loose weight and live longer

Give us the skinny in the losers lounge.
(Anything off topic)

loose weight and live longer

Postby Charity » December 1st, 2007, 11:45 pm

I just read this article in the hospital newsletter and I would like to share some key points

Being overweight after menopause raises your breast cancer risk and also increases the chances that breast cancer will be fatal.

Being too heavy also raises the risk of cancers of the kidney, uterus, gallbladder, and colon.
overweight and obesity may account for 20% of all cancer deaths in american women and 14% in men

Being overweight can also increse chances of heart disease, stroke, high bloodpressure, diabetes, osteoarthritis, and liver disease.

More than 80% of people with type 2 diabetes are overweight.

Loosing as little as 5 to 10 percent of your body weight can reduce your risk of many of the complications.

This wasn't in the article but it was mentioned in the seminar that reducing your body weight by 10% decrease your risk by 50%. :shock: :D
Lost 40# last year on MF
Restart date: 3/6/8 5'2"
Charity
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby lifelovinaries » December 1st, 2007, 11:50 pm

Those stats are scary!!! Add in other vices such as smoking and alcohol and...

Really makes you think about our mortality. Yet another dose of reality here on the forum!

restart: 01/04/10
lifelovinaries
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Mike » December 2nd, 2007, 12:58 am

There is a little mini chart in the BMI chart that shows how losing specific amounts of weight reduces your chances of disease by the various amounts. Its very eye opening.

It amazes me that I allowed myself to go on in life knowing all of these things... then again, there are all of those Dr's and nurses who take there breaks to go smoke a cigarette. :dunno:
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby bikipatra » December 2nd, 2007, 1:49 am

Mike wrote:It amazes me that I allowed myself to go on in life knowing all of these things... then again, there are all of those Dr's and nurses who take there breaks to go smoke a cigarette. :dunno:

I'm not a nurse, I just play one on video, but I am puffing on one right now. I know I need to quit. There used to be a lady in AA who said it is no more acceptable to die of lung cancer than alcoholism. She stayed sober but still couldn't leave the cigarettes alone. She quit more times than I can remember.
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby Out*With*The*Old » December 2nd, 2007, 8:18 am

VERY interesting stuff, thanks for sharing! KNOWLEDGE is POWER!

I'll be glad when I get the weight off. I, thankfully, don't have any other bad habits. I started smoking - if you can believe it - when I had the brain tumor and told I would die. I thought 'why not'? I smoked off and on until the moment I found out I was pregnant with my daughter (she was a surprise). Thankfully it wasn't hard at all to walk away from them.

It's sooo funny now because I can't STAND smoke - the smell of it makes my physically ill and brings on a migraine. Ironic how things change so much in our lives.

Thanks again for sharing!!
Out*With*The*Old
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Return to What's Shakin'