Kendra

1 Thread per registered User.

Kendra

Postby kendra_m » September 1st, 2006, 7:38 am

Hi everyone... I'm two days away from starting my Medifast journey & lifestyle change. The days since I made a decision to do medifast have been intense ones, with all that's going on in my mind about it. I've done so much thinking about what's brought me to this point in my life and how I plan to change it.

Just a bit about myself.... tomorrow I turn 45 yrs old. I have two sons, one is 10 yrs old and one is 18 yrs old and has Down syndrome.
I've struggled with weight since my teen years, tho looking at pictures recently, I realized that in my teens and 20s, I wasn't really as heavy as I thought I was at the time.
Anyway, all thru the years, I dieted, fell off, gained back... the usual yo yo syndrome. I think I've lost and gained enough to make a whole nother person. About 3 years ago tho, I made a big lifestyle change and really felt like it was a change for life. I followed a program that was basically 6 small meals per day and 6 days a week of exercise. I did well on it, lost about 80 lbs. in about a year, with a starting weight of 302 lbs. It was hard work tho... omg. I was married at the time and my husband was very heavy, but not interested in losing weight. He supported my efforts, but I could tell it made him feel badly, which then made me feel guilty. Anyway, at the end of that year, i jogged/walked a half marathon, I felt so great, had so much energy, etc etc. After a few months, I started fudging more on the eating, almost like I felt like I was successfully 'beating the system' because I could cheat and still lose. Unfortunately, as we all know, this doesn't last long. I was still exercising, so I didn't gain back, but I definitely stopped losing.

Then 8 months ago, my husband died suddenly. He had a cut on his shin that became infected and he died from toxic shock syndrome as the toxins from the infection spread throughout his body. He was in the hospital for less than a day when he died, so it was very unexpected.
Needless to say, my world turned inside out and upside down. In the weeks shortly after his death, I gave myself permission to eat whatever, thinking that when things settled down, I'd get back on track. I wasn't exercising at all, I felt numb most of the time and wasn't sleeping well.

As time went on, life settled down, my boys and I figured out a different daily life, tho it was shrouded in pain and hurt and grief. I've spent much energy focused on my kids and helping them deal with their loss. My child with Down syndrome is taking this particularly hard and has needed so much special attention.
So how did I cope? Welllll I turned back to my familiar coping mechanism.... eating. I gave myself permission because life felt so hard... because I knew I could lose it.... cuz anytime now I'd start back exercising... yada yada yada. In the meantime, the pounds are packing back onto my body. The new clothes I'd bought are starting to not fit. My energy level is dropping. The downward spiral of my self induced failure has begun. The more it happens, the more I talk hateful to myself (omg the running dialogue is awful!), the worse I feel, and the more I turn to food, my familiar companion.

Then, a few days ago, I posted on a board on a different site about this downward spiral that I felt stuck in. I've been praying for a couple of weeks a very specific prayer, that I was realizing I was falling into this pit of not taking care of myself... that I knew I couldn't get out of it alone... and asked for God's help in bringing me to a place that I could make a change. The day after I posted, mellowmom responded, empathized, talked about a plan that had changed her life. It touched something inside of me and I asked for more info, she gave it, we talked, I started reading this forum and researching Medifast. The spark had been lit into a flame inside of me and I knew it was the right thing to do, it just felt right. I felt like my prayer had been answered.

So tomorrow is my birthday, I decided not to start on that day cuz I might want a piece of chocolate cake and a couple of beers (tho not together!). Funnily enough, neither of those things seem that important or appealing to me now. But anyway, I chose my start date as Sunday. The first day after my birthday being the birth of the new me. The me that is going to take care of herself, that is going to make a commitment to follow this plan, that is going to stick with it until I have the healthy body that I want.

I've been so inspired by reading everyone's posts here. We have so many things in common, but each with our unique gifts and challenges. It's a community that I'm so happy to be able to be part of.
Am looking forward to this journey with you. :D

Kendra
(now if i can just figure out these fancy emoticons and the whole ticker thing!)
kendra_m
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Unca_Tim » September 1st, 2006, 7:48 am

Happy "Birthday" Kendra and welcome,
:wave:

So sorry for your unexpected loss. Only time heals tragedies like that, but there's always a scar.

We're glad you found us.
Unca
"Failure is a choice"
~From a dream~
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Postby TheShadow » September 1st, 2006, 9:09 am

Kendra, Happy Birthday. And remember that it's also the birth of the new you. The you that will be able to succeed at losing this weight.

