Lean and Green Ideas!

Add your favorite recipes.

Lean and Green Ideas!

Postby Ginabobina1969 » February 17th, 2006, 3:31 pm

This might be posted somewhere in here already and if so maybe someone can direct me in the right direction. :lol:

But, I need some ideas of lean and green. I know amounts but it would be nice to hear some of you "elders" of MF...your favorite 'Lean and Green' Meals. Really, anyone with ideas to share.

Thanks In Advance!
Hugs,
Gina

Previously...02/16/06 BMI-50 276/188
Restart....03/31/2008 -failed
Restart 03/26/09 280/267 Failed
Restart-Awaiting order. I cannot even bear to post my current weight...yet.
Ginabobina1969
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby MusicalMomma » February 17th, 2006, 6:01 pm

Hi Gina...I just wanted to suggest getting a "George Forman" type grill (if you don't already have one that is). I have a Hamilton Beach one with random temp setting. They are WONDERFUL...you can cook thawed or frozen meats on them and they come out delicious. I usually put some chicken or sirloin steak on it with whatever seasoning I'm feeling like that day (rotisseri and mesquite are my favorites) throw on the meat and in a few minutes (8 for thawed 12-15 if frozen) is a PERFRECT grilled dish that tastes WONDERFUL, with out a lot of clean up. Then I usually have a salad or green beans, something like that.

I know you will get A LOT of wonderful suggestions. I'm not that imaginative, but we have a couple of real gourmets on the board that I'm sure will chime in :) Bon Appetite ;)
MusicalMomma
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Lean and Green Meals

Postby Jan » February 17th, 2006, 9:49 pm

I'm afraid I'm not quite the gormet :cry: In fact sometimes I think I have taste buds which don't function toooo well. Most things taste just fine to me . :D ( Hmmmmmm maybe that's how I got here in the first place :mrgreen: ) I love to use the Walden farms marinades and sauces on my meat part of the lean and green. Walden farms also makes some great salad dressings. I also love to make nice big salads with the lean part included. Chicken salad etc. I even make taco salad sometimes. I use very very lean hamburger fry it with a little powdered taco seasoning and some onion. Make sure and choose a taco seasoning that is not full of sugar. I then measure out my lettuce, add the taco meat, a chopped tomato, some green onion and Medifast crackers for the "chips" I am also a seafood lover and cook that quite often.
Search thru lean cuisine and you'll find lots of other wonderful ideas!!
jan
Jan
Preferred member

Postby Serendipity » February 18th, 2006, 4:51 am

Cooking is not my favorite thing, so the fast choices are my favorites.

I love shrimp. It's so easy. I buy the precooked frozen. Just thaw and eat or throw it in a skillet with some shrimp boil seasoning and heat it up.

I make a tuna salad when I don't want to cook at all. Instead of Mayo, I use 2T of Medifast ranch dressing. Add some chopped up onion, celery, a little dill pickle, or tomatoes and it tastes just like the real thing to me.

I have grilled chicken about 3 times a week. Love it. We use our outdoor grill all year long - even when it's in the teens like today. It sits just outside the kitchen door. When I don't want to brave the cold, I use my George foreman.

Another real treat is King crab legs. I don't have this very often because of the price, but I love it. Ya gotta cook alot of legs to get 7 oz. of meat, though.

My greens are usually green beans, broc., or zucchini steamed with a little s & p or some dill seasoning. I've learned to really love the taste of vegetables and salad on this program. I used to think a salad wasn't a salad without cheese, bacon, croutons, huges amounts of egg and thick creamy dressing. Now I can actually taste the lettuce and it's not bad!
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Postby falisamarie » February 18th, 2006, 6:58 am

OK Jo--Now you have me wanting crab legs!! Might have to make a quick dash to the store before my Lean and Green tomorrow.(hubby is taking me out tonight)

Anyway....Back to the topic. Gina I like Jo use my outdoor grill year round but I am in Florida so very rarely do I have to brave the bitter cold. My favorite lean and green right now is blackened fish. I buy about a half pound of fresh fish(cooked comes to 7oz) sprinkle the blackening season on it and pan fry it for 5min on each side. Usually for the green I have green beans or a spinach salad with Walden Farms dressing.

Lisa :rose:
Start date 1/15/06
falisamarie
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby Soon2bFitSonja » February 18th, 2006, 8:22 am

I am lazy when it comes to cooking so I choose low maintenance. For instance, I will buy shrimp where they steam it for you, take it home and have steamed shrimp over raw spinach with dressing (like a salad) yummy. I will also grill white fish adn season with the spicey Mrs. dash and have that with steamed broccli. I also love grilled chicken over raw spinach with dressing. Like a spinanch salad.

Start Date: April 4, 2006
173.6/???/134
Soon2bFitSonja
Trusted Member

Postby falisamarie » February 18th, 2006, 8:38 am

Ok I have to stay off of this post. It is making me really want to eat :roflmao:

Lisa :heart:
Start date 1/15/06
falisamarie

Postby SueInSLO » February 18th, 2006, 10:51 am

Another warm weather poster here from California.
We BBQ/grill most nights. I should say HE does the grilling. The George Foreman is GREAT if you can't grill outside.

