Medifasting For Teens

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

Medifasting For Teens

Postby 24KaratGold » April 4th, 2005, 4:39 pm

I have a 16 and a half year old son who might be interested in trying Medifast for awhile. Is there any reason why teens shouldn't be doing the 5 and 1, or any products that are a better choice than others for teens? Would the number of ounces of protein for a lean and green meal be the same as for males generally? Are there any "tweaks" to the program for teens? He's not in to sports, but he does walk a lot to get where he's going.

As a teen he has poor feeding habits. :mrgreen: They'd rather sleep late than eat breakfast, so he was skipping that meal until I introduced him to the S'more bars, and now he takes one of those with him on his walk to school in the morning. He does also drink a lot of water.

Suggestions? Hints?
270/186.5/160

24KaratGold
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby scrabbler7 » April 4th, 2005, 4:57 pm

Hey 24K - what a great role model you are for your son! Now how many 16 y/o boys would show that much interest in their parent to not only support but want to embark on that same journey ... you are certainly doing something right my friend! Kudos go out to you.

I don't have the answer to your question, though LOL

I don't know that it would be any different - I mean a 16y/o is pretty much an adult ... still growing perhaps ... so I would say definitely follow the male plan - maybe the 70 shakes instead of the 55's for more protein (I actually have one 70 shake myself everyday, for some reason they help get me "moving" while I found the normal 55 plan keeps me from "going" -- little bathroom references there!)

I'm sure when Nancy gets back she will let you know the MF rules on teens. Why don't you PM her in case she takes a while getting through all these posts -- geez there sure are a ton now aren't there?
scrabbler7
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby bk » April 4th, 2005, 6:14 pm

I am taking this advice from what I know WW to modify for teens. WW considers female teens under 16 to be adolescent, but male teens under *19* to be. On WW kids are supposed to get about 100 extra calories and required to have 3 milk/dairy servings a day.

I personally think MF to be a be drastic for a 16 year old boy unless he is seriously obese. I think the teenage years (especially with your excellent example of finding health) are the optimum time to introduce him to the way to eat right. Maybe MF is part of that equation for him. (Especially if he wants to start working out and impressing the ladies, the protein is so important!). But he is DEFINITELY still growing and to me that contraindicates the use of MF as a weight loss device. UNLESS, as I said, he has a lot of weight to lose. I would suggest you call the nurse (I know Nancy has the number) and ask her questions.

He might have trouble getting the shakes in at school (then again, if he just calls them protein shakes they should be well accepted).

As for getting moving, he does NOT have to play sports. Fitness should be a part of his life! How I wish my family did the physical fitness togetherness thing! What teen boy doesn't want to be buff?!

This is a difficult decision that you will have to make with your son & his doctor & nancy's advice & the MF nurse's advice. I'm just piping in on my thoughts here!
bk
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby dlr2424 » April 4th, 2005, 6:25 pm

24K ...I think in the MF phamplet it covers Fit for Kids..and what they should eat....(getting started brochure)...also I would call the nurse or email her...I know I have info at home as I wanted my neice to try it...i'll let you know when I get home

Donna...dlr2424

There's nothing to great that God won't provide me the strength to endure...all I need to do is ask Him
dlr2424
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Nancy » April 13th, 2005, 12:58 am

Whoopsy...sorry I missed this post...still trying to get caught up after being in Canada...folks, if there are dangling questions, please send me a PM...

I just wrote and posted an article for the April Specials and outlined some points regarding weight loss for kids.

We do have some kids that use the Fit! Products for breakfast and snacks in conjunction with healthy meals.

Most families are so strapped for time in the morning that a lot of children head for school with no breakfast in their tummies and then eat at school…or they grab something high fat/sugary/high calorie along the way.

We suggest having a Fit! RTD and a Fit! Bar for breakfast or make a serving of the Fit! Oatmeal and then have an RTD at school.

Use Fit! Shakes and pudding for after school or evening snacks. Replace higher calorie food with Medifast products.

The regular MF product line is excellent for kids, too. There is everything good in the products and you can give them to your children with confidence.

It is important to meet with your physician and get a recommendation for the caloric level for your teen. Work around two healthy meals for lunch and supper and use the MF products to fill in the day’s meal plans.

Kids really do need to refuel often throughout the day so eating every 2.5 to 3 hours is best or them, too.

Keep plenty of water on hand for them. Many kids today grew up on OJ and Apple juice – they rarely drink water. Juice is pure sugar = carbs = spikes in blood glucose/ stored fat. Shortly after a big jolt like that come feelings of wonkiness and the kids get drowsy and feel lousy when their blood sugar drops again. It is far better to eat the whole fruit than to drink the juice.
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Return to Weight Loss