I need some advice from you folks

Give us the skinny in the losers lounge.
(Anything off topic)

Postby Jan » May 22nd, 2007, 4:18 pm

Hi DeDe,
I've had lots and lots of experience with this ... mother-in-law, father-in-law, mom and Dad. It is very difficult to find the "right person". Interview lots and lots if possible. See how your granny does with the person and how that person does with your granny. If possilbe have someone make "unanounced visits" .. frequently. I would also 'catalog" all your granny's nice things and let the care give know you've done such. Take pictures. Don't give your granny access to too much money... they forget. Daddy used to just hand people his wallet :-(
I wish I had had a video camera for one "caregiver" who ended up in jail. It would have been very very helpful. Use an agency and get lots of references. I've had them all ... the good, the bad, the ugly and the truly terrible. Don't be trusting DeDe... I learned my lesson there too.
And as to the medic alert... Daddy refused to wear it .. set a box on top of it and called the medics at 11:30 pm..... They arrived to find him sleeping in his chair ... hmmmm... my brother in law also arrived :D
Daddy lived to be 100 years old.. stayed in his home .. and we helped.
His mind was good.. but he just got old. The best "caregiver" I ever had was an Rn from Fiji... who is now my "adopted daughter". I love her and her hubby. He just arrived in the US ..and is a Dr. I found her through the church.
jan
Jan
Preferred member

Previous

Return to What's Shakin'