. You are releasing the yucky stuff that makes you overweight. The minute I thought of it that way I embraced my yuckiness and said "Be gone toxins!"

Remember, have an extra shake if you need it. Drink bouillon, drink the fast soups, have 2 pickles, have celery sticks...put something in your mouth every hour or so and go to bed. Read a book, go to the movies. Something to get your mind occupied or alseep!!! This will pass - we promise!!!!

Keep coming here hour by hour if you need to and keep your fingers busy typing, you mind and eyes busy reading. The time will pass. You can do ANYTHING for one day and tomorrow is a new day.

Here comes another hug :hug:
Donna
Donna - frequent flyer to FL!
Feb 7, 2005 start date
176/150/150 - made it in 9 weeks! 26 lbs off!
150/139.5/140 - made it in 8 1/2 more weeks! 36.5 lbs off!
144/143/135 - new and last goal! Maintaining for now in 2006
doglover
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby RavenKat2 » March 26th, 2005, 7:45 am

Write all those feelings down. too! Maybe purging them into a private journal will help. :-) Not to get TOO deep here, but since you can't comfort yourself with food you'll find yourself having to deal with all the junk in your life in a different way.

Hang in there - you are doing something great for yourself and it's really worth the effort!

Kat
RavenKat2
(259)245/207/165

*new id for inspiration*
RavenKat2
Trusted Member

Postby dlr2424 » March 26th, 2005, 8:07 am

Chloe....First of all WELCOME!!!....Secondly....YOU CAN MAKE IT.... :yes: ... ...don't allow the seed of doubt to enter your mind..... :twisted: .....your right...being overweight is a stress in itself....and a far greater stress than the first few days of withdrawel....now hungry & cranky are normal symptoms we have all experienced but are short lived.... :x .....Possibly if you substitute the resentful feeling with a grateful feeling.... it will be a little easier to handle....And by grateful...i'm mean gratefullness that ....if compliant.....THIS WILL BE THE LAST DIET YOU"LL EVER BE ON...... :yay: ...grateful that you have wonderful people on this forum to support, encourage, & console you who have or are walking the walk..... :hug: ....we all have to go thru "stuff" to reach any victory...otherwise it wouldn't be victorius....and if you look at the other options....well for me they weren't a pretty picture....I could continue trying a million other diets without getting very far..(now that's frustration)...I could continue on comforting myself at night...only to wake up far more depressed.... :cry: .....or I could TAKE CONTROL OF MY LIFE....educate myself... :pagesturn: ....jump into this forum and be there for others which helps me to take the focus off myself... :puter: ......&...CHOOSE to enjoy the journey ....in the end the small price we pay now will bless us with a lifetime of health.... :angel: ....not to mention the glorious feeling of being in shape... :dance: ...Try to stay focused as to why you want to reach goal...and ask your Higher Power to intervine with strength for this journey.....my many prayers are with you..xoxox

Donna...dlr2424

There's nothing to great that God won't provide me the strength to endure...all I need to do is ask Him
dlr2424
Preferred Member - #50 Club

support & help

Postby LAwoman » March 26th, 2005, 11:01 am

Hi Chloe and welcome,

Sorry you're having such a tough time getting started with MF. Everyone seems to have such different experiences with the first three days.

I like Donna (Doglover's) idea explaining all those bad feelings with releasing the toxic "yuckiness" as releasing the weight from your body.
And writing it down like RKat says might help you, at least take your mind off food.

I know for me I had to spend a little time planning and preparing and realizing my goals so when I started I would stick to it.

Fortunately, there's so many wonderful, supportive people here to help you (and all of us :D )

A couple of suggestions if you haven't already heard or thought of them.
*Read "Success in a Shaker Jar" (as many times as necessary)
*Read through this forum at old posts for inspiration
*Read MMT's newletters. (Last night I sat for an hour just reading all the old newsletters Nancy has posted. Not only are they informative, helpful, interesting, something I totally related to, but that Nancy had me cracking up. :roflmao: She is one clever lady.)
*Sit down and write all the reasons you want to be successful at this. Write down where you think you'll be tomorrow, next week, next month, and next year if you stick with MF and if you don't stick with MF.

All I keep saying to myself is "What's the alternative?"
And then I know I'd rather have MF for a short time so I can have thinness for a lifetime.

Hope this helps.
Keep reading, 'cause I know there'll be lots more support for you here and on other posts.

soon to be,
thininLA
LAwoman
Preferred member

Postby scrabbler7 » March 26th, 2005, 11:09 am

Hi there Chloe - I ditto everything they've all said. No one said this was going to be easy - but with some determination and all the support here on the forum; we all stand a better than average chance of getting to our goals!!

I would just add one thing:

Click below and become a registered member of the site. Becoming a member gives you the ability to see when others are on-line, private message to other members, create your own personal profile, and much more.

http://www.makemethinner.com/forum/prof ... e=register

Hang in there - you can do this!
scrabbler7
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby joysea » March 26th, 2005, 6:47 pm

A warm welcome to you, Chloe! It is so very hard. I just keep remembering this time is going to pass, regardless if I an on Medifast or not. I CAN get through this. Yes, there are so many times when I just want to escape the world, sit in my reading chair and just "feed" - eat all the binge goodies I stealthily bought in preparation. BUT then I remember how good I have felt when I wake in the morning after having a complete day of Medifast the day before. That feeding frenzy that could have been never happened...and I am so glad I did not cave in and binge.

This is day 23 for me...I have lost 12 pounds thus far and have 30.9 to goal. I originally started with Medifast in March of 2003 and lost 78 pounds in 8 months. I maintained that through the holidays, but steadily gained 40 back because I didn't properly transition.

So now, some days it is a real struggle, then others breeze by. But I know in my heart of hearts I can do this, I want to do this and I will do this!

