Medifast and lack of Potassium

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

Medifast and lack of Potassium

Postby female1978 » January 22nd, 2004, 2:29 pm

:?:
Medifast doesn't provide 100% of our recommended daily Potassium intake (according to the nutrients panel on the box). The dutch chocolate provides 65% (my least favorite flavor) and the Swiss chocolate and the French vanilla only provide 55%. Should I be concerned. Should I get a Potassium supplement. If so, can I get that supplement over the counter?

Merci!
Female1978

Los Angeles, CA

01/10/03
291/?/170
female1978

Re: Medifast and lack of Potassium

Postby explorthis » January 22nd, 2004, 3:16 pm

female1978 wrote::?:
Medifast doesn't provide 100% of our recommended daily Potassium intake. I get that supplement over the counter?

Yes, it is avail as OTC. I thought the same thing. Mine was for a different reason. I was getting light headed, thought it was a lack of potassium. I bought o'er the counter Potassium suppliments to no avail, stopped taking them after nothing happened. Dr. could not diagnose my problem. After a bit more of my own research, I discovered a blood pressure anomoly called "orthostatic hypotension" This meant my blood pressure was dropping when I got up too fast. (I quit getting up so fast from a sitting or lying position) Appears this happens to MANY rapid weight loss participants. Potassium additions did not help. After getting more blood work done, Dr. said my Potassium level was perfect (even after I was off the OTC suppliments) So... Medifast does provide everything you need when talking about potassium.

If you don't really need it (I fasted for well over 100 days with no problems w/potassium) why get it?

I would check w/ the Dr. and see what he/she says before getting OTC stuff. Additionally a nurse friend said be cautious (I am not a Dr.) She said Potassium can mess w/ your heart! Yikes, better I stop taking them on her diagnosis, so I did.

Your call.

-Mike
Was 337/223 is goal (about 40 to go)
explorthis
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby female1978 » January 22nd, 2004, 3:19 pm

Thanks for your imput. :exercise: I will definitely disscuss this with my Dr.
Female1978

Los Angeles, CA

01/10/03
291/?/170
female1978

Postby SneezyKitten » January 22nd, 2004, 3:58 pm

Female1978,

I totally agree that you should research and learn all you can about what it is you are putting in your body and spending money on and dedicating your will power too, however.....

I researched Medifast for ages before diving in and if you do the same, I think you will find that this is a balanced program that has been proven successful. Not proven successful by some chuckle-head on a late night infommercial who promises you can still eat bacon-cheeseburgers and lose weight :twisted: , but proven by real people....people like Nancy....people like Mike...people here on this board and on other websites I discovered while researching. I did not find any raving, mad, anti-medifast complaints in my lengthy search. No negative research either. (I guess it could be out there but I like to think of myself as "super researcher, princess of too much information!)

PLEASE someone correct me if I am wrong here, but The "Recommended Daily Value" that appears on the nutritional label of the box (like any other food product sold in the U.S.) is based on the USFDA "Recommended Daily Values". Have you SEEN what the USFDA recommends for carbs and total caloric intake????? If you were to add up the rest of the numbers on the box, you'd see that it is all low. If it all added up, it would be called Medi100%USFDADailyValue and not Medifast (ok...now I am just getting silly...I tried the crackers for the first time today and I think the crunchy whole-grain goodness has gone to my head!)

I admire that you are not entering in to this endeavor with blind faith, but I, for one, gotta believe that the shakes are nutritionally balanced.

I have a lot of problems with leg cramps at night and so I understand your potassium concern. I combat it with bullion and my 64 ounces of water! But as the other, far more wiser and bigger loser than me said above, check with your Doc ;)
SneezyKitten
Regular Member - #10 Club

Return to Weight Loss