Net Calories

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

Net Calories

Postby mellowmom » May 23rd, 2006, 10:44 pm

Not sure which forum this should be posted under, but here goes...

I've been using a software program to keep track of my calories, fats, carbs, protein, sugars, and sodium. It also keeps track of exercise. On those days when I exercise...which has pretty much been every day... if I deduct the calories I've worked off exercising from my total intake on Medifast, the net calories drop below 700 and on somedays has been closer to 500 calories per day. My question is should I be adding medifast meals to get my net calories up closer to 800, or does it even matter?

I noticed I've felt a little hungrier lately and have been inhaling my L&G Meals, when before I could barely finish them.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Carmel
Shaken AND Stirred
3/24/06
5'8" 334/213/165
Re-started 1/7/09
5'8" 325/165
mellowmom
Preferred Member - #120 Club

Postby mommaof3boys » May 24th, 2006, 7:35 am

Waiting for the answer because I use the same thing . . . has been quite an education!

My calories have been LOW and I have not lost this week . . . maybe too low?
Medifast start date 5/10/2006

5'6"

151/144/127
mommaof3boys
Trusted Member

Postby DntCryLilEmoGrl » May 24th, 2006, 8:50 am

what program are you using?
"Soon to be mrs sexy pants"
lilemo's getting married on April 6th 2008!!!!!

started changing my life 5/15/06
restarted 10/01/07
DntCryLilEmoGrl
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Ct. Yankee » May 24th, 2006, 9:07 am

Hi, I am sorry that I don't have a clue of an answer, but I am very interested in the software program--If you don't mind, could you name it for us. Thank you. Mellowmom, please take care of yourself, you are my inspiration! :)

Joan
Ct. Yankee
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Crystal » May 24th, 2006, 9:22 am

I think that is a problem. That is too few calories, in my opinion. That could be responsible for slowed or stopped weight loss. On this diet, less is not necessarily better. I would add a shake. If you do a search, Nancy has several posts about adding a shake or bar after exercise.

What program are you using? I use dietpower. I too, have learned alot about how my body responds to food and exercise.
Crystal
Crystal
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby mellowmom » May 24th, 2006, 9:30 am

I use the Calorie King Nutrition and Exercise Manager. It's amazing. Has tons of info on restaurants and all types of foods. It even has a number of Medifast meals in its database. Plus you can customize it to your own food favorites and restaurant meals. Plus it updates their food database weekly. Their website is very informative and they constantly add different food products to their database. You can get a seven day free trial off of their website, calorieking dot com. After the 7 days, if you decide you want to keep it, I think it costs $45.00.

It really has helped me see how being a little unbalanced in some areas, particularly sodium and carbs affects my individual weight loss patterns. It's the best tracking tool I've seen out there and the exercise component is great because it will deduct exercise calories burned and give you a more accurate calorie total.

I'm sounding like a commercial here...Check it out and let me know what you think.
Shaken AND Stirred
3/24/06
5'8" 334/213/165
Re-started 1/7/09
5'8" 325/165
mellowmom

Postby mommaof3boys » May 24th, 2006, 9:38 am

I have a program called Balance Log which I bought YEARS ago which I love for lots and lots of reasons and wrote a long post about why but then logged on their website and they voted to dissolve the company a month ago so not a great recommendation (although it IS a great program!)

Fitday is free and is supposed to be very good too.

5'6"

151/144/127
mommaof3boys
Trusted Member

Postby Nancy » May 24th, 2006, 10:36 am

Hi all ~

I would add another packet to your program.

One thing we need to know is that the TSFL Program moves us towards optimal health. Exercise is certainly an important component for good health but this program differs from the typical 'diet' that people are used to when they want to lose weight.

Dr. Andersen, the Medical Director for Medifast Diet and Take Shape For Life reminds us that diets don't work.

Most people have the mindset that a diet is a temporary period whereby one cuts back on fattening foods and exercises their brains out.

Our program is designed to teach us to eat low fat, balanced meals (notice we are not no-carb but rather low glycemic carbs) in a medically planned relationship to the protein we eat and to include some regular exercise. Our program is designed to give us some fat - just a skoshy but there is some fat in the products and the lean and green meal.

We want people to develop the habit of exercising on nearly a daily basis but the exercise we recommend during the weight loss phase when our calories and carbs are restricted is not marathon-like exercise. The maximum time one should exercise while on the weight loss phase is 40-45 minutes. We simply do not get enough calories to support a heavy-duty exercise regime.

