Lapse, re-lapse, col-lapse

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

Lapse, re-lapse, col-lapse

Postby Jeanette » April 2nd, 2004, 8:09 am

This is, by no means, an original concept. I believe this is one of the things taught in a clinical program (the one that begins with O).

Lapse: an episode of going off program for one time (meal). Most of the time this will not effect your loss, but it could lead you to a relapse.

Relapse: more than one episode but less than a week of going off program. You may see a temporary effect on your loss, but can do damage control when you break out of the relapse.

Collapse: when you eat off program longer than a week. Most of the time this leads to deep feelings of guilt and despair, which leads to more binges, which leads to....you get the idea.

A confession: I recently went through a relapse. I couldn't concentrate on my program, and I thought if I had to eat one more pickle or see one more sugarfree Jello I was going to SCREAM! Why, after 4 1/2 months and 68 lbs did I do this?? I have no clue.

Mike told me something that was a lightbulb moment for me. He said (and this is taken directly from an e-mail he sent me):

There is no magic. It is a looooooooooooong drawn out process to lose the weight.

Lets look at it from a numbers side of the fence. (Mike the math guy) I know your somewhere around 38? Lets assume you live to 90 (just for conversation) 90 years is 1080 months. You are losing (can't remember) 150 pounds (again for conversation) at 4.5 pounds a week, this is 18# a month. (could be faster if you chose) This should take you 8.3 months. 8.3 is 7/10 of 1% of your total life.

Assume you had $1080 dollars (your life in months) and you had to give up 83 cents of this 1080 dollars. This is the % of time it takes you over your entire life. It is a SHORT stint in the general scheme of your overall life. Why allow yourself the chance to owe more money to the "diet bank" when you would/could pay it off sooner (lose it now, instead of losing it later)?

Ya gotta remain faithful, its NOT that long a period, is it? Look what you have to look forward to when the weight is gone, my testimony is not proof in the pudding?
Yes Mike...you are proof....

I have recommitted myself to my program. More than anything else, I want that orgasmic feeling of being in size 12 jeans. Vain I know...I must have hung around Mike too long!

I'm not perfect...but I am determined.
Jeanette :star:
(340) 325/300/180
"Discipline is simply choosing between what you want now and what you want the most."--Unknown
PROGRESS, not PERFECTION
Jeanette
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby elle4nelly » April 2nd, 2004, 9:09 am

That was great Jeanette!

Don't worry about your relapse! I admire your determination. I am going thru a Stand Off with Medifast. I am sooo sick of shaking and Jello-ing that I find myself going to bed with 2 shakes and cold turkey!! A whole lot of cold turkey!! It's temporary and I have no desire to eat outside of medifast so I don't cheat , I just don't feel like medifasting. Well I'm determined and I 'm glad to have read your post, it's helped me evaluate where I am and where I'm going with this. And I'm going all the way to my goal with it! Thanks!

Nelly
Final Restart on Dec 18th
elle4nelly
Preferred member

Postby shineface » April 2nd, 2004, 12:01 pm

Jeanette--

Thank you for sharing this post. Thank you for your honesty and courage. Thank you for sticking with it - for you. YOU so deserve it!!!!

I know we all have similar stories of our weight loss efforts but I'm not sure that I've read here that anyone has spent a lot of time in patient in hospitals or treatment centers - I have - one stint was 6 weeks and another was 4 weeks. Why am I bringing this up? Because losing this weight scares the s--t outta me. One thing I do know from all of my "diets" and "programs" is that my demise was always a subtle beginning and always involved frustration, emotions and dishonesty. Dishonesty to myself, my family and my friends... then the defensiveness - the six foot thick walls going up and refusing to talk or listen - because it was just too painful and my disappointment in myself was just too great.

Your honesty with yourself, your program and the people in your life will save your life. I know that today -- I know that this is true for me today. I am terrified to take one bite because I know it can and in the past for me it has, lead to thousands of bites ---- and then I am in the sick cycle again...still. I want to really make the change this time...I will really make the change this time.

Your sharing your experience is a brave and courageous thing to do - I pray that I have that kind of strength when I need it - that I can embrace my recovery and go on as you are.