I am so sorry about the loss of your husband. I cannot imagine the shock of such a sudden and unexpected loss. I know you must have been devestated, to say the least. No one could ever blame you for seeking comfort in any wany that seemed to work. I hope that Medifast will help you to recover from the lapse in your weight loss journey.

You will succeed and you will be strong in the future. You've turned a corner on your grief and on your weight and the new day is almost here! Your kids need a healthy mom to help them to recover also and you are on your way.

Take care and read and write here often. The stories in the "elevator" section are very inspiring as are the photos in the studio.

Tammy
200.5/168.5/132
TheShadow
TheShadow
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby alpha femme » September 1st, 2006, 10:43 am

happy birthday, kendra.
welcome to the family.
you'll get a lot of support one here--
and not all of it has to be weight related.

i know you're going to do great.
alpha femme
Preferred member

Postby kendra_m » September 2nd, 2006, 5:55 am

Thanks everyone for the wonderful welcome and good wishes!

I'm so excited to start tomorrow!! I'm going to be out of town, which probably isn't ideal, but I'm confident that I can figure it out. My product arrived yesterday, I've got my stuff sorted out to take with me and I've already talked to my sister in law about the menu at her house for my L & G. There will be chicken on the grill and plenty of veggies, so I'll be just fine!
A piece of birthday cake today and I'll be saying goodbye to sugar!! It's such a good feeling. I feel more in control already and I haven't even started!

Thanks again everyone.... can't wait to post again about my first couple of days!!

Kendra
kendra_m

Postby GucciGoo » September 2nd, 2006, 5:57 am

WELCOME AND GOOD LUCK!
BETH formerly known as Dark & Stormy
GucciGoo
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby lauradr » September 2nd, 2006, 6:19 am

kendra, Happy Birthday!!

So sorry for your loss . You have came to the right place for support.
Welcome
I'm not where I wanna be but, thank God I'm not where I use to be!

248/174/150

t: 5'11
lauradr
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby JeepGirl » September 2nd, 2006, 11:52 am

Welcome aboard Kendra.
I am sorry to hear about your lose. You have taken a big step which will lead to many little steps that will in turn take you where you want to be **Healthy again**
You will get tons of support here in so many ways!
I look forward to getting to know ya!

Happpy Birthday!!!

I hope you have a great day!
JeepGirl

Postby kendra_m » September 4th, 2006, 8:37 am

Today is my first day!!!!!!!!! I had intended to start yesterday but changed my mind. I was out of town visiting family and I just didn't feel like I could control enough variables in my day. I stepped on the scale this morning.... 308. I was not happy about that... but it won't be in the 3s for long, i know that. I feel strong and confident today about the decision I've made and my commitment to do it.

Thanks to everyone who has written such kind words of support and encouragement!

kendra
kendra_m

Postby Elizabeth » September 4th, 2006, 8:44 am

Congratulations on your first day Kendra! Best wishes to you. Keep posting away ;) Nice to have you here.
Elizabeth

Postby kendra_m » September 4th, 2006, 8:57 am

Y'all are probably going to think I'm goofy (which i am, but....) cuz I just posted, but I wanted to write a journal entry for myself to get clear in my mind about my goals and my strategies etc.

I've given a lot of thought to my goals... I'm hesitant to set long term goals related to actual pounds right now til I see how it goes. But, that said, I would loveeee to be in Onederland a year from now. Which seems reasonable, based on other peoples progress. That would be 100 pounds in a year.

My short term goals are simply compliance to the program, one week at a time. I do well when I build in rewards, so for now, I'm gonna reward myself each week that I'm totally compliant with the program.
Week 1 - For total compliance, the reward will be a haircut at a salon that I love but usually can't afford.
Week 2 - A pedicure
Week 3 - Not sure yet
Month 1 of complete compliance - purchasing a pair of prescription sunglasses, which I'd needed and wanted for ages, but haven't wanted to spend the money.

I'm not so good at spending money on myself, so not only will these things be rewards but they'll help with my brain reprogramming that I'm worth the time, effort, expense of taking good care of myself!!

Strategies: ( i thought it might be helpful to myself to keep a running list of strategies that i can add to over time as challenges come up)

1. Journal online
2. Plenty of water
3. Have a plan for emotional eating: When i want to eat anything that's unplanned, commit to myself that I'll have a drink of water first. That gives me a few seconds to stop and think. Ask myself, What am i feeling? What do I really need? If I'm truly hungry, I'll have a MF shake. If I'm bored, lonely, sad, whatever, I'll do something to actually fill that need. Food isn't gonna do the trick.
4. Plan ahead for travel.