We suggest walking briskly - most overweight people can harm their knees, feet and other joints if they are running. Strength training is good, too. Do some crunches. When we exercise, most likely we need an additional packet.

Once a person has transitioned and is ready for maintenance and having other foods that we have temporarily passed by, we can step up the intensity of our exercise because we will be taking in more calories. But to maintain our goal weight, we will need to continue to do the things we are learning now:

Eat breakfast. Every day.

Exercise. Every day if possible.

5-6-7 small meals, spaced throughout the day so the food we take in is burned and excess calories are not stored. Study portion sizes now so when you get to your goal, you remember how much to eat at one time. Choose foods that are low in fat and foods that are low-glycemic.

Have a meal plan for the day and be prepared at all times with healthy food.

Regularly monitor your weight. I weigh every day. Yup, I am weird-o-lah. For years, I did not weigh and I got into BIG TIME obesity trouble that way. Usually once a week is sufficient. When your zip up jeans get tight, go on the 5 & 1 for a week and get it off.

Hold yourself accountable for exercise and your weight to someone – it is vital! We cannot do this on our own; if we could, none of us would have gotten into foody trouble and be here. We need one another. Stay linked up with an encourager and a finger-wagger.

We all like to have someone whisper sweet nothings in our ear and we avoid those who tell us like it is. To be a real loser for the rest of our lives, we need the finger-waggers that look at our beams and tell us it looks like we’re chunking up a bit and to get back on the program…

Add another packet when you exercise. I prefer to use the bar before I go to the Y and a shake after the workout. Be sure to drink a lotta water while exercising as well as afterwards.
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby mommaof3boys » May 24th, 2006, 11:34 am

I weigh every day.

I do too which has gotten me in some trouble on this diet!

Seriously though - I maintained a weight of between 120-125 throughout my twenties by weighing every day. If the scale went over 125, I buckled down for a few days til it went under. . .

Then got pregnant and haven't seen those numbers since!

Weighing every day is the only way I can maintain the weight I want to be - too hard to lose if you weight til much creeps on!

5'6"

151/144/127
mommaof3boys
Trusted Member

Postby Bonnie » May 24th, 2006, 5:19 pm

Nancy, thanks for the (as usual) great advice!!!!

We are all so lucky to have Nancy advise us....
I lost 50lbs Through Take Shape for Life

Bonnie Wills
Bonnie

Postby Ct. Yankee » May 25th, 2006, 8:47 am

Hi Carmel, :D

Would you believe that I already had the Calorie King website bookmarked?! And, frequently I was using the portion/nutritient chart on the home page. But, did I bother to click onto the different topics at the top of the webpage? Duh!!! :roll: I also have the 2006 Calorie King calorie, fat, carb counter in paperback. Sheesh :roll:

I am definitely going to order the software and one of those great pedometers. The programs that you mentioned sound very good and most helpful. Thanks for the info, Carmel! Oh, and I am awake now!!!

Joan
Ct. Yankee

Postby Serendipity » May 25th, 2006, 10:31 am

I use a program called Fitday. The basic version is free to use online or you can download the expanded version for about $20. It has a food log, activity log, weight log, a journal, and a mood log. All of the information you input is put together on an overview page. There are lots of neat charts and graphs regarding calorie intake vs calories burned and weight lost vs. goals set, etc. You can also input all of the Medifast food nutritional data.
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Postby jump4joy » May 25th, 2006, 12:31 pm

I use a program called Diet & Exercise Assistant that I use in my handheld Palm. It has an extensive food database, and I add all the nutrition info into it as well. So I can quickly input everything I eat all day, because my Palm is small and easy to carry around. On very busy days, I just keep a food log paper on my kitchen counter and quickly jot down everything that goes in my mouth......I make myself accountable for every BITE. :mrgreen:
Motto: The time will pass whether I diet or not.
jump4joy
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby Ketann » May 25th, 2006, 1:59 pm

I use FitDay also. I really like it because I can add ingredient to create new meals to the Database. I usually know exactly what I'm going to eat that day (I prepack my MF meals in baggies a week or two ahead), so I insert them in that morning.
Being on MF food tracking doesn't seem to necessary, however I'm a diabetic, so I want to make sure I'm getting enough of what I need. Also hubby likes to track my intake and weight loss.

Keturah
Ketann
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Return to The Weight Room