Was Dr. Atkins Obese at time of death?

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

Was Dr. Atkins Obese at time of death?

Postby explorthis » February 10th, 2004, 2:22 pm

Interesting reading...

I added the following information on the "stone" and its equivalency to the pound for your info: The stone, quarter, hundredweight, and ton were larger units of mass used in Great Britain. Today only the stone continues in customary use for measuring personal body weight. The present stone is 14 pounds, but an earlier unit appears to have been 16 pounds.

Calculations: 1 stone = 14.012 pounds - at 18-1/2 stone, that meant 259 pounds (see article below)

Leaked medical records suggest Dr Atkins was technically obese

Dr Robert Atkins, creator of the famous low-carbohydrate diet, was clinically obese at the time of his death, according to medical reports made public today.

The New York medical examiner's records, which have been published by the Wall Street Journal, state that Dr Atkins weighed 18 and a half stone when he died last April after being injured in a fall on an icy New York City street.

At 6ft tall, Dr Atkins, 72, would have qualified as obese, according to the Centre for Disease Control and Prevention's body mass index calculator.

The news calls into question his cause of death and whether Dr Atkins followed the controversial diet, which has reversed conventional wisdom by prescribing meats and cheeses while eschewing starchy foods that contain a lot of carbohydrates.

The examiner's report said that Dr Atkins had suffered a previous heart attack, congestive heart failure and hypertension, all conditions that are related to obesity.

The examiner's office would confirm only that Dr Atkins died of a head injury from the fall.

Dr Atkins's post-mortem report was forwarded to the Journal by the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine, which advocates vegetarian diets and is strenuously opposed to the Atkins diet.

Veronica Atkins, his widow, said that she was outraged the report had been made public and accused critics of her husband's diet of trying to smear his reputation.

She said: "Unscrupulous individuals will continue to twist and pervert the truth in an attempt to destroy the reputation and great work of my late husband.

"These individuals have gone so far as to obtain my husband's personal and confidential medical information from the New York City Medical Examiner's office for distribution to news organizations in direct and knowing violation of federal law.

"Obviously such people will have no trouble picking and choosing bits and pieces of fact and supposition to mislead the world.

"I have been assured by my husband's physicians that my husband's health problems late in life were completely unrelated to his diet or any diet."

Last month, Mrs. Atkins demanded an apology from Michael Bloomberg, the Mayor of New York, after Mr. Bloomberg called her late husband "fat".

Mr. Bloomberg made the off-the-cuff comments at a fireman's dinner. He later apologized to Mrs. Atkins and offered to buy her a steak and no potatoes meal.

Doctors who are supporters of his diet denied that his death had anything to do with obesity.

He had no record of having a heart attack. My understanding is that he had no reported true evidence of classical angina (a pain in the chest that can indicate a blocked artery)," he added.

In April 2002, a year before he died, Dr Atkins issued a statement saying he was recovering from cardiac arrest related to a heart infection he had suffered from "for a few years." He said it was "in no way related to diet".
explorthis
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby finalstraw » February 10th, 2004, 3:32 pm

Very interesting. I will also look into this. I did Atkins until the smell of meat actually nauseated me. I also research carbs, there are very bad carbs, the Man-Made kind.

In my research (a lot over the past month) of food in general, I have vowed to 'try' to stay away from man made food, which is any food not in it's original form. French fries are out (not in the original form), but baked potatoes are ok. Kraft macaroni & cheese - OUT :cry: . I will someday have a piece of cake but only at a special occasion and only a small piece. Carbs aren't the reason we are overweight.

Let us know Mike if you find out any other information. :D
Stephanie

Rom 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes:

1st goal - 199 (I will change when I have met it)
Started 1/18/04 at 284
Currently 251.9
finalstraw
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby elle4nelly » February 10th, 2004, 3:37 pm

Hi Mike!

soon they will go poking around who ever came up with medifast and decalre him or her obese! whatever! Yeah, I guess we should all consume those 11 servings of Starch the FDA( you know, that bureaucracy which probably doesn't even own a Lab) I could be wrong here. But No wonder America is so fat! Atkins might have been extreme but there is no way no how I'd eat 11 servings of bread/pasta and etc....ever !

I'll keep on' shakin till I get as thin and beautiful as you mike. Then Yeah..I'll do a moderate carb diet forever!

Nelly :toast:
Final Restart on Dec 18th
elle4nelly
Preferred member

Postby finalstraw » February 10th, 2004, 3:43 pm

Nelly,

You are right, and (if) those makers of Medifast did not abide by the rules and understand that we can't eat all we want, then they might find them overweight.

The good thing is, we are learning to adjust the way look at food. I think what we are learning here is the best.

