1 pound young zucchini

1 pound young pattypan squash

2 large red or orange bell peppers***

1 bunch green onions

1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil

2 tablespoons minced garlic

Salt and pepper, to taste

1 lemon, freshly juiced , optional

Wash vegetables and pat dry, leaving stems on eggplant, zucchini and pattypan squash. Cut eggplant and zucchini lengthwise into 1-inch thick slices.

Quarter pattypan squash. Stem and seed peppers; cut into quarters lengthwise. Remove rootlets from green onions and trim tops to a uniform length.

On a baking sheet, combine oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Rub oil mixture onto vegetables, taking care to see that eggplant and squashes are particularly well-coated.

Prepare fire for direct-heat cooking. If using a gas grill, use presoaked mesquite or other hardwood chips to add a smoky flavor. If using charcoal, use presoaked hardwood chunks.

When fire is ready, lightly oil grill and, using tongs, arrange all vegetables on the grilling rack. Work quickly, closing lid as soon as possible to prevent flare-ups. To prevent smaller pieces of vegetables from falling into the briquettes, lay the pieces crosswise to the wires of the grill rack. Alternatively, use a preheated perforated metal grill rack to hold the vegetables as they cook.

After about 4 or 5 minutes, turn vegetables with a spatula. Brush extra oil on eggplant and any other vegetables that appear to be drying out. Close lid. Vegetables should be tender in another 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer vegetables to a platter; sprinkle lemon juice over them, and serve at once.

Source: Universal Press Syndicate

***When I made this, I just omitted the peppers, as I do not like them, and MF suggests only green peppers!!
supermom
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Tankie » July 12th, 2006, 11:51 pm

It says red, green or yellow peppers are allowed in the quick start guide....

Amy
It's been swell but the swelling's gone down...

Tankie
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby Nancy » July 13th, 2006, 12:02 am

Green peppers are the pepper of choice - the reds, oranges and yellers are a bit higher is sugar/carbs. You may use the pretty ones for salad toppers but as a general rule, I'd suggest avoid using much more than a garnishette serving of the pretty peppers. Some of you will do fine with them but for most of us, greens are the go peppers.

Supermom, this sounds tasty - you mention it makes 3 or 4 servings, I assume it provides 1.5 cup portion sizes, eh?
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby supermom » July 13th, 2006, 9:33 am

Almost. The recipe is actually just a regular recipe and most people don't eat 1 1/2 cups of one veggie at a time. We have either a small salad or some grilled mushrooms as well when we have this. I made it last night with an orange ginger salmon and grilled cabbage and it was a deliciously and simple meal. We had friends over, and they didn't even realize they were eating a "medimeal".
supermom
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Return to Lean Cuisine