Major Goal Commitment

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

Major Goal Commitment

Postby big ron » February 12th, 2007, 12:42 pm

My wife and I are from the northeast and would like to go back for Xmas this year. We have travelled back before but always driving because I dont fit well flying. Recently I didnt show up at a major buisiness conference because I cant fly. Thats the background

The Goal:
I have commited to her that I will work harder than ever :deadhorse: to meet my goals this time and get so I can fly again. Coming back and seeing so many people who started when I did before and after who have had such great success motivates me to get with it again.

My goal is to lose 180lbs by Xmas that will put me at 300 lbs which with my frame I should be in good shape to fly. This is not a vanity thing as I am not a shy person and if you dont like me for me tough.

watching the guys like me, Tony,Mike,Brian,Hype,Roger and many others including the Ladies turned Hotties :eyecrazy: if I stayed true I would be at goal today. I am back in the saddle :easyrider: and I wont say I wont slip but I wont give up.
Thanks to Unc,Nancy and Terry for this Forum. :bighug: This truely is the best on the Net and you all are great.
Last edited by big ron on February 12th, 2007, 12:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Restart 9-10-2007
big ron
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby bikipatra » February 12th, 2007, 12:47 pm

Welcome and good luck!
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby MerryMary » February 12th, 2007, 2:38 pm

Determination is a key factor, Ron. There are wonderful rewards that await you if you just follow the program! The nice thing is that you are not alone ... we are all on a similar journey and will support you on yours!

Welcome and :goodluck:

Mary
MARY
Started MF 11/6/06; reached goal 9/27/07.
MerryMary
Preferred Member - #110 Club

Postby nickieluv » February 12th, 2007, 3:15 pm

You can do it, Ron! That's a great goal and I will be cheering you on.
nickieluv
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby Elizabeth » February 12th, 2007, 3:19 pm

You can do it Ron! We'll all get there if we don't give up.
Elizabeth
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby bdg » February 12th, 2007, 6:31 pm

Ron,

I couldn't fly either for years and years. Last July I took the plunge and flew and FIT. Not great yet, but I did fit. Three weeks ago I flew and had so much room in the seat and seat belt that I didn't know what to do. You can and will do it Ron, I know it.
Start date: April 8, 2006
bdg
Preferred Member - #190 Club

Postby Joelie » February 12th, 2007, 7:09 pm

ALRIIIIGHT! Way to commit!

No doubt you'll do it! :thumbig:
Joelie

Postby big ron » February 12th, 2007, 7:28 pm

Brian,
how much did you weigh and what was your pant size in July? (I ask to give me an idea for myself. dont mean to get personal)I have no Idea when I will be able to fit okay without being embarased. This has caused us to not travel like we would want and is a big deal to me now :pigsfly:
Restart 9-10-2007
big ron

Postby bdg » February 12th, 2007, 8:19 pm

I started out in April at over 400lbs. I was wearing a 58-60. In the beginning of July I was around a 50 or 52 and probably about 350 or 340 or there abouts. (didn't get a scale til shortly after that if I remember correctly) I am now 219 lbs and 36 waist. (Sorry I have to keep saying it to remind myself) Believe it or not you could begin travelling (depending on the airline) at about that point. At 50-52 waist, it was still a bit tight, but I didn't need a belt extension on 3 of the 4 legs of the flight. It was certainly a nice surprise in January to be in the seat with room on the sides.
bdg

Postby big ron » February 12th, 2007, 8:51 pm

Thanks Brian I am in a 58 60 now large frame and 6'2"and not sure what my weight would be to be 50" but probably 350 375. I carry my weight all over. I think I will make myself a mockup seat 17" like the airlines or get a chair with sides :table: and keep checking. I guess I am obsessing a little but it would be nice to spend 1 day traveling not 3 days one way to visit family. You have really inspired me that its possible. Its bad enough when you need to lose 20,40,60 lbs but when you get to 200lbs+ its overwhelming. (not to say 20 lbs is not it is hard too :hammerhead: ) to see those who have lost over 100,150+ gives me the confidence. :yeah: Thanks

P.S. you will be the first 2 gold star loser I believe :thumbsup:
Restart 9-10-2007
big ron

Postby bdg » February 12th, 2007, 9:06 pm

The chair thing is a good idea, but I wouldn't obsess too much over it. Stick with the plan and see how fast you are losing, but I'd say that you might check it around June or so. You should be in good shape. The good thing about the arms would be it would give you an initial goal and give you additional accountability.