:hatch: Finding the new me!!
--------------
10# - 9/11/06
20# - 9/24/06
30# - 11/5/06
40# - 11/19/06
kendra_m

Postby JeepGirl » September 4th, 2006, 9:44 am

Heavens Girl you ain't no goofier than any one else around here ;)

I think journaling is a great way to write your goals and thoughts down.

YAY @ setting up rewards. I am a firm believer in this!
Also the glasses thing..I myself, as well as a few others have had to get either new glasses or had theirs resized because of weight loss in the face :D I actually got a call a few mins that my new ones came in so I am fixen to go pick them up!

I used to not be good at spending money on myself..it always seemed the kiddos needed new jeans or whatnot, but I am slowly coming around ot what I forecast will be a major problem when I get to regular sizes in clothes LOL

BTW--Your ticker looks great ;)
JeepGirl

Postby kendra_m » September 5th, 2006, 6:24 am

I survived Day 1.... woohooooo! It actually wasn't bad at all. Amazing what you can do when you've got mental determination! I had some hunger during the day, but it was totally tolerable. One of the things I'm having to re-unlearn is the feelings of anxiety that come with hunger. It's so weird... like, as a person who has issues with food, my body becomes anxious and uneasy when it's hungry. I guess because I've spent many years comforting myself with food, that when my body is telling me that it needs food, I feel like I'm losing my coping mechanisms if I can't feed it? Geesh, how messed up is that? I'm trying to build lots of positive self affirmations into my running self-dialogue, so I just kept telling myself that I was fine, my body was fully nourished and getting everything that it needs. And repeating my mantra of "food is fuel for my body, nothing more."

Last night my mom wanted to take me out for dinner for my birthday, so I accepted and planned ahead for what I would order. I had grilled salmon and steamed veggies and it was delicious. I didn't feel like it was a struggle at all. Yeaaaa!
She had also gotten me an ice cream cake (her guilt of not being with me on my birthday, i do believe). I graciously blew out my candles and I had one bite (which i know isn't optimal) but then I stopped and enjoyed my cup of coffee. I'll have to come up with a strategy for things like that.... I didn't want to be rude but I also wasn't ready to stand up on my podium and announce my current plan. I've talked to my kids about it and one sister in law, but otherwise, haven't felt like I wanted to spread the news far and wide. I think I'll just tell people on a 'need to know' basis.

Here's to Day 2!!

--------------
10# - 9/11/06
20# - 9/24/06
30# - 11/5/06
40# - 11/19/06
kendra_m

Postby Elizabeth » September 5th, 2006, 6:35 am

Congratulations Kendra on getting through day 1 and getting through that birthday dinner with minimal damage. Sounds like you've had a nice couple of day celebrating. Now, its day 2 :) Have a great day. Take care of yourself. Post if you need us. These next couple of days aren't so fun for most people...just stick with it and it will be over and you'll be feeling amazing.
Elizabeth

Postby kendra_m » September 5th, 2006, 12:25 pm

Warning: ranting (and a little self-therapy) ahead!!

I'm hosting a 75th birthday party for my mom next Sunday and have been looking thru lots of old pictures to use as part of a memory book for her and for decorations. I'm so aware of how my weight has changed over the years. I'm surprised my body isn't more trashed, I've not been very kind to it.

Something that really hit me tho, was looking thru some pics of me and my family that had belonged to my grandma. She had written captions on the back so she could show them to friends. There were several that had comments about my weight, not malicious things, but comments nonetheless. My grandma was the person when I was young that seemed the most bothered by my weight. It didn't fit into her idea of what a pretty girl/young woman should look like, i reckon. She would make the "you'd be so pretty if you just lost a little weight" comments and would make bribery offers (once as a teen, she offered to buy me a whole new wardrobe if I lost 50 lbs.) . What she actually did... was teach me (very effectively) that I wasn't good enough as I was. That I wasn't pretty enough if I was overweight. What a shame. What a sad thing to teach a young woman. It took me a long time to figure out that this played a big part in why I was so hard on myself... on why I never felt 'good enough'.

Well, I'm closing the door on that chapter, girlfriends. She was wrong... I lover her, but dangit, she was wrong. I am good enough, always have been.

:heart:

--------------
10# - 9/11/06
20# - 9/24/06
30# - 11/5/06
40# - 11/19/06
kendra_m

Next

Return to My Journal