Lets have another donut

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

Lets have another donut

Postby big ron » September 27th, 2007, 6:46 pm

Nothing tastes as good as living longer feels

Here is a wake up call statistics that helps motivate me:

Life Expectancy and Obesity
Life expectancy of a moderately obese person could be shortened by 2 to 5 years.

White men between 20 and 30 years old with a body mass index > 45 could shorten their life expectancy by 13 years.

White women in the same category could lose up to 8 years of life.

Young African American men with a body mass index > 45 could lose up to 20 years of life; African American women, up to 5.

Obesity Mortality Risk Study
A study of more than 1 million adults in the United States (457,785 men and 588,369 women), investigated the relation between body mass index and the risk of death from all causes, cancer, and cardiovascular disease. In people who had never smoked, the lowest point of the mortality curve occurred at a body mass index of 23.5 to 24.9 in men and 22.0 to 23.4 in women. Above those points, the relative risk of death increased linearly with increased body mass indices in both men and women.
Restart 9-10-2007
big ron
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby bikipatra » September 28th, 2007, 1:17 am

Thanks for posting that, Ron. The reason I started Weight Watchers, which I was on for a bit and then continued with Medifast was because I was only 5 years younger than when my father had his first heart attack at age 40. His health continued to decline and he spent the last 8 years of his life in a persistant vegetative state. He was 52 when he died. He wasn't even overweight, just made horrible food choices and was a diabetic and alcoholic.
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby big ron » September 28th, 2007, 8:40 am

Biki,
sorry to hear about your dad. I was surfing and when I saw these statistics it was sobering. I am very much in the "danger zone " as I have a BMI of over 60. I will never have a body like a model, its not about that. I like many of us want to live healthy,long,comfortable lives. My close friends are much older than me 60's and 70's, and when we go somewhere I have to rest and they wait for me, what's wrong in that picture.

Many people on this forum have allot less to lose and have different reasons for doing it. My point is if anyone needs motivation maybe the thought of living longer seeing your kids,grandkids grow. Be able to get around good when you are older things like that.

I was reading an article the other day and it stated that 65% of Americans are overweight/Obese. That is a scary statistic.

I just am so happy that we have Medifast as this program works and I feel a lifesaver.
Restart 9-10-2007
big ron
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby Elizabeth » September 28th, 2007, 8:45 am

Definately motivating. Thanks for posting it Ron.
Elizabeth
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby DntCryLilEmoGrl » October 1st, 2007, 4:38 am

definitely motivating. Im watching my mom get worse. she is 59 and in the past year due to the stress of taking care of my sisters kids she has really put a lot back on and is having a lot more trouble with her knees than she used to.

my aunt is diabetic with heart disease and is now in stage four of kidney failure. stage 5 means dialysis....

I cannot look at them and disregard my weight issue. regardless of looking better, i dont want to walk the same road. I hate seeing either of them in the state they are in and i cannot stand to not do anything about my weight.

i think most of the people that decide to be proactive about their weight issues have people in their lives that have dealt with poor health habits...

anyways thank you for posting that again :)
"Soon to be mrs sexy pants"
lilemo's getting married on April 6th 2008!!!!!

started changing my life 5/15/06
restarted 10/01/07
DntCryLilEmoGrl
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Return to The Weight Room