You are not alone. I know in that moment of desperation you feel like you need that binge to survive life, that you are the only one that feels that need....but trust me, we are probably all here for that same reason.

I pray that we all continue day by day to succeed in this program. I, too, rely on this forum to get through the tough times.

When you need us, we are there for youl

Joyce

167.9/155.9/125
Joyce

Highest Weight 198//166.3/130
joysea
Trusted Member - #30 Club

Thanks SO Much

Postby Chloe » March 28th, 2005, 5:43 am

I am reading and rereading all of y'all's words of eencouragement, advice and support, as I start day #2 for the third time today. I am really going to do it. Thanks again. :heart:
Chloe

Postby doglover » March 28th, 2005, 7:39 am

Keep going Chloe - you're almost done w/ the hardest part. Get to day 3 and then day 4 and pretty soon it will be easier and easier. It will never be a cinch, but it does get better! We promise!

So glad you stuck with it!
Donna
Donna - frequent flyer to FL!
Feb 7, 2005 start date
176/150/150 - made it in 9 weeks! 26 lbs off!
150/139.5/140 - made it in 8 1/2 more weeks! 36.5 lbs off!
144/143/135 - new and last goal! Maintaining for now in 2006
doglover
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby raederle » March 28th, 2005, 7:48 am

The gals are all absolutely right! Like Donna said, tell yourself EVERY DAY this is the last diet you will ever have to be on, if you just give Project Chloe all the focus and energy it deserves. Post a note on your computer, on the fridge, on the cabinets-- remind yourself that if you just stick to it this ONCE, you'll never ever have to do it again.

Give it one week (you can do ANYTHING for one week, right? ;)), and I think the results will help keep you motivated. YOU CAN DO IT!!!! We're with you every step of the way.
raederle

5'5"
High weight = 180
Reached goal (125) 3/27/05
New goal: 130
I'll reach it again, one day at a time
raederle
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby Philamae » March 28th, 2005, 9:44 am

Heyas Chloe :)

I am also starting, and I completely sympathize!
Such a lifestyle change is never easy, but I have confidence that we can do this! :cleader:

The way I am getting through it is telling myself over and over that "Nothing tastes as good as thin feels" Food has stopped being a form of nourishment and has become a crutch, once you get off that crutch I believe that you can learn to stand on your own two feet, and youll become stronger for it.

I know not having the food you used to is sad, but think about that day you will look in the mirror and just say "wow I look good" :shades:

Don't even have a little bite! We all know how it is, you see a bag of chips and you think "oh...Ill just have one!" then one turns into two... then "oh I might as well have the serving size!" then its "One of those chips looked smaller than the rest, maybe I can have a couple more" and suddenly the bags gone! :oops:

Have lots of tea and water, if youre very hungry take a nap! I napped a lot my first day to keep my mind off being hungry.

I was also on these forums every hour looking at pictures and reading stories. If you stick to it you WILL lose weight! Its not a matter of "maybe" its a matter of when

Anyways, lots of hugs, hang in there, it will get easier, but first you have to stick with it! :hug:

Here's to both of us! :cheers:
Philamae

Postby 24KaratGold » March 28th, 2005, 9:54 am

In the first couple of weeks, before MFing became a routine or a habit for me, I used to tell myself when I got into bed that I was healthier than when I got up that morning. And then in the morning I would look myself in the mirror and tell myself that I was healthier than I had been the day before, and not as healthy as I would be tomorrow if I stayed with the program throughout the day.

And yes, Nancy's mantra of "Nothing tastes as good as thin feels!" was also another constant refrain. As was -- and is -- Mike's "Just get it done!" That last still keeps me going sometimes; Medifast is the only "diet" I've been on that I can see a positive light at the end of the tunnel with, because it "gets it done" in months rather than years. I think it would take me two years to lose 105 pounds on WW -- assuming I stayed with it that long, which I wouldn't. My history teaches me that I can stay on a weight loss program for about 10 months, maximum. I did that on WW once and lost 62 pounds, which was great, but didn't even take me out of the 200s. With MF, I expect to be "done" by the time I complete 10 months on MF; I have 60 pounds left to go and seven months before it will be ten months. At this point I just want to "get it done!" and I think MF can do it for me.

So stay with it. It's a really short period of time in your life, even though it seems like forever while you're living it, and it is totally, totally worth it.

Good luck, ladies!
270/186.5/160

24KaratGold
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby want2Bthin » March 28th, 2005, 10:02 am

Chloe-
I agree with all of the others so much. I am not as experienced as most of them but they always are very encouraging on this forum. I too had to nap a lot the first 3 or 4 days. My hubby will tell you I was very ugly for a few days too & I cried alot. I am on day 19 and feel awesome. I made it through Easter without one cheat, I didn't feel deprived either. What a great program. You can do this.
Angelia :lol:
want2Bthin
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Nancy » March 28th, 2005, 8:31 pm

Chloe ~

It takes a while before the feeling of self-induced depravation goes away. I felt like a sacrificial lamb for quite some time. I had no Forum or groupies to hang with when I felt like all my foody friends (truffles, tortillas and ice cream) would never ever be a part of my life again. I figured it would be shakes for life and those first weeks were pure ‘h’-‘e’-double hockey sticks. I went to bed at 7 PM to avoid TV commercials and to prevent myself from having a fooder right there in the cottage kitchen. I drove a different route to and from work to avoid the fast food drive up windows…

It gets better. Do NOT cave. You cannot afford to – it prolongs the agony and it defeats ya.

Have your husband :hammerhead: for a few days and when you come to, you’ll be in ketosis and it gets better then... :shock:

Welcome! You WILL survive. Eventually! ;)
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Return to Come on in.