While you are at it, you can put another seat 4 inches in front of you and get the full airline experience. ;)
bdg

Postby sydney_gavin » February 12th, 2007, 10:18 pm

Hi Ron,

Something you mentioned there rang a bell for me - the feeling overwhelmed when u have a lot to lose.

I have started at about 280 lbs and have around 120 to lose - working in kgs since I'm not from the US if A the numbers aren't quite as frightening - if I want to get to my youthful weight I need to lose 54kgs, or if I want to get to where I felt ok at, then it is 44 kgs - doesn't sound as much.

However, whatever the number I relate to the overwhelming feeling of Oh God! How am I going to do this.

Well - how does an ant eat an elephant - one bit at a time, one bite at a time. I divided my loss up into 6 clear goals, set up a spreadsheet with this goals, allocated some nice little rewards for reaching the goal and when I reach one (I have just passed the first) I use the HIDE function on the spreadsheet to get rid of the goal I have passed and to concentrate on the goal I have in front.

That way I have chunks of around 10kgs (22lbs) in each goal.

Now the mind being a wonderful thing keeps reminding me 'yes, but, you are only tricking yourself, you still have this huge amount to lose' - and my reply to that (and yes, I know the first sign of madness is talking to yourself) is that "ok, if I lose this 10kgs I am going to be feeling a lot better than if I don't, so maybe thats all I'll be able to manage but it wil be better that sitting here waiting for the man with the shiny scythe to arrive at the door". (of course the second sign of madness is answering yourself, so I am truly lost)

Then, knowing my dear old mind as I do - having lived in it for nearly 50 years ( :cry: ) I set reminders all about focus on my Outlook Calendar for around the time I am planning to reach the goal - saying things like - Focus you useless so and so (I even swear at myself) - time to re-energise and commit to another bite at that elephant.

It is surprising how soon that elephant starts to disappear.

I you would like a copy of my spreadsheet send me a PM and I would be happy to oblige.

Kind regards

Gavin

Act as if it all depended on you; pray as if it all depended on God.
sydney_gavin
Trusted Member - #50 Club

Postby big ron » February 13th, 2007, 12:17 am

Gavin you are so right. The same way applies to weight gain. When I graduated HS many moons ago I was 200# how did I add 300# to that? One bite at a time. I was doing really well when I first joined back in 2005 then got derailed stopped focus fell back and literally before I knew it was back to my highest weight ever. Kind of the same thing that you learn in school about a frog wont jump out of the water if you slowly turn up the heat. Unfortunately we are our own worst enemy. I am not patient and want it now however if I stayed compliant I would have been at goal some time ago. I just need to focus one day at a time and like you said minigoals are great. This forum does help allot to have focus.
Restart 9-10-2007
big ron

Postby Serendipity » February 13th, 2007, 3:23 am

Ron, Many of us here have had those same overwhelming feelings. I felt helpless for years before I decided to finally do something. Those feelings left me gradually the first month I was on Medifast. I had confidence in the program because I had done it before, just like you. You know that the program works because you've been there before. As long as I was on the mark with my program, my confidence grew each day until I just knew that I would succeed. That feeling will come for you sooner than you think and things will be much less overwhelming for you. As you see successes behind you, the road in front won't seem so impossible.

We've been where you are, Ron, and we're here to tell you that you can get out of it if you are willing.

And BTW, dole out those rewards! I had a reward every 5 pounds....not always huge rewards, but they put my successes into small packages that were very manageable.
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Postby big ron » February 13th, 2007, 8:38 am

Jo you have done great. One thing that I have realized is you cant stop focusing. It truely needs to be a lifestyle. We all know we can lose the weight but none of us have been able to keep it off. For me I have never made goal and transitioned. Transition and maintanance is the most important part and what I think is an unknown for many of us. We have cycled through Diet time then "old habits" time. Thats going to be a new experience. Glad you have done so well. Thanks for everything
Restart 9-10-2007
big ron

Next

Return to Weight Loss