jump4joy

1 Thread per registered User.

Postby DogMa » July 19th, 2006, 3:03 pm

It IS quieter, more like when I first started. I think it just picks up for a while around the beginning of the year with all the new folks. Weight Watchers and other programs get more crowded around then, too.

Good for you, staying off the scale. You're stronger than I am!! But hey, what would I do for entertainment if I didn't weigh every five minutes?
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby jump4joy » July 19th, 2006, 3:37 pm

Me, stronger than YOU...that's a laugh.....thanks for saying it though! I'm sure I won't be able to stay off for more than a few days, :lol: but it gets me down to work so hard and not see it MOVE.....you know better than most how that feels, yet you keep on goin', don'cha girlie!?!

I'll bet this forum goes dead during the holidays...at least that's what I've seen at other forums. Well, I'll still be here then....gonna make it to goal weight by my b-day if it kills me!

Random thoughts:

Today I've been thinking about the turnover in names here that I've seen in just the few months I've been a part of this forum, and it's got me wondering how many people here have actually made it to goal, and then how many of those KEEP the weight off. I'd be really interested in the statistics.....how many drop out, how many hang in there and make it? Losing weight has been one of the toughest things I've done, and yet I know a few people who have been overweight all of their lives, and one friend of mine who has always had a weight problem recently said to me that she doesn't know HOW I've lost weight. I told her the only difference between us is that I KNOW it can be done....I've done it, and that she could do it too...even though it's hard. I don't have any special powers....and I have especially had a TOUGH time keeping the weight off when I manage to lose it! I haven't done that one YET....but I will! I have a suspicion that out of all the people who start out....all of them with great hopes....that very few make it to the finish line, and STAY there. I'd like to be proven wrong.....I'd like to believe that the success-rate for those who lose it all is higher than I think it is. What is the actual rate of drop-outs or recidivism (relapse or weight regain) on MF? I'm really curious about this. I also see people right here at this forum who are losing successfully, and I wonder how many successful "losers" just aren't in the statistics because they just DO it and then go quietly on with their lives......just wondering.....

Joy :heart:
Motto: The time will pass whether I diet or not.
jump4joy
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby TheShadow » July 20th, 2006, 11:20 am

Well I don't know the stats Joy, but I do know that people with good support will last longer on this diet or any other, and this forum is the best support around. I know that people who know how to lose the weight will be more successful keeping it off, because if we gain a few back after transition we know what to do. I think that you will be very successful. Questioning how well we will be able to maintain is, I think, a good sign that you will be vigilant when you go on to maintenance. You know that people gain back the weight if they don't change the old habits that got us there in the first place. I had the very same thoughts as you. I notice that not many folks stay in the maintenance forum for very long. I wish they would post every few weeks or months and let us know how they are maintaining. Let's promise that we won't be those folks. I will try to post at least once a month when I reach my goal. I know that that will be a "when" and not an "if" because I truly have faith in this diet and, at last, I have faith in myself and my ability to do this. This is the first diet where I truly feel in control of my weight loss.

Tammy
200.5/179/132
TheShadow
TheShadow

Postby DogMa » July 20th, 2006, 3:38 pm

Yep, I'm planning to hang around once I hit maintenance, too. I'm really grateful for those who've hit maintenance and continued to post updates on occasion.

We get an awful lot of returning people here, too. It's great that they're still trying, but it IS a concern that they either didn't reach goal or didn't maintain it when they did.

I've hit goal before on Atkins, and maintained for about three years, but then gained it back because I listened to the people who said low-carb wasn't healthy. So I DO have high hopes that I'll be able to maintain this long-term. But it's hard - really, really hard. Harder than losing it, IMHO. You have to stay vigilant all the time, you HAVE to exercise regularly, and you have to do something as soon as you see the slightest bit of scale creepage. If you don't, then before you know it you've gained everything back plus more.

And like you, Joy, I REALLY want to be at goal by my birthday. Although I'm thinking I might make it as far as size but not weight at this point because of the increase in exercise lately. (But I'd much rather fit in tiny jeans than weigh less.)
Robin

203/130/130
DogMa

Postby jump4joy » July 20th, 2006, 5:48 pm

I agree.....losing it is HARD.....Keeping it off--HARDER! I have high hopes too of keeping it off this time. To me, there is no other option....I refuse to spend the rest of my life fat, which would not only shorten my life considerably but would very negatively affect my QUALITY of life as well. After the really hard work of losing this weight, then I believe the really harder work of keeping it off begins. Permanent change....accepting that I can never ever eat the way I used to...and as you said, Robin, VIGILANCE. A lifetime of vigilance.....others have done it and we can do it too, if we're willing to pay the price and DO whatever it takes.

