Medifast + Atkins?

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

Medifast + Atkins?

Postby dietReject » July 10th, 2005, 10:59 pm

I'm not really sure if this is the place to ask so forgive the possible mis-posting. I've been doing some research into a few diets and I came across Medifast on my trek through the various diet websites.

I've searched the forums and don't think this has ever been asked, but are Medifast and Atkins compatible diet plans? My plan was to incorporate Atkins designed lunch and dinners with the Medifast shakes/bars/soups. I know weight loss would not be as great if I stuck strictly to the Medifast plan but I'm trying to ingrain healthy eating habits as soon as possible to make sure the weight loss is permanent.

I have no qualms sticking to one or the other, I gave each a week long "test run" as it were (and lost ~12 lbs to boot, yay!) and had no problems so that's really a non-issue at this point. Just hoping to clear a few remaining questions.

Thank you.
dietReject
First Post

Postby Unca_Tim » July 11th, 2005, 8:25 am

Hi DR and welcome to the forum,
Mixing any 2 "diets" may not be the best idea. Each diet has certain and different methods designed to make them work properly.

As a time tested (over 25 years), clinically designed and approved (Johns Hopkins) program, the Medifast weight loss plan was designed to work with a balance of protein, carbs and fats. Trying to combine 2 different methods may not give you the proper balance that is required during your weight loss phase.

With the addition of "Take Shape for Life" the total plan of Medifast/Take Shape for life, leads you through transition and into maintenance and provides you with the information and tools to develop healthy eating habits and maintain your optimum weight.

My suggestion would be not to try to combine "diet" plans.
Unca
"Failure is a choice"
~From a dream~
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Postby Unca_Tim » July 11th, 2005, 8:32 am

As an afterthought to your question,

In case your were unaware, the basic Medifast 5/1 plan, does incorporate 1 lean/green regular food meal to your daily schedule and begins the process of teaching you healthy eating habits.
Unca
"Failure is a choice"
~From a dream~
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Postby dlr2424 » July 11th, 2005, 10:58 am

DietR.........(IMHO)...I think MEDIFAST ROCKS in comparisson to Atkins.. :hmmm: ...having experienced both plans I would have to say MF is safer...easier....healthier........faster weight loss..... :yes: ....well I could write a book on the advantages.... :huh: ....so again this is only my opinion but I was so relieved to realize that MF far outweighed ATKINS as that was the plan I was previously on..... :mrgreen: ....
Donna....dlr2424

There's nothing to great that God won't provide me the strength to endure...all I need to do is ask Him
dlr2424
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Nancy » July 11th, 2005, 9:05 pm

:shock: Oh, my!

How do I go about this, write a short answer to your inquiry and not open up a whole major discussion about the pros and cons of OTHER weight loss programs – which I ABSOLUTELY do not want to do.

Dear, dear DIEtreject…thank you for your apology in advance and for qualifying your question askage.

I do not want our MakeMeThinner Forum to become a place to diss other programs or other products.

Unca and dldl2424 your replies are perfect-o. :hi5:

This is a support Forum for people using Medifast products…

Since you asked, I shall write my brief :puterboos: editorial here and then leave it.

Disclaimer: I do not like to put myself out there at times – there is too much room for me to be misunderstood in a setting such as this and it is not my desire to have people get cheesed at me or porked-off.

I don’t have a lot of time to become involved in lengthy discussions – I am a v-e-r-y s-l-o-w :puter: typist…

Re:
Medifast and Atkins compatible diet plans

IMHO, Atkins is not a well balanced approach to weight loss.

We do not recommend using Medifast products with other weight loss programs or products.

My first thought is, :idontknow: WHY?

:scratchhead: Why wouldja want to? :huh:

I refer you to my February 2004 Newsletter for my take on this. http://www.makemethinner.com/newsletter/medifast-february-newsletter.htm

My Motto is: Don’t Mess With Medifast and the Take Shape for Life Program…

Atkins is a DIEt.

To borrow a quote from Dr. Wayne Scott Andersen, Medical Director for Take Shape for Life and Medical Director for Medifast Diet (funny, eh?! Part of the title of the name of the company includes the word ‘diet’); “DIEts don’t work.” :twisted:

Once the DIEt is over, many people regain their weight and sometimes additional weight.

Medifast is a product; TSFL is a safe, effective, long-lasting PROgram (I capitalized PRO to help others to realize this is a professional approach to weight management – it was used initially in clinical settings with physicians for nearly a quarter of a century, has been used at Johns Hopkins Weight Management Center, in studies by the National Institute of Health and at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health among other institutions and is shown to help people lose weight quickly, safely and many coexisting health conditions were improved as well.

Now coupled with Health Advisors, people lose weight safely and effectively using the nutritious Medifast products and they keep it off if the go through the transition and maintenance phases of the program.

I am one person. I lost 135 pounds and have kept it off for 2 years and 5 months.

Long-term success is attained through the TSFL Program, not necessarily just by using the Medifast products.

:roll: Confused?

Medifast is the product and the TSFL Program is the program that enables you to continue to be healthy and to keep the weight off for a lifetime.

Lifetime success takes a mind change; it includes our BeSlim™ Philosophy (See below. I am including it again.) and the personal support of a qualified Health Advisor.

This is not just a one month or a short term project but it truly is a prescription for life.

Many people have misunderstandings about our products and programs.

It is not a liquid diet – there are many products – some of the products are liquids - but we have a wide variety of products and flavors.

It is not a starvation diet – again, it is a nutritiously balanced program, most people are not hungry after the first few days.

