Ketosis Question

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

Ketosis Question

Postby Lynda » March 18th, 2004, 12:53 pm

Hello Everyone!

I'm new to the Medifast Plan (this is Day 11). I lost 12 pounds in my first week!!! I have to say, I survived the first three days pretty well. What I'm wondering is...when does the fatigue and hunger go away? From reading the books, it seems like I shouldn't be hungry or tired anymore, but I am. It's bearable, don't get me wrong. I drink some more water, or if I'm really hungry, have a little (~1/2 cup) of sugar-free jello and try to ignore it. But I was expecting to have to remind myself to eat by now. Am I doing something wrong? Does this mean I'm NOT in ketosis yet?

I'm doing the complete program and my daily routine is like this:

7am - oatmeal
10am - shake
1pm - chicken noodle soup
4pm - shake
7pm - shake
10pm - shake & crackers

Each day I drink a minimum of 64 oz water, usually closer to 100 oz.

Thanks for listening!
Lynda
Newbie - #20 Club

Re: Ketosis Question

Postby explorthis » March 18th, 2004, 2:18 pm

Lynda wrote:I'm new to the Medifast Plan (this is Day 11). I lost 12 pounds in my first week!!!

when does the fatigue and hunger go away?

Am I doing something wrong? Does this mean I'm NOT in ketosis yet?

Lynda, welcome!

Your schedule and what you’re doing is 100% perfect. The hunger is mind game, until you get used to NOT eating. Remember, you went cold turkey - food to NO FOOD in one blink of the eye. You’re programmed for many, many years that when you were hungry, what do we do? We ate. It's really a brain game. The hunger twangs will subside as you progress more and more, and lose more and more. Stick with it, it works (as you can tell so far)

As for the Ketosis thing, we all went thru the battle/question of are we in Ketosis... ?!?! Ketosis is very mild on this program, barely measurable. The Point of the mild ketosis is obvious. If you’re doing what you stated in your schedule (which is awesome 12 pounds in 1 week) you are in the Ketonic state you’re supposed to be in...

It will take time to get used to not eating, but the pains - hunger - lack of energy do go away, and get easier.

After about 3 weeks - if I remember correctly, I had TOO much energy, and still do. I found myself up till almost midnight every night......

Stay with us.

-Mike
explorthis
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby TamiL » March 18th, 2004, 10:58 pm

Hi Lynda!!

Mike was right on (as always!) with his response....I think everyone is different when they start Medifast!! It took me a few weeks to get used to the program..I was dragging myself out of bed..and had no energy..and I was always cold (which I still am!!)..but after about 3 or 4 weeks (for me) I started to feel less hungry...and got a bit more energy over time!! I definatley KNOW that if I dont drink enuf water..that I feel sluggish and just out of it!! water is the most important thing in this program!! yes..I am up 3 times a night if not more to pee!! but I sleep walk right about now...barley remember!! and can get right back to bed!!

Just give it some time...everyone is different!! I was very lightheaded and felt "weird" the first few weeks...drink the 2 cups of boullion a day...get some fast soups and make sure you get some salt every day! that makes a big difference!! sometimes I have a lean/green meal if I know I have a hectic day coming up...to give myself a big boost of energy! but now...after 6 weeks..I have to sometimes force myself to have my 5th supplement...Im just not hungry like I was!! and right now its 1am in the morning..and IM wide awake with energy...watching the SNOW FALL out the window in lovley new england....BRING ON THE SPRING WOULD YA MOTHER NATURE!! weve had a long enuf winter!! lol!

stick with the program....its worth it!! I have sugar free jello sometimes 3 times a day..the little cups you can buy in the 6 packs at the store...they satisfy me when I have those craving days for something sweet and to eat with a spoon!! sometimes I have pickles with mustard for my salt cravings...and when I really need something CRUNCHY...I eat celery dipped in salsa...do what works for you!! just hang in there for a few weeks...youll see a big difference!!

happy shakin!!
Tami ;)
ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE IF YOU BELEIVE!!!

Medifast RESTART 13 March 09
150/my goal weight is 130
TamiL
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby explorthis » March 19th, 2004, 7:48 am

TamiL wrote:Im just not hungry like I was!! and right now its 1am in the morning..and IM wide awake with energy...watching the SNOW FALL out the window in lovley new england....BRING ON THE SPRING WOULD YA MOTHER NATURE!! weve had a long enuf winter

WOW. Snow? That's the white cold stuff you see in the Fridge? I got home last night, about 4:45P west coast time, just in time to catch the last 15 mins of Dr. Phil. He was just finishing up a special on nose hair trimmers, and how to wax Moustache's. I grabbed a Diet Coke, and prepared for Richard S. to come on at 5:00. He was having a reunion w/ the Dukes of Hazzard. I actually went out back and pulled the tarp of the ol Central A/C unit. It read 83 in the house. Thought I would be a "dude" and fire up the ol A/C and chill it up a bit before the tribe got home...

Snow?

Welcome to California, where I actually had the heater on this AM on the way in, where it will be in the mid 80's by about 1:00!

-A/C boy.
explorthis

Postby Landylue » March 19th, 2004, 8:18 am

Lynda, it took me almost three weeks to the day to get over wanting to eat. I was absolutely obsessed with thoughts of cheese enchiladas for almost the entire time. I felt like an addict! It was really strange, because I know that it wasn't true physical hunger, but just wanting to eat out of habit, or seeking comfort, or boredom, or procrastination. I was never very picky for a reason to eat.

Come to think of it, that would probably be a great thread to start sometime--The Reasons WHY We Eat. I'll bet real physical hunger would be very low on the list.