I've been disappointed to see the lack of posts at the maintenance forum, and I'm willing to make that pledge with you Tammy, to keep on posting after maintenance at least once a month. It could be a good source of accountability and support at such a crucial point in entering maintenance and staying there. I've committed myself to continuing a Medifast lifestyle all through 2007. I won't be "off" the diet......I'll just be onto the next phase. That was the mistake I made in the past and I won't do that again. I've committed to myself to not allow any sweets or desserts the first six months of next year.....I may eliminate sweets altogether next year.....I'll see how it goes when I get there. I absolutely will NOT gain the weight back again! It would be too devastating and I just don't think I have it in me to do this all again...I refuse to go though it all this for NOTHING, and gain it back again. I believe I've learned and am learning from my past mistakes so I don't repeat them this time. This will be the last time I have to do this! Hanging on to High Hopes too. In the meantime, I'm just hanging on to PATIENCE with my slower losses this time around.

jump4joy

Hi

Postby dede4wd » July 20th, 2006, 7:08 pm

I loved your last post! I also pledge that I will continue posting here while on maintenance. There is no other option, I will NOT gain this weight back. If I slip 5-10lbs, I will be right back on program and I will continue with vigilence!

DeDe
dede4wd
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Lizabette » July 20th, 2006, 8:16 pm

I have the book "Thin for Life" by Anne M. Fletcher which is a recommended resource by Medifast writer Linda Sprangle,
author of "Success in a Shaker Jar".

I had read it before I knew about Medifast and before losing weight with MF.
It holds more meaning to me now because it gives Keys to Success used by people who have already 'lost weight and kept it off!'

My goal is so close I can taste it, and like DEDE, I sometimes feel 'terrified' about the maintenance phase.
I believe ROBIN is right that it will be harder to maintain weight loss than it is to lose it in the first place.

But so many others have really done it, and if others can do it, so can we!
This is kind of the way we felt in taking on the weight loss in the first place...
it seemed like a distant dream!
But for us who believe that we can do it, WILL!

Lizabette :heart:
Lizabette :heart:
195/135 - Reached goal, Aug. 31, '06
Lizabette
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby DogMa » July 20th, 2006, 9:05 pm

I'll take the pledge, too, although I admit that maybe several YEARS down the road, I might slack off on posting.

I'm already planning my future indulgences in maintenance or transition. If I make it to my goal size by my birthday (I'm trying to focus less on weight), I can have a dessert while I'm in Denver (when I celebrate with my family) and on my actual birthday (when I celebrate with a friend or friends). That's in early September.

After that, vigilance till Thanksgiving. I can have dessert - and stuffing, if it's GOOD stuffing - on Thanksgiving. I can have latkes - just a couple - for Hanukkah. After that, I'll see how it goes. I'm thinking I'll probably designate one day out of each month when I can eat what I want (ice cream and/or carbs), within reason.

And there will be serious consequences if I slack off on the exercise at any point. Maybe a full day of Medifast shakes.
Robin

203/130/130
DogMa

Postby jump4joy » July 20th, 2006, 9:42 pm

I'm so glad for the pledges to keep posting...at least for a while. :heart: The first six months after I hit goal at least. Even if there are only a few of us, it will make transition and early maintenance less lonely and I think the support will be so important during that crucial time. :hug:

Good idea, DeDe, to take serious action right away with a 5-10 lb. gain. One book I have suggests calling it the 3-5 lb. Alarm.

That's very smart to plan your future indulgences, Robin. I will do that too. Better not count my eggs.....FIRST I better concentrate on getting it OFF. :lol: (I'm there mentally....just need to catch up physically!).

Lizabette....oh, you are soooo close! So excited for you. :yippee: I love your imagery about it "seeming like a distant dream" once upon a time. For me, the dream is less distant....yet more than halfway away....I still need to endure to the end and go the distance first. I'll be following as quickly as I can. I have that book too and bought it several years ago. It helps me too, to see what real people have done to keep their weight off. I also have two other books that I think are excellent:

"Keeping It Off" by Robert Colvin, Ph.D. and Susan C. Olson, Ph.D. (this book was on the recommended reading list in the first edition of Success in a Shaker Jar). It can only be gotten through the authors....it cost me $11.45 and I called 1-800-535-6425. Don't know if this number is still valid, but I sent my check to: Dr. Susan Olson, 3055 Alki S.W. Unit A, Seattle, Wash 98116---in case anyone's interested.

The other book is "Now That You've Lost It" by Joyce D. Nash Ph.D. Very helpful book in my opinion. Both of these are very good!

Last edited by jump4joy on July 21st, 2006, 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
jump4joy

Postby DogMa » July 20th, 2006, 11:04 pm

Thanks for the tip, Joy. I may need to look into those books.
Robin

203/130/130
DogMa

Postby Serendipity » July 21st, 2006, 5:21 am

Thanks, Joy. I'm going to order both books. I'm on the back stretch, too....34 more lbs., so I need to get serious about maintenance.

