Jolts are a good thing!

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

Jolts are a good thing!

Postby explorthis » June 4th, 2004, 8:35 am

Whenever I am tempted to eat a load of garbage, I think of my Uncle Jake and look at my toes. (diabetes) That loaf of bread or your toes?

Sometimes it takes those wake-up calls, sometimes it takes another person's experiences to give us a jolt and sometimes we just have to get to the place where we realize that we are worth it, that it is ok to love yourself and it is ok to put yourself first!

This was from a post from Jewels, Nancy replied to. I love Nancy’s replies, always courteous, and fun to read. They are from the heart. She has been there, wearing your shoes. When I read the post above, (quoted parts) Nancy says when temped to eat junk, she thinks of her Uncle Jake, and his toes being amputated, I can tell you she thinks of a lot more than her Uncle when deciding weather to put some taboo food in her mouth.

Here is my take… Being FAT my entire life (tell me if any of you see yourselves here) really made no difference in what or how much I ate. I have no idea (doubt Bob Newhart could even diagnose this one) why I ate, weather it was hunger, or just to eat, because others were eating, or because it was just available. I ate, and I ate a ton, thus my 330+ pounds of fat weight. No one to blame but myself. Food is a mind altering substance I am sure. Why else would we be so overweight as a Nation? Nothing pleased me more than to go into a restaurant and order truckloads of food, or to go through the drive through window, and order enough food for 2 or 3 people, and know I could secretly eat it in the privacy of my own vehicle. Who was I kidding? Only myself. Who was I cheating? Only myself.

Now things are different, it’s odd how weight loss transforms your thinking into a different perspective. EVERYTHING I consume now I think about to a tee. I was never burdened with diabetes, nor was I ever even thinking about it, or the possibility, but I can bet, I was a good candidate. Thank God I was never diagnosed with Diabetes.

For the first time in my adult life I actually care about what I look like. The comments never get old. I want each of you to have these feelings. As you lose weight, you realize, hey MEDIFAST does work, something is happening here. You want to continue your progress. It’s not like the other diets you all have tried and failed at, you lose 10 pounds, and gain it back. This program is different, you lose, and you lose, and you lose, and some transformation happens, you actually want to keep it off.

6 months after my loss I live and die by the scale. Every evening before bed, and every morning (after cleaning out the belly button lint) step on the scale. I know almost within ½ pound what I will weigh. When was the last time you could predict this? Never for me. If I prepare for a “binge day” which I do on occasion, I know the scale will inflate itself, but I also know it is a temporary gain, that will come off, if only I am careful. There it goes, I was careful and it is off. My goal weight was 222 (don’t ask me why) I average 223.4 (yes point 4) this morning I was at 224.2 and it’s been roughly 6 months since I lost the weight. I am not even trying to maintain this weight, it is just happening.

As Nancy says, just like on Medifast, you need to eat regularly, and frequently. Well I do. I eat on and off all day, if I want a snack I eat, when I feel hunger I eat. I am NEVER starving. I eat when I am hungry, and I have learned the invaluable lesson, a content feeling is good. There is no reason anymore to eat until I am so gorged I can’t stand up. Just give it 10 minutes, and that content feeling settles in, and you feel fine. (Even Medifast gives you a content feeling) WOW, what a lesson I learned. How come I could not learn this 20 years ago?

It will always be a semi battle for me. I will be on a diet for the rest of my life. This is ok. If this is what I get to look forward to, it’s fine, because it’s not hard. I still have the occasional cravings for something that caused me to gain weight, but my life has changed for the better. These cravings go away, I can easily say no now, and I am a better person for it, not just from a weight perspective, but from a decision I can actually control. I worked H-A-R-D for this, and I will NOT jeopardize my success just to satisfy a 10 second craving. It’s only been 6 months for me since losing the weight; it might be harder later, but for now, I like it.

You need these feelings, you need to experience this euphoria, and with this “self-help” forum you can experience it. This board is free to those that want it. Listen to those that have made progress, those that have lost the weight. We are NO different than you; we experience, or have experienced the EXACT same things and pains as you have. Jolts and wake up calls as Nancy said are sometimes what we need. I only wish I had discovered this board, and Medifast years ago. Past is past, and the future is here NOW. Today is the day, today is YOUR day.

