Need a Medifast and Exercise EXPERT! (Nancy?)

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

Need a Medifast and Exercise EXPERT! (Nancy?)

Postby GucciGoo » June 1st, 2006, 7:24 am

Ok, before MF, I went to the gym 4 days per week. Each time I burned about 300 calories in cardio alone. After starting MF I have only been going maybe twice a week. I get off the cardio machine when I have burned 150 calories.

I would like to go 3x per week and burn 200-250 calories each time. Is there a system to figure out how much exercise is too much?

I also have only been losing about 2 pounds per week, and I wonder if this is because I need to exercise more? I would love to speed this up a bit. My 4 week weigh-in is tomorrow and I am sad to say that I only lost 11 pounds :( I have 6 weeks left until Bermuda and would love to see a 20 pound difference by then.

Thanks for any help you can give.
Last edited by GucciGoo on June 1st, 2006, 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BETH formerly known as Dark & Stormy
GucciGoo
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Mom23 » June 1st, 2006, 7:42 am

As far as the proper MF way to figure all of this out, I can't really help you. But I do know that if you are burning too many calories and don't have enough intake of calories (remember, MF is a calorie restricted program) you can actually cause your body to stall in the weight loss, slow down in the weight loss, (and I've heard of people (in other diet programs)or even gain :shock: weight. Your body thinks you are starving it, so it has a built in mechanism to protect itself. (it gives me chills :) when I think how awesome God is that he thought of all of the minute details when he created us!).

You may need to add a shake or even switch to the 70 Shakes for added protein and a little more calories... I'm sure that Nancy or another HA can add the "official" word!
Bobbi
RE-start date: 10/27/06 (33lbs lost; 12 gained=21 lost on MF prior to re-start)
Mom23
Preferred Member - #30 Club

how to figure out exercise calories-

Postby celticmelody » June 1st, 2006, 10:52 am

Try calorie-count dot com a free site that, in addition to listing calorie & nutrient compounds of every food imaginable, you can look up calorie counts of different exercises.

I'm doing hula & belly dance videos (don't have the confidence to take a class yet) because they are really FUN and don't take alot of exertion.

At my weight, I burn a HOT 408 (yes 408) calories an hour. So, I do half-an-hour 3Xs a week.

In the comfort and privacy of my own home.
(When I get to 180 pounds, I'm buying my own grass skirt-LOL)

I've been using calorie-count dot com (Medifast actualy told me about the site!) to pick the veggies-from the allowable list- with the most nutrients. Who knew cucumbers were high in potassium?

I'm shakin' my fat away!!!! LOL

PS How do you add the emiticons to your posts?

<edit>edited url - UT</edit>
216/203/135
celticmelody

Postby GucciGoo » June 1st, 2006, 10:55 am

Thanks Celtic. I already know how many calories I am burning- what I want to know is how many calories we are ALLOWED to burn. For instance, your 408 calories burned on a 900 calorie diet means you are only taking in <500 calories a day and your body will go into shutdown mode at some point.
GucciGoo

Postby DogMa » June 1st, 2006, 11:06 am

You can call the Medifast nurse for guidance, but I doubt anyone can give you a specific answer. We're all different, and it's not as simple as calories in vs. calories burned.

That said, 2 pounds a week is a good rate of loss. The average is 2-5 pounds a week on Medifast, with men and people with more weight to lose generally losing at the higher rate, and women with less extra weight losing more slowly.

Going overboard with exercise or cutting calorie excessively to try to force a faster loss isn't a good idea, unless you'd like to end up with a seriously slowed-down metabolism like mine. If you're averaging 2 pounds a week, then you will be down 33 pounds total by the time you go.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Jan » June 2nd, 2006, 5:57 pm

You've received good advice. Please don't increase your exercise thinking it will help you lose faster. It won't and as has been pointed out --you just may not lose at all or lose at a much slower rate. The suggestion for exercise is to not exercise for more than 45 minutes at a moderate rate. That's about all the extra calories you have. We worry if you exercise tooo much that your body will begin to burn muscle tissue or you may become dehydrated. Neither of which is a good thing. It's a great idea to call the nurse to get the specifics for you. She is a great resource.
jan
Jan
Preferred member

Postby Arklahoma » June 3rd, 2006, 1:25 pm

Last time I chatted with MF, I was told to not exceed 10-20 minutes of light cardio three times per week, so you're probably burning too many calories. Check with the source to see what's best for you.
Arklahoma

Postby mamabear » June 3rd, 2006, 8:11 pm

Arklahoma wrote:Last time I chatted with MF, I was told to not exceed 10-20 minutes of light cardio three times per week, so you're probably burning too many calories. Check with the source to see what's best for you.

I never thought I would say this- but damn! I have been doing way too much exercise! :lol: No wonder I'm not losing any weight! :(
mamabear
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby mellowmom » June 3rd, 2006, 10:37 pm

I had a similar question/problem and was advised by Nancy to add another shake to my daily intake if I wanted to continue exercising daily.
Shaken AND Stirred
3/24/06
5'8" 334/213/165
Re-started 1/7/09
5'8" 325/165
mellowmom
Preferred Member - #120 Club
Preferred Member - #120 Club

Postby Arklahoma » June 4th, 2006, 2:04 pm

Presently, I don't exercise at all. Early on in the program, I went on a truly strenuous hike for about an hour and a half. Not on purpose, the path I chose was a new area and I had no idea what the terrain would be. I'm talking really steep inclines and rough terrain ... heart thumping - almost couldn't catch my breath a few times. I'll admit that I loved it and my husband was shocked that he didn't have to slow down his pace for me or stop to wait up for me. But I didn't lose anything for almost two weeks and then my weight loss was extremely dismal. Personally, I think I get plenty of exercise at work for the diet that I'm on but I know I'll have to kick it up later when real food enters the mix.
Arklahoma

Postby GucciGoo » June 5th, 2006, 5:24 am

Ok, I am going to to the gym 3x per week- Mon, Weds, Fri and do 10 minutes of cardio, ab exercises, plus very light arm & leg weights.

That should help me tone, but not effect my caloric intake.
GucciGoo

Postby Arklahoma » June 5th, 2006, 1:15 pm

Best of luck to you!!!
Arklahoma

Return to Weight Loss