Ketosis.... and NO food?

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

Ketosis.... and NO food?

Postby SugarHigh » August 25th, 2004, 7:42 pm

Ok... am just cruious... like, about fasting and stuff.
I read all the stuff about glucose and carbs and fats and stuff.
but say you weren't eating AT ALL.
I mean.
AT ALL
would that still put your body into ketosis?
and how fast?
and how much weight would you lose?
SugarHigh

Postby Marseilles » August 26th, 2004, 8:03 am

Hi Sugarhigh...

I see you are a guest here and I would venture to guess that you are looking for a quick fix, for an occasion, or something of the like. If I assume wrong, forgive me.

At any rate, let me warn you off of the idea of starving yourself completely..having done so in the past, I speak from experience when I tell you it is nothing but detrimental to your health and well being. You WILL lose weight rapidly to begin with, at the cost of your health. After a couple of days your body will recognize that it is not being given any sustenance and will take on a sort of concentration camp syndrome, whereby it will slowly start to burn lean muscle mass in order to sustain itself. Loosely translated, it will try and hang onto fat reserves knowing you are starving it and start to slowly destroy your muscles and organs.

Doesnt sound like much fun, does it?

Although medifast is a very low calorie diet, the balance of carbs and protiens is enough to sustain your lean muscle mass and keeps the body from doing damage to itself. When your caloric intake does not match your output or is less than, the liver releases free fatty acids from your stored fat and burns them for fuel. through PROPER use of medifast, you are keeping your vital organs and tissues fed and properly nourished.

Although you MAY lose a significant amount of weight by starving yourself initially, you would very soon be lethargic to the point of exhaustion, constantly cold, losing hair and possibly teeth and doing grave damage to your internal organs. Also, when you started to eat again, which you would, one can only starve themselves for so long, your body would go into panic mode and store EVERY POSSIBLE BIT of your intake as fat, thinking it will again face starvation soon. You would be totally devastating your metabolism and soon find yourself weighing MORE than when yous tarted to starve yourself.

I would think twice about it, dearheart...its VERY VERY bad for you.

Life rarely offers quick fixes that are beneficial.

Hope this is helpful,
-M.
Marseilles
Preferred member

Postby Lois » August 26th, 2004, 9:03 am

Hello and WELCOME 8)

I agree wholeheartedly with what has been posted above! I too have gone the FASTING route....water fasts, bread and water fasts, and juice fasts. I have fasted for 10, 30, and 60 days at a time. EVERY time I did it I was looking for quick results...and I THOUGHT those results would last.....

SOOooo.... what were the results? Initial weight loss which slows down as soon as your body realizes it's STARVING! The long term results? Fatigue, mood swings, hair loss, dry skin, muscle loss (let's not forget that our HEARTS are made of MUSCLE!), and a MUCH SLOWER METABOLISM than when you started the fast.

There are PLENTY of websites out there that promote the glories of fasting, and I was a regular on one of them a few years ago. Yes, I lost 60 pounds...and regained 75!!!!!!!!! Beware of the "miracle cures" and outlandish claims.....they rarely tell the WHOLE story.

You ought to be able to lose weight AND live your life at the same time. I could never do that while I was fasting....but with MF I can.

Wishing you the best,

Lois
Lois
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Return to The Weight Room