I am not an expert with the Atkins Plan – I ate a load of bacon, cheese, pork rinds, butter (Oh, lemme tell ya, I ate a lot of sweet creamy yellowy butter - by the CUBE – I looked like a FLUFFY sun shiny yellow glowing porky Chubbette ), I ate steak and chork pops when we could afford it, I ate whole chickens and bobbed my head and pecked the ground looking for carbs…primarily because Atkins is a high protein/low carb (and High FAT!) diet.

It is not balanced.

IMHO (again, our Forum is designed for supporting people on the Take Shape for Life Program using Medifast products), Atkins is not nutritious, not good for your body and very few adults would allow their young children to spend 7 months or 7 years eating what they would normally eat on the typical daily Atkins plan.

As with all DIEts, many individuals regain their weight. We have a lot of DIEt drop-outs tuning in here at MakeMeThinner – a LOT of former Atkins People here – who found our program allows them to lose a load of lardage, to FEEL great, to LOOK great, to BE healthy and to STAY healthy.

Generally, Atkins People become carbollically challenged and they have raging carb attacks because UNLIKE our Medifast products and meals, the typical Atkins meals do not include a balance of the macronutrients – therefore, = rebound weight gain. :x

I am neither a dietician nor a physician but I do understand the importance of eating a balanced daily meal plan.

Children can use Medifast products every single day - multiple times a day for a healthy nutritious low fat/low cal snack and as an occasional meal replacement (It is absolutely NOT recommended that one restricts calories for children and adolescents. Weight loss programs for adolescents must be under the strict supervision of a physician, not a Health Advisor).

Nope, we recommend that you do not combine Medifast and Atkins.

I get calls, emails and comments all the time from people who tell me, “Oh, I am very disciplined, I can use some of the products here with my ‘sensible meals.’ I can do it in a balanced way" – again, I say, WHY? :shades:

If you want to lose weight, use the tried and true program - the program that has the results – substantiated results.

:secret: Don’t add to it; don’t subtract from it.

It is the healthiest, the most nutritious and easiest way to deflab.

If you want to just use the products for healthy snacks or occasional meal replacements – sure it’s fine!

We have many people who may not need to lose very much weight or who are not in a race ( :redhead: some of you ARE in a race and you know it!) who use Medifast products for a quick breakfast and an in-between meal snack.

Some use several of the Medifast products in conjunction with regular food meals at lunch and supper. Yup, you can do that!

Just be SURE your regular food meals are nutritiously well-balanced meals. :hmmm:

DIEtReject, I think that may be what you were getting at – see how hard this can be at times for me to know what a person is asking.

:pet: If you want to get the flab job done, Little Darlin’, then I respectfully submit, do it the TSFL way.

Here’s the BeSlim™ Philosophy for your reading pleasure, that is, I your eyeballs have not burned out from reading my lengthy blabbage above…

BE SLIM…for life!

Breakfast – It’s critical for your body to start the day properly! You need high quality fuel – protein and carbohydrates – to give you the nutrition you need for energy and mental clarity to cope with today’s demands. Breakfast is our most critical meal and yet one third of Americans fail to begin their day with it. However, with successful adaptation of the Optimal Health philosophy and our convenient meal replacement products, you will always eat breakfast!

Exercise – Exercise is a key component to our lifestyle because it enhances so many aspects of our lives. It increases our metabolism so we will burn fuel, it provides us with greater flexibility and strength, it improves our bone structure and posture, it increases our mental clarity, improves our immune system, to name just a few of the benefits. Although not necessary in the beginning phase of a weight–loss program, adding a daily activity of aerobic exercise or weight resistance training is essential for Optimal Health.

Support - A key component to stay on track in adopting an Optimal Health lifestyle is having the support of a Health Advisor to provide the necessary coaching, tools and education. If you have a caring coach and mentor, that person can support you with your healthy goals, stay in touch as you advance through your journey to a healthier life, tweak your program if needed, discuss “issues” you may be having, and provide knowledge. In addition, with Take Shape for Life, you have access to the Virtual Clinic on the web and you can participate on all the interactive Nurse, Doctor and Maintenance Calls.

Low fat meals - 5-6 times a day. Eating frequently, controlling portion sizes and total calories, and restricting fat intake are key cornerstones for Optimal Health. Unfortunately, it is virtually impossible with our hectic lives to achieve these objectives without tremendous effort and expense. Take Shape for Life provides the logical solution with low fat meal replacements and convenience, delivering high quality fast food to help maintain our health goals.

Individual Plan- We all need a PLAN for eating properly. Proper menu planning – which in maintenance includes 2 to 3 meal replacements a day – and adapting the skills and strategies you’ll need to navigate thru a hostile environment full of temptations and nutritional pollution, are keys to adopting an Optimal Health lifestyle.

Monitor - Once you’ve achieved your healthy weight goal, you’ll want to stay there. Frequent monitoring is the key. Simply weighing yourself on a regular basis, or trying on an old pair of jeans once a week to check how they fit, can literally catch a problem before it gains momentum!

:byebye:
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby mytime » July 11th, 2005, 9:36 pm

Thanks Nancy - I needed that, Mytime
Nothing changes if nothing changes.
Restart Feb 15 2009
mytime
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby DogMa » July 12th, 2005, 10:26 pm

I don't want to get into an Atkins argument, either (I'm decidedly on the pro side usually), but ... the Medifast lean and green meal is very definitely Atkins-friendly. Atkins meals are supposed to consist of protein and nonstarchy vegetables, same as Medifast. So if you want to, look at it as eating a low-fat and portion-restricted Atkins meal (and Atkins certainly doesn't require people to eat a lot of fat, even though many people on the plan do).

I eat virtually the same thing for my lean and green that I would have eaten on Atkins - except I leave the butter off the broccoli now.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Return to Weight Loss