Atkins says 'eat all you want just don't eat carbs'
Low Fat says 'eat all you want just don't eat fat'

We know, eat what you need and no more. :D
Stephanie

Rom 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes:

Started 1/18/04 at 284
Currently 251.9
finalstraw

Postby Starloser63 » February 11th, 2004, 7:14 am

I was out raged when I read that article on AOL. Just knowing who leaked the information should make it suspect, and then depending on the media to report it fairly...well forget about that. His heart condition buried deep in the story was due to a viral infection... this condition also made his gaining weight a factor. Not sure of the detail on that. Your suppose to go on a low-carb diet to get the weight off and then increase your carbs but limit the "refined carbs, you avoid the foods that cause you to be fat". quote taken from Dr. Atkins Diet Revelution Book. I loved this diet, the only problem, It was too easy for me to eat things I wasn't suppose to. That is why I went the Medifast way, no food choices going in my mouth. I don't know if Mikes posting this was to dis Atkins or not, for some bizarre reason I feel the need to defend the poor dead mans diet. I think it was wrong the way the media played it out. I know his plan works for many, I have seen it. But just like Medifast there are going to be people out there that say poo poo! Becasue it's different. Well, So is every human being on this planet what works for some does not work for others. Sorry to have carried on so long. I hope after writing all this it makes sense. When I get going things seem to run together. Well, that is all I have to say about this subject.

Ps sure wish we had a spell checker on this board :)
Through Christ all things all possible.
Susan F
246/216/150
3/23/04 2nd x
First Goal 199
Starloser63

Postby explorthis » February 11th, 2004, 7:27 am

Starloser63 wrote:[color=indigo]I was out raged when I read that article on AOL.

I don't know if Mikes posting this was to dis Atkins or not

Of course it was, I am an equal oppertunity "disser"

Oddly Dr. Atkins gained while in the hospotal...

But the Atkins company said yesterday that 27 of those kilograms were added to Dr Atkins's frame in hospital after his major organs had failed, leaving his body "grossly bloated and distorted" by fluid.

27 kilograms times 2.2 pounds = 59.4 pounds!! Of course this was soley related to the Dr's and Nurses trying to sabotage his good name, and drag it in the chocolate chips, by feeding him ice-cream and sweets in the hospital.

Hey, I did the Atkins thing , probably like many readers here did.

I bet the new Carl's Jr. $6.00 Atkins burger (laughing), and the useless Subway Atkins Wrap takes a beating, and are removed from their menu's pretty quickly.

Just remember you heard it here first!

-Mike
Was 337/223 is goal (about 40 to go)
explorthis

Postby Starloser63 » February 11th, 2004, 8:10 am

Mike,
I hope you are wrong, :x I know quite a few people who have done really well on his plan and have kept the weight off. The way they have come out with the new products makes it easier for those who have succeeded. Surely you wouldn't want those people who lost their weight to gain it back would you? I love Medifast, but it is not for everyone. I can't convince everyone that it will work for them. They will see the results on me, but it probably wont change their minds. :roll:

Well, you have made your prediction and I have no doubt... no doubt that you will let me know if it comes to pass ;). It will be a sad day if it does. :cry: What is Carl Jr? :) I really love your frankness and un-sugared opinions, and you do it without using foul language or being condenscending. Thank you. :hug:
Take care and God Bless you.
Susan F

explorthis wrote:Of course it was, I am an equal oppertunity "disser"

Oddly Dr. Atkins gained while in the hospotal...

But the Atkins company said yesterday that 27 of those kilograms were added to Dr Atkins's frame in hospital after his major organs had failed, leaving his body "grossly bloated and distorted" by fluid.

27 kilograms times 2.2 pounds = 59.4 pounds!! Of course this was soley related to the Dr's and Nurses trying to sabotage his good name, and drag it in the chocolate chips, by feeding him ice-cream and sweets in the hospital.

Hey, I did the Atkins thing , probably like many readers here did.

I bet the new Carl's Jr. $6.00 Atkins burger (laughing), and the useless Subway Atkins Wrap takes a beating, and are removed from their menu's pretty quickly.

Just remember you heard it here first!

-Mike
Susan F
246/216/150
3/23/04 2nd x
First Goal 199
Starloser63

Postby elle4nelly » February 11th, 2004, 8:19 am

Forget about Atkins. Leave the dead man alone! Like I said previously...

There as many people out there who think Medifat is dangerous and will make us baloon back and over where we started. We also see the WW diet people counting their points for ever and gaining all of it back after a burger....
Bottom line is this.
ALL yes i said ALL diet can make you lose weight. Some better or faster than others . Find the diet that works for you. Stick to it! Don't worry about the rest! And maintain your weight loss by eating only what your body needs and not a morcel more. And yeah...exercise!

So atkins...Weight watcher...Jenny somebody, Protein power, Zone...And what about that fat guy on the cover of every book Dr. Phil??? Somebody ought to tell him about medifast ! I wouldn't take a diet advice from that Mustache wearing Big belly Porker! 10 years on that Oprah show doesn't qualify him as a diet Guru! Oh and let's not forget Miss Plastic surgery...Suzanne Sommers!!! Yeah....years of living on cigarettes, lettuce and plastic surgery and know she can advise us all on how to lo 8) se weight?? It can go on and on...we can pick on all of them!!!

But what for?
I say keep on shaking and forget about all of them for now....'cause we won't be on Medifast forever...The real battle will begin when we reach our goal!

