knee replacement

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

knee replacement

Postby sheri1103 » December 10th, 2006, 9:26 am

Hi everyone - 'tis me again. I don't think I have mentioned what is, for now, the biggest reason behind the needed weight loss....knee replacement. I have genetic arthritis in my right knee and the knee is pretty well kaput. I fell last month and my doctor and I were less then thrilled at the amount of deterioration in the last year. I told him on the spot, that surgery was not an option, First I am too young (52) and second I am self employed and the primary wage earner in our household. This kind of surgery carries a long recuperation time. I know I will need it someday, but am trying to hold out as long as I can. So my doctor (who supports me fully!!) agreed to let me lose the weight and re-evaluate how I do. I need to be fairly close (if not at) my goal by April. And that is why I am "nervous" over the plateau I am on. It is fantastic that I lost so much so fast, the first week. And I know my body has the final say in how fast I lose it. But if anyone has any tips that I could try that might jumpstart things I am open to all ideas.

I wish I could add some exercise to the mix - as I know it would help. However I am a domestic violence survivor and my ex-husband left me with a couple of permanent reminders of his presence in my life - a curved lower spine and bad right shoulder. :twisted: These things can't be fixed and I long ago decided not to let it get me down. The good news is that I am fairly newly married to a wonderful man who would never raise a hand to me, and he loves me just as I am. And I really do have a pretty good attitude.

Sorry for the long note, guess I had a lot to say. So any advice on how to jumpstart me? :?: :idea:

Thanks everyone for "listening"

Sheri
sheri1103
Trusted Member - #40 Club

Postby bikipatra » December 10th, 2006, 9:45 am

Thanks so much for being brave enough to be so candid. At this point I would just say 100% compliance. No sneaking food. This program works. More water. And then some more water. Measure your lean & green carefully. When it's time, add exercise to your ability. Just get moving, some way some how.
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby sheri1103 » December 10th, 2006, 9:52 am

Thanks Biki. oaky doaky, more water it is. Thanks for the "ear" and the input!! :D
sheri1103

Postby DogMa » December 10th, 2006, 1:27 pm

Is there really no exercise you can do? What about swimming? It's wonderful exercise and people with all sorts of disabilities can do it.

BTW, stress can interfere with weight loss. So I'd try not to stress TOO much about sticking to a weight-loss schedule. (Besides, I just read your other post. You lost 15 pounds the first week?? It's perfectly natural to lose less than that the next week, then. You can't expect to drop 15 pounds every week, and 16.5 pounds in two weeks is STILL phenomenal.)
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby sheri1103 » December 10th, 2006, 1:52 pm

Thanks Jo. Unfortunately, for now, no on the exercise. Swimming is very painful due to the back + knee. I can sit and do leglifts though. And I know I won't lose 15 pounds every week - that would be way too easy.
I'll just have to keep plugging along.
sheri1103

Postby Guest » December 10th, 2006, 1:59 pm

Hi Sherri, make sure that you are getting in all your water daily, and you could also try to 'shake it up' a little, by changing your L&G to a different time, changing your supplements around.

I was on a plateau and Nancy suggested having two hard boiled eggs on a salad, as a change of pace. It worked for me and along with paying attention to taking in the proper amount of water daily, a couple of days later, my scale started moving. It make not work for everybody, but it sure worked for me.
Good luck with your knee problem and also with the plateau you are on.
Take care,
Joan

start: 199 current: 146 goal: 125

Postby sheri1103 » December 10th, 2006, 2:06 pm

Thank you Joan. Hard boiled eggs are on the stove. I think I will drop Nancy a line as well. You're a gem :D
sheri1103

Postby JuliaMejia » December 11th, 2006, 1:53 am

Yum - Eggs Sound good!

Sheri, Ur way to wonderful and Im so glad you have a good husband now - Im also a domestic violence survivor :)

Ive got some problems from an accident and have constant pain and if I do too much I get more numbnness, spasms, and more pain. This is one reason I know that medifast is the best answer for me right now. Ive been recommended to do the water aerobic thing and am considering it now. You could possibly have a physical therapist recommend something that you could do. Can you walk for 20 minutes on a tredmill?

Well Hunny I hope you find something, Also Nancy can probably help and have some really good ideas for you! hang in there and keep us posted :)
May 1st 2006...Highest Weight 265...

Started Medifast December 8th, 06 Weight = 236.8 :(

JuliaMejia
Trusted Member - #10 Club

Postby bikipatra » December 11th, 2006, 2:30 am

My father was in a persistant vegetative state for over 8 years. He could not move. However he was able to receive physical therapy. Some of it my mother was able to do with him at home out of information she learned in a book. I don't know what type of insurance you have, but I imagine you might find an outlet for physical therapy to regain as much strength and mobility as possible. Good luck.
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra

Return to Come on in.