Need Advice to Prep for Vacation

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

Need Advice to Prep for Vacation

Postby star85 » June 21st, 2004, 6:32 am

Hi All,
I just got back from my family reunion on Chincoteaque Island, Virginia. It was wonderful! I'm re starting Medifast again today. Didn't gain any weight. I'm leaving for Colorado in 2 weeks. I'll be driving out there with my Aunt and my kids for another family reunion on my father's side of the family. I'll be staying out there for about 6 weeks. It takes about 3 days at least ( with stops ) to get there. I'm thinking of buying 2 cases of RTD shakes and keep them in a cooler for the ride out there and ride back. While I'm there I can make my powdered shakes most of the time and use my RTD'S while traveling and site seeing. It will be hard though when the family gets together for Bar-B-Q's, dinners, etc. I feel bad because I can picture my Aunts making a beautiful spread for everyone and working hard in the kitchen all day and then while everyone is enjoying a great homemade meal, I'll be sitting there drinking my shake! Since I'm going to be there for most of the summer I was hoping to use that time to lose some more weight and come back to New Jersey thinner. Any advice greatly appreciated. Once I get some feed back from you guys I'll figure out what to order to take out there with me.

Thanks,
Kelyn
star85
Trusted Member - #20 Club

Postby Carrie » June 21st, 2004, 6:52 am

Kelyn,

I'm in a similar situation - I leave next week for one vacation and have another planned for August. I would have liked to have taken all RTD's with me - but my luggage would've been WAY too heavy and I was worried about the boxes leaking too. I'm taking enough RTD's to get me through my 2 travel days, and for the rest of the time I've ordered powdered shakes. I also use the bars, so I'm taking some of them.

I have decided not to take my scale, (I'll only be gone 8 days each time) and I have to decided to allow myself the one lean/green meal per day. That decision was based on my previous experience at a conference when I ate a lean/green every day and had above average (for me) weight loss that week. That way I do get to have some actual meals with my family, without compromising my program.

Don't worry about not eating the food family members prepare for you. If they love you, they'll understand and they want you to be healthy and happy. All that food will be there next year - and the year after that and the year after that. I've been thinking about that know that I have to forgo those favorites - you know Aunt Marie's homemade stuffing and strawberry pie, Aunt Pat's broccoli cheese casserole, all that stuff. They'll still be making it next year, and this year I need to keep losing more than I need to indulge myself.

I've also scheduled program encouraging things. Aunt Marie and I are going to hit the thrift stores to hunt for clothes for me. My stuff is too big now (YAY!) but I certainly don't want to pay retail for clothes I won't need very long anyway. So just the act of shopping for the smaller sizes is affirming, and keeps my mind on what's most important.

Also, talk to Pam - she had a vacation a few months ago that she made it through with flying colors - or I guess review her old posts. She did all sorts of prep and it certainly worked for her.

Have fun!

Carrie
Now: 2/5/07: 233.6/220.0/145
1st time: 3/1/04, from 266.5 to 195.4
Carrie
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby star85 » June 21st, 2004, 10:06 am

THANKS FOR THE GREAT ADVICE CARRIE!

KELYN
star85
Trusted Member - #20 Club

Postby Marseilles » June 21st, 2004, 11:29 am

Hello fellow vacationers!!

Having just arrived back from a weeklong trip to TX I am pleased to report I did not gain any weight. I didnt see any loss either, but Im okay with that. I switched from the full program to the modifed and had good success with it, although if doing the vacation over again I would continue to do the full program.

I do have a couple of suggestions for those thinking the RTD's in a cooler along the way. It was my experience that the ice in the cooler tended to damage the product packaging and made me grumpy. It didnt ruin it, but it wasnt quite so pristine so I took to putting two inside a ziplock freezer bag and always keeping two bags in the cooler. Also, if you shop at Sams Club, they carry a very convenient 20oz water bottle that tended to be the right height for my cooler and left lots of room for ice. I kept a case of water in my car along with my RTD's and then I had NO excuse at all to vary from the program unless I CHOSE to, by having the lean/green meal.

Also, for those dining at restaurants and/or with family, I have found that I can go into ANY restaurant and request food exactly as I like it prepared, even if it is not something on the menu. One of my favorites is blackened chicken breast and steamed asparagus or broccoli with lemon. Really very tasty with the blackening spices.

A good guide for ordering and consumption is to remember that 4-5 ounces of LEAN meat will resemble about the palm of a womans hand, about 1/2 inch in thickness when cooked. I tend to treat myself to a little better cut of meat, I find a 4oz filet mignon to be VERY satisfying.

Realizing that the temptation will always be there, and so will all the sinful foods our Grandmas and Aunts and families tend to prepare is half the battle. Be PROUD of your journey and simply state to them that it is important to YOU to succeed and it would be my guess that you will receive a HUGE vote of confidence and a complete willingness to help you along your path to success.

The good news about families (for the most part), is that they also want to see you happy and generally dont have too many ulterior motives. If Grandma or Auntie fusses or insists, tell her how much MORE you will appreciate it when you can indulge free of guilt at your target weight and how much you look forward to her preparing a meal that celebrates your success later on down the road. Be firm and be loving, make it clear that you will not waiver and she will soon respect your resolve.

I hope you all have wonderful vacations and a very safe trip!!

Do up your seatbelts!!
-M.
:)
Marseilles
Preferred member

Return to Come on in.