I have already decided to stretch transition out....take it slow. Maintenance will be a lifelong struggle, though, and I agree that support should not stop at goal.

I have already pledged on a different thread to stick around in maintenance. I might not post as often, but I will regularly check in with my progress and struggles.
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Postby jump4joy » August 1st, 2006, 11:13 am

August 1, 2006

It's a beautiful, cool and rainy day today! :lightening: It's noon and only 60 degrees outside right now....what a difference from the sweltering 100's we just escaped from!

I haven't journaled for a few weeks, so I thought I'd post some thoughts.

I've been sick with a cold for about two weeks.....just getting over it now. I caught some kind of intestinal viral-thing and now I'm going into my 5th day of the "trots". I'm getting concerned because I've never had that this long. I finally broke down this morning and took some Imodium.

My weight had been plateauing for a while, I think because my body was holding onto it's fat because of the stress of being ill. This morning I was down to 181.4, so the plateau has broken (hopefully, not temporarily!). The one good thing about this viral-thing is that I'm being VERY compliant....in fact, I HAVE to do the full-fast because my system can't handle solid food right now. Surprisingly, the chocolate RTD's and hot cocoa aren't making my stomach upset. Today I'll have some Fast Soup and broth and I'm drinking SmartWater by Glaceau, which has electrolytes in it to replace the minerals and electrolytes that I'm sure I need right now. If this problem doesn't clear up soon, I'll have to call my doctor.....hate to do that.

A new month has begun....I love it. My girls will be going back to school in three weeks. I've enjoyed having them around all summer, but it will be nice to get back into a routine. I'll be busy this month with back-to-school shopping and getting ready for Jessica's (my oldest dd) 17th birthday in two weeks. My goals this month (diet-wise) is to reach the 40# club (when I hit 180 very soon), then I'd love to lose consistently by being 100% compliant...tighten up where I can....like using the bars less, eliminating the MF crackers, etc. I know my body won't lose any faster than it WILL, but I'd like to ZOOM down through the 170's this month and get down to 169 on Sept. 1st, which will be my 18th wedding anniversary. I'd be lucky to lose 8-10 lbs. in August, so I'll take whatever I get and be happy.

Slow and steady wins the race....

jump4joy

Postby Denise » August 3rd, 2006, 2:46 pm

Joy...You are going to be in the 40lb club..before you know it!
Glad to see you are starting to feel better! :lol:
Denise
Preferred member

Postby DogMa » August 3rd, 2006, 3:08 pm

I'm hoping for ... oh, maybe SEVEN pounds this month. Since I just happen to be seven pounds from goal. Sigh. But if I don't make it, I don't. Slow and steady is right. (And tightening up is a good idea. That's what I've been doing lately and I can see a difference.)
Robin

203/130/130
DogMa

Postby jump4joy » August 4th, 2006, 3:00 pm

August 4, 2006

Well, it's been one week since I got sick and I'm still having sandbox problems. Yuck. I am on the upswing though, just tired of being housebound. NOW it's my PMDD week too (PMS times 1000), so I'm starving and can't eat any solids or I'll PAY for it. Good thing I can do the complete plan with just shakes....at least I know I'm getting the nutrients I need. I've been drinking Smartwater (with electrolytes), since I know I need them.

You'd THINK that being sick would at least cause a weight loss, but NOOoooo! Yesterday I was so starved that I had some lean hamburger, then some popcorn (2 cups), then a few mint cookies....oh boy!!! I was sicker than a dog afterwards and didn't eat a thing after 6:30 p.m. Slept late, and had my first MF at 10:30 a.m. Seriously, I'm back on-plan now. I've kept track of everything I've eaten since I started, and I can see a definite pattern....if I do ANY off-plan eating, it's during my PMDD week, and there hasn't been a month where I have made it through that week being compliant. I do really great....no problemo....the rest of the month. One good thing, though, over the months my off-plan eating is in smaller amounts and fewer days. I AM making progress. If I can't be perfect, I'll settle for doing the best that I can.....that's all I can do. I used to throw the baby out with the bathwater in the past if I was less than perfect on MF. But that's why I was stuck in Restart Hell for so many years....once I allowed myself to be imperfect, but jump right back on the wagon as quickly as possible, I was able to make some good progress. Hence my motto---Excellence, not perfection. I'm still hoping that next month will be the month when I make it through PMDD week with 100% compliance. All I can do is aim high and do my best.

My anxiety and depression this week isn't as severe as it's been in the past, but I still am feeling a little blue. :sadblue:

I'm happy for the support and friendship I've found here at this forum....

jump4joy

PreviousNext

Return to My Journal