We buy boneless/skinless chicken breasts and divide them up in ziplock bags with seasonings or marinades on Sunday. That way we can pull out a bag in the morning and it's thawed by dinnertime for our L&G. We do the same thing with porkchops.

We were serious lowcarbers in our past life and we loved the "Mocked Mashies" made with cauliflower, creme cheese and butter. I decided to try it without the creme cheese and butter and just used the MollyMcButter with salt and pepper. It's pretty darn good!!

We also love the frozen green beans from Trader Joe's stirfryed in Pam with a little fresh garlic and other seasonings.

Great idea to share some new recipes Gina!!

Happy MF-ing!

:D
Sue
Start: 1/07/06
SueInSLO
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Wow

Postby Ginabobina1969 » February 19th, 2006, 11:13 am

Some great ideas here... Thanks to all of you! I do have a Foreman grill (the two-sided one with separate temp setting)and a steamer I love both...makes cooking dinner so easy.

Everything sounds so good you have given me a lot of new ideas so I know what to shop for when I go again.

So far my lean and green has been the talapia and the sauteed zuch and summer squash(2 nights in a row..lol) :oops: . Also, last night Salad with my veggies and 7 oz precooked shrimp...tiny dab of coctail sauce used as salad dressing..Quite tasty but I do prefer the hot meals.

I have been scouring this forum and saw Nancy's version of egg flower soup..Mmmmm. Gonna have to try that. And, some somewhere about saute'ed scallops ..may have that tonight with green beans or maybe my zuchinni again..I seem to be craving that a lot. lol

Keep'em coming.

Thanks!
Hugs,
Gina

Previously...02/16/06 BMI-50 276/188
Restart....03/31/2008 -failed
Restart 03/26/09 280/267 Failed
Restart-Awaiting order. I cannot even bear to post my current weight...yet.
Ginabobina1969
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby DogMa » February 19th, 2006, 11:13 am

I use the Foreman-type grill a lot, too (I can grill outside most of the year, but the electric ones are easier to clean and nice when you're single). Anyway, I usually marinate some chicken in low-fat salad dressing or sugar-free spice rub, then grill. Or I roast a tri-tip roast in the oven and have it all week.

For veggies, I like roasted broccoli, zucchini or green beans (my current obsession) or grilled zucchini or eggplant (sometimes with a little red pepper, onion or portobello mushroom). Oh, or spinach sauteed in a little Pam with some garlic.

Or to get both done at once, I like chicken and veggie skewers.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Jan » February 19th, 2006, 1:21 pm

Hi Robin,
Great to see you back posting again. We've missed you
jan
Jan
Preferred member

Ooops

Postby ILikeToBeSirena » March 6th, 2006, 12:22 am

Ok, I'm registered now hehe :lol:

I tried to make my turkey spicy with a mexican hot sauce called "Valentina", I put the meat in a zip bag with the sauce (a lot), garlic and salt, left it marinate for one day and then cooked it... it was very good, my husband tried it and he like it too... I think it could tase better with chicken and a bit of lemon or lime too, so I am going to try it later :rollrolleyes:
Start Day: March/6/06
Goal Day: June/18/06
5'5/32y/Married
8 lb lost. 32 lb to go. I will make it!

ILikeToBeSirena

Postby scrabbler7 » March 6th, 2006, 7:33 pm

Well - along with everyone else - I have an indoor grill which I use often.

I also love Rotisserie chicken. I'll put a whole chicken in my rotisserie and have that as my lean for 3 or 4 days following. Just cook up some frozen brocolli or green beans and I'm good to go. I'll also make chicken salad out of it and have it over salad greens with tomatoes. If you don't have one of these wonderful machines, I highly recommend it. It cooks incredible chicken and turkey -- my family loves it and it's great for them too!

What I've really really been missing lately is pasta. So the other day I tried to create my own MF compliant pasta with meat sauce. I cooked lean turkey breast seasoned it with onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Then put in those diced tomatoes from a can (Hunt's has this new organic variety that are truely amazing!). This made a wounderful meat sauce -- which I served over green beans. Honestly, it sounds kinda ewwww, but the tastes went well together and the green beans acted like my pasta. Make sure to keep your tomatoe and green bean combination under the allowable "green" portions.

Happy cooking!
scrabbler7
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby DogMa » March 6th, 2006, 9:50 pm

That's not eyew at all. My mom used to cook green beans in a mix of canned tomatoes, garlic and oregano, and I make that a lot now, too. Sometimes I add a little crushed red pepper.

One thing on the rotisserie chicken. If you cook it with the skin on and then remove the skin, you're getting a lot more fat than you would from chicken cooked with the skin off. It's not recommended for that reason.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Return to Lean Cuisine