Medifasting While in the Hospital?

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

Medifasting While in the Hospital?

Postby rodeomom » December 14th, 2007, 8:02 pm

Ok, so I am schedualed for ankle surgery on Dec 21st and I know I will be required to stay in the hospital at least one night, though it is possible I will be there 2 or 3 nights. Of course there is the standard "nothing to eat or drink for at least 8 hours before surgery". The surgery is supposed to be at 11am, by then I will have been completely "fasting" for about 16 hours. I know when I wake up they are going to ask me to eat something, usually toast. At this point, I am struggling with staying on plan. While I haven't eaten anything off plan, it is an hourly fight, that I have not experienced since I started.

I am almost to the point where I feel I need to take a break for a couple of days anyway. Maybe I am just looking for an excuse, I don't know. I don't need lectures on how hard it will be to get back on plan. I completely understand that. I re-read my rant about people cheating and reminded myself of the financial cost and all the other crap associated with going off plan. Even though I continue to be compliant, I am just finding it REALLY difficult to continue on plan right now and I need some help.

All that being said, if you were in my situation would you try to continue to Medifast while in the hospital or just try to eat reasonably while in the hospital? (not that hospital food is any better than MF)
09/21/07 - 12/21/07 Lost 80 Pounds Ankle Surgery 12-21-07
rodeomom
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Mike » December 15th, 2007, 12:40 am

I would follow what your Dr. wants you to do. If he thinks its okay to follow MF, then he can write in the orders for that. You will probably want to do a bit more though to help heal.

:mrgreen:
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby bikipatra » December 15th, 2007, 4:34 am

I was in the hospital for about a week this summer. I ate hospital food because they heard the word "supplement" and saw that there was a Cappuccino flavor (no caffeine allowed!!!) and said there might be medication interactions and I should have had it pre-approved (as if I knew I would go bonkers.) You think medical professionals would have heard of Medifast. Gratefully, somehow I didn't gain any weight in the hospital. If I were in your shoes, I would try to continue on Medifast. I am interested in hearing about "needing a break" from the program. Do you just want to try to eat normal foods for a while or are you tired of the supplements? As you may know, I stopped Medifast in late September because my therapist felt I would continue in my bulimic behavior and it would get worse if I didn't go back to eating regular meals. She was right and even though after a few days I ended up on WW Core it took me a LONG time to get to goal. I support you in any decision you make because I now it is a fully informed one. You know what is right for you, more than me or even a doctor. Good luck in your decision process.
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby lifelovinaries » December 15th, 2007, 6:52 am

have you had your pre-admission testing yet? If not i would say to take the nutrition facts to the dr. with you and ask their opinion based upon the nutrition that the supplements provide. But as mike said, you may need a few extra to help in healing. At this point, let the dr. decide. Either way, it will only be a few days and as long as you go into it with the mindset that you will jump right back OP, the worst thing that could happen is that you would slow your losses for a couple of days which would not really be a big deal in the scheme of things.

restart: 01/04/10
lifelovinaries
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby rodeomom » December 15th, 2007, 1:18 pm

Thanks all! I probably won't know how I will handle it until I am there. My pre-admin testing will be the morning of the surgery. My doctor is aware of MF and is happy to see my progress considering my surgery is on my ankle and less weight will certainly be better for my ankle.

Biki - as for needing a break, I think it is a combination of the two. I am getting tired of the MF foods to a point. There are only so many ways you can make a shake before it gets old. The other part to it is that I do want to have some regular foods, I am not even talking about candy and stuff. This week my daughter's FFA fruit came in and I see all this citrus sitting around and I would REALLY like to have an orange or an apple. I am still evaluating my reasoning for wanting a break. I think some of the issue is that I am fighting the depression side of my borderline right now and everything is a yucky shade of grey. Does it make sense to say that food tastes grey? Well, it does for me.

Thanks for your support Biki. It really does mean a great deal to me.
09/21/07 - 12/21/07 Lost 80 Pounds Ankle Surgery 12-21-07
rodeomom
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Return to Weight Loss