Ketosis Question

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

Ketosis Question

Postby star85 » January 15th, 2004, 9:17 am

Nancy or Tim,
I have 5 shakes a day, 1 bar and 1 pkt. of the crackers. Which is about 96g of carbs a day. I drink all my water too. This is the only way I found that I can do the program without cheating. I found this out after cheating twice the 1st 2 weeks I tried the program. I realized that the soups and chili did not fill me up like the shakes, so I was glad to read in one of Nancy's post that an extra shake was aloud because that made all the difference! Plus I like the extra crackers we can have once a day because it satisfies my cravings for either chips or bread. I started back on the program yesterday and with my new system I did fine! I think the following might impress you. For dinner my husband and 2 sons all wanted something different ( which happens alot in our house ). They all like differenet foods. I baked mozzarella sticks, french fries, Buffallo chicken tenders, popcorn shrimp, and a cheeseburger (everything was baked not fried), served it, walked away and had my shake! Just knowing I could have my extra shake relieved the anxiety of wanting to cheat. I told them that I would not be able to sit with them at dinner for a while and that was that. Anyway now back to my question. Why is it that on diets like Atkins in order for ketosis to work, you have to keep the carb level in the beginning to below 25gms. and on this diet between 5-7 shakes a day, plus extras like the crackers we are consuming almost 100gms a day? I know the diet works because since adhering to the diet since yesterday I went from 224lbs. to 221lbs. I weigh first thing in the A.M. and put the same sweat outfit on just for weighing in, so I know it wasn't the clothes. Also if you notice anything I'm doing wrong on the program by what I've listed here, please let me know. I don't want to mess up again. Also, how much 1/2 & 1/2 can we have a day in our coffee? I have 1 cup every morning, which I really need and currently measure out 2 tbsp., which is 40 cal. 3.5gms. of fat and 1 gm. of carbs. Now that I 've found a system that works for me. I'm very methodical, can't ya tell!

Thanks,
Kelyn
star85
Trusted Member - #20 Club

Postby Unca_Tim » January 15th, 2004, 11:23 am

Hi Kelyn,

First of all, the jury is still out on how many carbs one should consume a day. It can vary between 25g and as high as 175g.

Comparing Atkins and Medifast is a little like apples and oranges. Medifast is a clinically formulated medical "food" that has been designed, tested and proven for over 20 years. There's really no choices, measuring or meal planning needed. The mild state of ketosis that you enter using Medifast as prescribed, is "just" enough (sometimes not even measurable with keto-sticks) to totally satisfy the body and trigger it into using your stored body fat for energy without turning to the protein in your muscles for glucose. Thus, no muscle loss, which can occur on other low carb diets if you miscalculate your intake. Just follow the plan and it works.

With Atkins or similar diets, the follower can combine a variety of foods in a variety of ways and get off course if they make the wrong decisions. The jury is still out on low carb diets also as to the long term affects they can have on our bodies, especially if the follower gets the wrong relationship of fats, protein and carbs. There can also be nutritional deficiencies if your meal plan is lacking certain foods.

You should be just fine having your extra shake a day. You may find at a later date, once your body gets adjusted to your new diet, that you can eliminate the extra shake. Many people even find it hard to have that 5th shake, once they're on the plan for a while, but it is very important to get ALL your meals in regular intervals throughout the day. This could be the single most important aspect of the diet. You want your bod to be continually satisfied so that it stops storing your food as fat, and feeds off your stored fat. You could also substitute a lean/green meal for your afternoon or evening meal and find that satisfies the urge to have that extra shake. We eat alot of lean chicken and fish with a green salad around here.

A splash of 1/2 and 1/2 in your morning coffee should also be fine. I know most everyone here has been on about every fad diet that's came around and are worried about adhering to the rules of this one, but i think people can get a little too obsessive with following the plan. Dont feel bad if you want to chew on a pickle or stick of celery, have a piece of lean chicken or fish, have a small salad with LF dressing, go for it. Just be sensible with healthy foods and portions. Just stay AWAY from the garbage processed foods. Your body will love it, and gobble those pounds away. You're not losing weight by starving your body. You're losing weight by meeting your nutritional needs with a steady stream of healthy foods throughout the course of the day. No wonder we get fat when when load ourselves up with 1 or 2 huge garbage meals a day. Our bodies don't get all the nutrients it wants and is wondering when the next meal is coming. No wonder it stores it as fat. We can literally be starving our bodies (nutritionally) with massive amounts of food.

You already said it best in your quote:
I know the diet works because since adhering to the diet since yesterday I went from 224lbs. to 221lbs.

Not being a nutritionist, I would be misleading you if i claimed to know the exact mechanics of how and why Medifast does what it does. All I know is, that when properly followed it works.

Keep in mind this is only my opinion also...:)

Keep shakin'
:cheers:
Keep up the good work and keep us posted,
Unca
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Postby star85 » January 15th, 2004, 12:15 pm

Unca,
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly! I really appreciate all the great info & suggestions. I feel more assured now that I'm following the program correctly. I wasn't sure whether or not to continue a low carb diet once I reach my goal and complete the maintenance. I guess I'll worry about crossing that bridge when I get closer to it! I first have to reach my goal! I was wondering if there is anyone else on the boards that has reached the maintenance part of the program yet? Thanks again Unca.

Kelyn
star85
Trusted Member - #20 Club

Return to Weight Loss