Need some cake advice

Give us the skinny in the losers lounge.
(Anything off topic)

Need some cake advice

Postby Karli » July 14th, 2006, 10:02 pm

Okay, I am supposed to make enough cake to feed about 30ish people, so I thought I would make two, emmensly decadent round choco truffle cakes. Well, the problem is that I ran out of batter to make 2 complete cakes, and I was thinking I would run to the store and purchase an instant cake mix to make up for the second half of the second cake.

See, I got three rounds out of the batter that I made, but I needed 4. The three are made from scratch, so the fourth, if made from instant cake mix, would be noticeably different.

So, I was thinking... what if I made a triple decker ? Do you think that would feed everybody ? Probably people would be inspired to take less if it looks so tall... right ? I don't know what to do.

Supermom ?... anybody ?

*feels scared*

Karli
Karli
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby sidrah » July 15th, 2006, 3:02 am

Who is doing the cutting? small squares, think petit fours work well. When I catered I did that often, knowing that I brought many desserts. You can pre-cut after chilling and bring in metallic mini cupcake papers. Sprinkle w/ cocoa and make it pretty and no one wiill know the pieces are smaller than intended.

Is this the only dessert? I would contribute what I made and display it nicely, maybe w/ chocolates or rose petals, pop it on a nice tray and be done.
Don't really care as long as everything's better than yesterday was...

@}---- @}---- @}---- @}----
sidrah
Preferred member

Postby FluffyNoMore » July 15th, 2006, 6:33 am

Don't know if it's too late, but why don't you cut one of your layers in 1/2 and then you'll have 4 layers for two cakes. I usually make only 2 rounds, but I cut them in half to make a 4 layer cake... alright I love fillings and frosting. One layer will be smaller, unless you cut the other ones in half and have 3 layer cakes.
FluffyNoMore
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Arklahoma » July 15th, 2006, 7:18 am

I am definitely challenged in the kitchen so can't really offer any advice. Best of luck with your cake problem.
Arklahoma
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Karli » July 15th, 2006, 8:18 am

These are great suggestions. I am not sure who is going to do the cutting... maybe just each person ? I don't know. I am bringing the cake to the event, the event is not at my house.

Well, I made one triple decker. I know that there is no way people are going to be able to eat large pieces of this... it's just too chocolatey for that. But I think I still need to make something else. I have more frosting so I am either going to just go get a cake mix (or I guess I could get stuff to make it from scratch again.... but that's too scary since I can't taste the batter) and frost it with the truffle frosting... or I am going to make brownies and maybe frost those.

I am a little nervous because I had to use some brown sugar instead of some of the white I was supposed to put into the batter... and there were other complications, too. So, I am not sure how it is going to taste nor what the consistency is going to be of the cakes (I am thinking it's pretty dense). And, I used to ALWAYS taste what I make before I serve it, but in this case, of course I didn't. I am slightly afraid it's going to bomb. But, it's not the only dessert there... and so I guess we'll just see if people are trying to secretly throw away what they dished up and took one bite of... or if they are fighting for seconds :-P .

Thanks for your help :).

Karli
Karli
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby supermom » July 15th, 2006, 9:08 am

Oh Karli---I am so sorry I am so late logging on today. I could have most definitely helped you out of this one!! If you still need help with that extra stuff, or the extra dessert, I have a fool proof dessert recipe that uses a cake batter, you could use your leftover frosting, and it is made like a trifle, so it will feed a LOT of people. My private email is supermom82971 at yahoo dot com. I will turn on my instant messenger so I know when you reply.
supermom

Postby Prancer » July 15th, 2006, 7:56 pm

My husband and I also have a side business selling cakes so if you ever need help let me know. I know several tips to make a box mix taste more like home made and it is SO SO SO much easier.
Prancer

Return to What's Shakin'