Nelly
elle4nelly
Preferred member

Postby finalstraw » February 11th, 2004, 8:27 am

The thing you have to remember about the Atkins diet is that it is a Atkins way of eating for the rest of your life.

No Birthday Cake
No Chips at the Mexican Resturant
No Baked Potato with your steak
No Chocalate on Valentines Day (unless it is made with Sorbitol, then
stomach cramps)
No Celebration type food (Ever Again or you will gain)
This list could go on for ever!!!!!!

For all the success, there are an equal number of failures. I am one, I lost a good bit of weight on Atkins, but got to the point where the smell of cooking meat actually nauseated me. Once you vary and start adding the carbs back (which is 80% of our available food), you will gain the weight back. You need to not look at those who have lost weight in the past few months, look at those that have lost weight and kept it off for more than a year.

Even in Atkins book, he tells stories of people who lost all the weight, but sadly they gave up eating only protein and gained it back.

I have learned,

It is not how many carbs you eat
It is not how much fat you eat
It is CALORIES, CALORIES, CALORIES

If we just watch our total caloric intake, we will NOT gain the weight back.

With low fat, you don't eat high calorie fattening food - you have reduced your calories.

With low carb, you don't eat high calorie sugary foods, and you just don't want to snack on chicken & burgers all day so - you have reduced your calories.

With Medifast, we are learning that reducing our calories is making us loose weight.

With Low Fat & Atkins, they don't mention calories, people don't even realize they have reduced their calories, so they don't learn.

I am not dissin the Atkins anymore than I am the Low Fat, just pointing out that they don't TEACH.

As we transission we do have to remember when it comes to carbs, there are bad carbs, anything man made (not in it's original grown state) is not real food, not nutritious and not healthy. We need to pick our calories carefully and count them as we go.

Hope I did not offend anyone.
Stephanie

Started 1/18/04 at 284
Currently 251.9
finalstraw

Postby Starloser63 » February 11th, 2004, 8:51 am

Stephanie and Nelly,

You are both right. Let the poor dead man lie. And If you don't follow all the steps you will gain the weight back. That is the same with Medifast. If you don't go through all the steps and just eat any ole way you will gain the weight back. Thanks to you both. I will retreat back to rarely posting state and keep Shakin.

Stephanie,
Nothing you say can ever offend anyone. With your signature line anyone would know you have no malice in you. :hug:
Susan F
246/216/150
3/23/04 2nd x
First Goal 199
Starloser63

Postby moutoncove » February 11th, 2004, 9:12 am

Nelly,

]And what about that fat guy on the cover of every book Dr. Phil??? Somebody ought to tell him about medifast ! I wouldn't take a diet advice from that Mustache wearing Big belly Porker! 10 years on that Oprah show doesn't qualify him as a diet Guru!

LOL. You crack me up! This is too cute!

Brenda[/quote]
moutoncove
Regular Member - #40 Club

Postby explorthis » February 11th, 2004, 9:21 am

elle4nelly wrote:Forget about Atkins. Leave the dead man alone! Like I said previously

ahhhhhhh juices are flowing, I am going to have fun with this one...

And what about that fat guy on the cover of every book Dr. Phil???

I wouldn't take a diet advice from that Mustache wearing Big belly Porker!

10 years on that Oprah show doesn't qualify him as a diet Guru!

toooooo funny.. I like Dr. Phil by the way, he says I should be 231 pounds for my height. Everyone else says i should be 198.

I am growing a moustache now, and heading for the Rogaine!

-Mike
Was 337/223 is goal (about 40 to go)
explorthis

Postby elle4nelly » February 11th, 2004, 10:12 am

Mike!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't you dare turn into that Fat Belly Dr. Phil Dude!

You're fun just the way you are! Cool Guy! ....That Phil guy makes me wanna puke...

your shakin' friend!
elle4nelly
Preferred member

belly laugh

Postby TamiL » February 11th, 2004, 10:29 am

You guys are AWESOME!!

I am sitting here laughing out loud as IM reading the last few posts!!
this forum is great!! great for support and a smile!! :D

Its valentines day in a few days..and every where I go there is EVIL :twisted: chocolate and candy...but you know what?
I dont want it, not a drop. Im happy with my Medifast Dutch chocolate shake...iced with cherry flavored diet soda and some almond extract...blended....oooohhh mercy! god bless the dutch chocolate shakes!! lol ;)

Keep up the good posts guys...you gotta keep me entertained as well as inspired!! 8)
Tami
ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE IF YOU BELEIVE!!!

Medifast RESTART 13 March 09
150/my goal weight is 130
TamiL
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby Nancy » February 12th, 2004, 4:39 pm

I am stayin' out of this one, Folks!

Suffice it to say that there are a number of people that I personally know who were on Dr. A's DIEt plan that have elevated cholesterol levels that are outta sight...

'nuff said by me. Promise.

I want to mention something about Valentine's Day...the next time VD rolls around, you'll be able to have a box of chocolates but NOT the whole box at one sitting! :cleader:
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Return to Weight Loss