Get the weight off NOW, not later, I promise you from my heart, it’s all worth it!!

-Mike
Was 337/223 is goal (about 40 to go)
explorthis
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby TypingTrish » June 5th, 2004, 5:50 pm

Wow Mike! Once again some great motivational reading! Thank you for all the time you devote to helping all of us on this weight loss journey we are on! You are definitely an inspiration to MOI! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!! :hug:

:puter: Trish
TypingTrish
Regular Member - #20 Club

Postby Lois » June 6th, 2004, 12:13 pm

Hi Mike,

What a great post....thank you! It helps me to imagine how I'll feel when I lose the weight and can say that it was all worth it!

I have a question...are there any foods that you avoid all together, or do you allow yourself anything, but in moderation?

thanks!

Lois
Lois
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby explorthis » June 6th, 2004, 12:53 pm

I have a question...are there any foods that you avoid all together, or do you allow yourself anything, but in moderation?

Yes, I avoid almost anything w/Sugar in it! Sugars are carb’s and this is my main avoidance. I am not sure I ever taught myself to eat properly after Medifast, but whatever I am doing is working, and I am not missing anything.

I steer clear of any drive through, i.e. anything with a burger, fry, burrito etc. This was my down fall before, not knowing when to say no, and to alleviate any opportunity, I just say no.

I still go to Mc’d’s, and Wendy’s, but when I go, I am getting the salad. I don’t do this too often, knowing the $3-5 I spend on a salad, I can make twice as big, and twice as tasty for about $.50 cents. Must be that buyer thing I do for a living. Funny, now a $20.00 bill in my pocket seems to be there a lot longer than before.

It has become easy. Additionally since I do the grocery shopping for the family, it’s easy for me to buy what I want, and the family eats only what I buy. Call me the Dictator! Amazing thing, the family actually eats what I buy, and I rarely hear a complaint about missing chip’s, or cookies, though I still buy them sparingly, I do still have kids!

Don’t get me wrong; I do eat what I want, within reason now.

Someone, I can’t remember where told me (or I read it) the longer you avoid sugar, the less you crave it. Well maintaining for almost 6 months, I have no drive for sugar, probably more mental than physical. I know mass quantities of sugar got me here in the first place.

I go to parties, and I enjoy Valentines w/ my kids. I have a sliver, and I mean sliver of cake, I avoid the ice cream, though it helps having a toddler, I can load my plate up, though everyone knows I steer clear, but it’s easy to sit and feed her, and take a nibble here, and a nibble there. I developed a whole love for fruit and veggies. Never did fruit before, but knowing now an apple and an orange will satisfy my craving, the same as a Big-Mac, works for me. Think about it, 10 minutes after you have eaten that Mac, your stomach is full right? Same is true, apple, and orange, and 2 carrots dipped in ranch (just finished this trio 5 minutes ago – commercial on Nascar at this minute) has satisfied me.

Best part is, I know I added NOTHING to my waistline, where as that Mac would have done damage.

The loss is both mental, and physical. Physically, I feel better than I ever in my life (I PROMISE) and mentally, I will not allow myself damage like I did before PERIOD. I worked too hard for this, and never again will I allow myself a regression.

I went to the DeLahoya fight at a friend’s house last night. I planned on eating the buffet, and planned on having a few (4 beers), which I did, with no guilt. I prepared 2 days prior. As does Nancy, I still have Medifast in my reach, I carry it everywhere I go, and prepare for these days accordingly.

Do I eat what I want? Yes.

Do I avoid foods? Yes.

I do WHAT I WANT, and I feel no guilt.

Do I feel deprived? No.

Am I missing anything? Yes – about 13-14" off of my waist!

-Mike
Was 337/223 is goal (about 40 to go)
explorthis

Postby Lois » June 6th, 2004, 5:39 pm

Mike,

Thanks for such an honest, thoughtful, detailed response! You are SUCH a valuable resource and inspiration to me, and to all of us here on the BB.

I really, REALLY appreciated your reply, and I know I'll be reading it again and again!

blessings,

Lois
Lois
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Return to Weight Loss