Hang in there, Lynda. I PROMISE you it gets much, much better.

Landylue
Failure is NOT an option!
Landylue
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Carrie » March 19th, 2004, 9:51 am

Lynda,

Hi ..... just thought I'd give you another take on things .....

I'm on day 19 and I do still have PHYSICAL hunger. It's minor, but my stomach is definitely ready for another shake 2 1/2 - 3 hours after my last meal. It's nothing I can't deal with. (For me the mind game hunger is much worse, and still bothersome at times). For that I am trying to keep my mind focused on my GOAL of weight loss, and CHOOSE to forgo a moments pleasure with food, by telling myself I'd rather lose weight.

I have had more energy and felt significantly better on this program than when I was eating whatever I wanted. I used to *HAVE* to have a large glass of ice tea in the morning to wake up and then another after lunch. Since day 3 I have not had even a sip of iced tea, haven't needed it. I am also sleeping much, much less. The only times I experience fatigue are if I wait too long between meals, particularly more than 4 hours. (I think it's because my blood sugar went too low).

I am truly amazed at the improvement in the way I feel, it's astonishing to have so much more energy and such an improvement in my mental state. I notice my mood is much more positive and less prone to wild fluctuations, and I attribute this to not eating loads of carbs/sugars and sending my blood sugar skyrocketing only to have it plunge shortly thereafter.

The program book says to allow 3-4 weeks for your body to adjust ..... maybe you just need a few more days under your belt?

Carrie
Now: 2/5/07: 233.6/220.0/145
1st time: 3/1/04, from 266.5 to 195.4
Carrie
Preferred Member - 70# Club

sunny california

Postby TamiL » March 19th, 2004, 10:18 am

Mike...thanks for the chuckle this morning!! :-P I woke up to....more snow flakes falling!! I cant wait to crank up the AC...have it be blarring hot outside!! I flipped thru my channels last night during my insomnia...but couldnt find richard simmons anywhere!! lol!! I have to say that Richard does have a good heart...despite his queer little shorts and shaven legs!! lol!! Dr. Phil doesnt bother me as much as his WIFE DOES!! who cares what she thinks about stuff...she walks like shes been sitting on something more than that chair the whole show!! (ooops...did I say that? little innocent ole me? lol) anyhoo....to each thier own...everyone has thier opinons about the talk show/hollywood scene.
Nelly's posts cracked me up too!! you guys are so funny. we need to start our own program!! lol!!

I love that I can come here for advice, as well as humor!! we all need to laugh more, its good for the soul!!
;) Tami
ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE IF YOU BELEIVE!!!

Medifast RESTART 13 March 09
150/my goal weight is 130
TamiL
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby granolagirl » March 19th, 2004, 2:39 pm

Congrats, Lynda!

I only have one thing to add to the great responses: hormones. Three weeks a month I am not hungry with the shakes, etc. But there is that one month where I am tired, hungry, full of cravings, etc. Haven't figured out how to get through that EXCEPT by having all chocolate shakes and a bar on those days. Oh yes, and if I am desparate I will make myself a Chocolate Cherry Coke (diet, with the flavored syrups).

Writing to your buddies here is a good idea, too.

Good luck,
Granola G.
granolagirl
Regular Member - #20 Club

Postby Lynda » March 21st, 2004, 5:01 pm

Wow - Thanks everyone for the all advice/feedback. Looks like I've definately found some friends for my journey! I'm doing well, now that I know I'm not doing something wrong, I can handle it.

I have to admit, I was a little disappointed at the scale this weekend. After dropping 12 pounds the first week, I only lost 2 1/2 the second. And I was letter perfect on the program. I guess it will catch up next week!

I'm so proud of myself right now. I just got back from a kids birthday party and managed to get through it without sneaking anything! The host was my best friend (whom I haven't seen in acouple of weeks, so she doesn't know about my program). Anyway, I was helping her clean up and really just wanted to lick the taco dip clean. It was almost sad how bad I wanted to just munch out. And not because I was hungry, I just wanted food. So, I asked my friend if she had any dill pickles. She looked at me funny and asked if I was having cravings. I assured her that I'm not pregnant and she gave me the pickles. So, I munched on a pickle while I cleaned up and left the taco dip alone! Yeah for me!!!!

Just wanted to share!
Lynda
Newbie - #20 Club

Postby pinkgeek » March 22nd, 2004, 1:55 pm

TamiL wrote:
sometimes I have pickles with mustard for my salt cravings...

Tami ;)

Ahhh my hero. I was just going to ask about mustard. I have been super nauseous today. I don't know if there is something about the French Vanilla shakes that I can't tolerate or if taking shakes so early in the morning (7:30ish) is making me ill feeling. I never eat before 9:30 when I was eating food, so I thought that could be the reason. Funny thing is, I'm the queen of sugar and now all I can think about is cheese...so when I had pickles yesterday, they tasted like heaven. I was also thinking man, if I could just have some mustard for my sour stomach, I think I would be okay. I find that I *HAVE* to have the bouillon b/c I'm getting light-headed a lot. I drink a ton of water..prolly close to the gallon that mike recommended, so maybe all the electrolytes are getting flushed out. I'm going to have a pickle in a bit and think I will try the mustard, too. For the first time in my life, I can't stand the thought of something sweet, including another shake, so my next supplement is going to be the chicken noodle soup. Thanks for all the great information and all of your posts!

Angela
~Angela

Start date: 3/21/04
195.5/159.5/115
After a week off: Restart 6/7/04
164/154.4/115
pinkgeek
Trusted Member - #40 Club

Return to Weight Loss