Mike is a classic. He puts that logical, caring and unemotional explanation to things that I sometimes think men do so much better than I do --- my husband used to map things out with the same logic and they always made sense to me when the emotion was set aside. How much clearer does it have to get? I'm there.

Thank you Jeanette ---

WE WILL do this together!!! :stroll:
Pam -"I AM the ME in MEdifast"
Start = 1/24/04 70 down 60 up
5/1/05=279.6
You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf. - Unknown
shineface
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Starloser63 » April 2nd, 2004, 12:20 pm

Amen Pam, Great post Jeanette and thank you.

Hugs,
Susan
Through Christ all things all possible.
Susan F
246/216/150
3/23/04 2nd x
First Goal 199
Starloser63
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby Alison » April 2nd, 2004, 1:59 pm

Thanks for posting. We all value your being a part of this group so much. I'm sorry for your lapse -your honesty really is such an inspiration. My thoughts are with you. Your posts are one of the major reasons I joined this group!! I always feel better after reading all your supportive comments.
Smile,
Alison
Alison
Regular Member - #30 Club

Postby Jeanette » April 2nd, 2004, 2:28 pm

Thanks Alison and everyone. It is nice to know my posts are helpful!
(340) 325/300/180
"Discipline is simply choosing between what you want now and what you want the most."--Unknown
PROGRESS, not PERFECTION
Jeanette

Postby Landylue » April 3rd, 2004, 7:07 am

Helpful!?! Helpful is such an inadequate word for it, Jeanette. Your posts are a MAJOR reason I made it through that first three weeks. The word should be more like 'crucial', not merely 'helpful'.

I applaud the courage both you and Pam showed in sharing within this thread.

I'm so glad you are both a part of this forum.

Landylue
Failure is NOT an option!
Landylue
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby HD » April 4th, 2004, 7:19 am

Gawd Jeanette....are you reading my mind? The last few weeks have been rough for some reason and I have to tell you that your post as well as Pam's couldn't have come at a better time. It does seem that after being on medifast for a while (2 months for me) I seem to think more about other foods than I use to. I even felt guilty for thinking of trying a nibble here and a nibble there. I will remember to run to your post when I'm thinking of reaching for a goody that I'm not suppose to have. I too Thank you for sharing with us and adding the extra boost of strength that we all need at times.
Jackie (HD)

01/24/2004
193/151/124
HD
Trusted Member - #40 Club

Postby pinkgeek » April 5th, 2004, 7:46 am

Jeanette:

Thank you for your honest and open post. We all need to be reminded of those three big words you mentioned. I fear the first word daily because I'm afraid that they will be a chain reaction to the second and third for me, you know the kind, do not pass go, do not collect $200! Your posts add any extraordinary amount of wisdom and inspiration to the group. You are like the balance between the group and Mike :) You really put the perspective on things. I'm sorry that you went through what you did. This plan is just not natural. Humans have taste buds and were meant to enjoy a variety of textures, tastes, and smells. We are restricting ourselves so much, I believe we are fighting our very human natures by having ONLY these supplements (same is true for those of you doing modified b/c you probably eat the same ole chicken and veggies which doesn't give you a lot of variety). You/we have something to brag about. We're not only fighting our food demons, our emotions, our DRUG ADDICTION, but we are also fighting our innate human qualities of being able to experience variety and pleasure. It's an uphill battle girlie! You are winning! I'm glad you didn't let those minor setbacks totally derail you. I know you wouldn't let it and we wouldn't let it either. You could bet your britches that Mike would have a one-way ticket up there to kick your booty back into gear. But thank you, seriously, for posting and sticking with it. You are inspiring all of us and your posts are NECESSARY!
~Angela

Start date: 3/21/04
195.5/159.5/115
After a week off: Restart 6/7/04
164/154.4/115
pinkgeek
Trusted Member - #40 Club

Postby Jeanette » April 5th, 2004, 9:20 am

You know what?? I am not sorry it happened. I learned alot from it. And I have so much more to learn too. I do not look upon it as a failure, but an opportunity to learn about myself.

Thanks!
(340) 325/300/180
PROGRESS, not PERFECTION
Jeanette

Return to Weight Loss