Atkins VS Medifast

Give us the skinny in the losers lounge.
(Anything off topic)

Atkins VS Medifast

Postby Zinkette99 » July 7th, 2006, 8:05 pm

I have a friend who thinks Atkins is going to work better for her then MF. I have never been on Atkins so I have no clue how to argue this. I know many of you HAVE been on Atkins. What are the pitfalls? She claims you can lose faster on Atkins although I have no idea how that is possible.
25 years old
5'8
Started MF'ing: 6/5/06
267/247/135

"Strive for perfection, allow for error. If you haven't given up, you haven't failed."
Courtesy of ChiNut :):)
Zinkette99
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Atkins vs. Medifast

Postby angelhugs98 » July 7th, 2006, 8:13 pm

Well, speaking from experience (I tried Atkins about 3 years ago), the weight loss was about equal, but the variety is MUCH better on Medifast. I only lasted 2 weeks on Atkins before I caved in. I am finishing week three now on Medifast with no end in sight! :D
Angelhugs98 :)
Started Medifast June 19, 2006
268/250/150
angelhugs98

Re: Atkins VS Medifast

Postby BerkshireGrl » July 7th, 2006, 8:21 pm

IMHO, you can lose faster on Atkins compared to a *normal low-fat diet*, but not Medifast.

I have been on Atkins, have lost weight on it, yes, but 1-2 pounds a week, not the 3 I average with Medifast. Plus while I love bacon, meat and cheese, I actually have more energy on the MF. But that's me...

But I would say across the board because MF is dramatically low in calories, most people will lose faster on it than on Atkins.

I mean, in my experience, you should choose what YOU feel most comfortable with. If she wants to do Atkins, hey, more power to her! I think if done properly (with a big salad/veggies every day! And no porking out on the cheese! Heh!), that it can be a healthy way to lose weight and remarkably, to improve cholesterol and other problems.

It definitely stabilized my blood sugar! And the protein in it keeps people full longer and they eat less food = weight loss. Plus I read a theory that there is a 300 daily calorie 'allowance' on Atkins - that is to say, if Dieter A eats 1500 calories of low-fat foods, they'll lose 2 pounds a week. But Dieter B on Atkins can eat 1800 calories, lose the same... because the fat/proteins require more energy to digest. So the theory goes :) (I just gave a rough example, but the added buffer in the study was 300 calories.)

I found that there can be a lot of variety on Atkins... there are several good low-carb cookbooks out there, esp. by Dana Carpender.

Pitfalls of Atkins: hmm...

1) If done incorrectly, without enough focus on keeping greens in the plan, you can get tremendously constipated. I mean, for days and days.

2) It can be expensive to buy meats/cheese/seafood, etc, especially if you are trying to go organic beef, etc. (But really, maybe cheaper than MF, so this is kinda a red-herring non-issue.)

3) Your breath can get super stinky from ketosis.

4) It could lead to people going carb-crazy from withdrawal if they stay on Induction too long... and if they go on a carb fest regularly and cycle back and forth between Atkins/carb-loading, that is The Best Way Ever to get really, really fat. Trust me, I know. ;)

5) Gotta watch salt on it if you are sensitive and eat a lot of processed meats - bacon, hot dogs, deli meats. Your salt intake can go through the roof and you don't notice until your ankles look like the Michelin Man (again, I know all about this. Shoulda known better!)

But really, in my opinion, no big pitfalls on Atkins. Just a personal decision for each person, I say... I'll take my 3 pounds a week though and non-stinky breath! :lol:
BerkshireGrl
Preferred member

Postby DogMa » July 7th, 2006, 9:24 pm

I lost all my weight on Atkins many years ago, and maintained it successfully for three years (until I caved to all the people who said low-carb was dangerous and low-fat was the way to go). I lost faster on Atkins, but that's because it was 20 years ago and I was much younger and had a much less damaged metabolism.

I loved Atkins, and if I could still lose on it, I would. I liked eating as much as I wanted, and I found it much easier to eat out and be social.

I think the biggest pitfall with Atkins - assuming you follow it correctly, because he DOES want you to eat veggies every day and not just eat massive amounts of bacon - is all the low-carb products available these days. The classic Atkins, when the good doctor was still alive, was based on eating whole, natural foods - not a bunch of processed sugar alcohols. If she sticks with meat, veggies and healthy fats, then she should be OK. I know I've never been healthier than I was on Atkins - including now, because then I was able to work out a lot more without worrying about not getting enough calories.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby BoPeep1 » July 8th, 2006, 3:23 am

I use atkins as my guideline for "cheating" so I will stay in ketosis.
-Brandi
Height 5'9"
Started MF on 4/3/06

BoPeep1
Preferred Member - 90# Club

Postby Elke » July 8th, 2006, 9:35 am

When I was on Atkins I did loose like 10lbs the first week, then a couple here and there then nothing for weeks and weeks. I was bummed, everyone else was still loosing. I had my surgery and gained it all back. Then I came here looked around did atkins again lost the 10 and had continued to loose for weeks and weeks. I didn't mind atkins I think the only problem I see is you have to stay on it. I know people that stop atkins and gain the weight back. I like that mf teaches you to eat in the real world and still maintain after you reach your goal.
This isn't just a diet, its a learning tool.
Elke
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby DogMa » July 8th, 2006, 11:03 am

True. Although with any plan, including this one, if you go back to eating the way you used to eat, you'll gain it back. The successful Medifast maintainers seem to still eat Medifast several times a day, and still avoid carbs and fat except as occasional treats.

With any plan, you have to change your habits for life.
Last edited by DogMa on July 8th, 2006, 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Aerie » July 8th, 2006, 12:18 pm

Personally I can't live on dead animals alone :D
Aerie
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby TonyR » July 8th, 2006, 12:55 pm

Well, I have done Atkins, and I lost 80 pounds on it!! 8) I also was walking 2.5 miles per day 6 days a week. I loved eating 3 to 4 eggs in the morning, and eating meat and lettuce at night, but the more my wife and I had looked at it, we weren't getting the essential Carbs that you really do need!! I think it works, but may opinion is that in any diet that you do, you have to be mentally ready to take on the challenge! Any diet can work for people, but if you aren't mentally there and don't really have the support like we do here, then you will fail!!! Hope that helps! 8)
Start 5/1/06
Goal 3/1/07
TonyR
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby Jan » July 8th, 2006, 1:31 pm

Hmmmm,
One great thing about the MF program is that it teaches us to eat small amounts every 2 1/2 to 3 hours. It levels out our blood sugars and makes us feel great. This is a program and I for one will be eating this way most likely forever. I feel great and my energy level is wonderful. Why would I change???? My system is not at all happy when I hit it with a big meal -- no mater what it is. A huge steak just doesn't go down so good. Yup I'm on maintenance and I've tried it. Hmmmm a learning experience. :D My body loves the way I'm feeding it now It's hot cocoa for me in the morning and then about 2 1/2 hours later my cappuchino. It's just toooo easy !!! Just the way I like it....more time for me!!!
jan
Jan
Preferred member

Postby Mike » July 8th, 2006, 3:46 pm

I did Atkins, lost 20-30 lbs but didn't have the energy that I have on Medifast and frankly, my cholesterol is way better now.
On Atkins you can eat imbalanced, and with Medifast your nutrition is balanced and set for you to lose the weight.
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Return to What's Shakin'