Introduction

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

Introduction

Postby SetMeFree » May 11th, 2005, 12:28 pm

Hello. My name is Dana and I will be starting Medifast on Monday the 16th. I ordered my products yesterday and spoke with my health advisor, Bonnie who was really encouraging for me. I have my "story" which I won't bore anyone with as it is not much different from so many others. My current weight is 235 and I am 5'9". My goal is to lose 85 lbs. and it would truly be a blessing if I lost more than that. I know it is up to me. Any words of wisdom for the first few days? Any warnings about products that are revolting? YIKES! I am kinda feeling a scared -- you might say I am cautiously optimistic :roll:
Dana in Colorado
Height: 5'9"
Start Date: 02/21/06
Start Weight: 241.0
Current Weight:
Goal Weight: 150.0
Dream Weight: 135.0
SetMeFree

Postby DonicaB » May 11th, 2005, 12:51 pm

Hi Dana~~go ahead and tell your story. Sure we have similarities but I like to get to know the people I will be sharing this journey with.

What are you scared of exactly? The products? The plan? The people on this board? :twisted: (We can be a little scary I know :grin: )

Anything you need, Dana, you just ask. We are here for you and each other. We are just one big bunch of LOSERS.

DonicaB
DonicaB
Preferred member

Postby SetMeFree » May 11th, 2005, 1:32 pm

Nice to meet you, Donica. Okay, I will share my story but don't say I didn't warn you!

As to why I am afraid. Well, I am afraid of failure, afraid of Medifast not working for me, afraid that my willpower will not sustain me for the duration, and afraid that the products might taste yucky. Any ringing endorsements for particular items would be incredibly welcome.

I am not unusual with my struggles in weigh loss; however, it has not been a life long problem for me. Around mid-1999 I started putting on weight for no apparent reason and before I knew it -- over the course of 12 months, I put on a staggering 80+ lbs. I should emphasize that I have never changed my eating habits or exercise routine except the occasional low carb attempts and exercising a lot. I went to many medical doctors, endocrinologists, etc. with my delimma only to be constantly humilitated and insulted at their explanations. That stated here was no medical reason for my weight gain that I must be leaving food I consumed off of my food diaries. I have to ask why they think I would do that -- I was seeking their help -- why would I lie to myself and them on a food diary. Anyhow, I digress.

As mentioned, I have tried diets and pills (like metabolife) and nothing ever works. Even on Atkins, I was very disciplined about staying in Induction for an entire 3 mos. and even if I ate a LC tortilla around my egg it would throw me out of keytosis. Anyhow, bygones!

What I do know is that I used to be a very social person that was very outgoing. I am now a recluse. I turn down invitations to social events and other Christmas parties and birthday parties, etc. because I am ashamed of how I look. I live in a very healthy part of the country where overweight people are considered sub-human. I manage operations for a college in the alternative healing industry and everyone I work with and out students are all very healthy.

My husband took on a new job last fall and I did attend either the Company picnic or the Christmas party because I did not want my husband's peers nor subordinates to judge him based on his overweight wife.

Which brings me back to why I am here. I am extremely unhappy with myself and quite digusted at the reflection in the mirror. My husband is forbidden from entering the bathroom when I am entering or exiting the shower or seeing me change clothes. If he actually saw me naked he would have that image burned in his brain forever.

Thankfully, I have the most fab husband in the entire world! We met 7 years ago, married 2 years ago. He has supported me, gone to doctor appointments with me to vouch for my "weight gain for no reason", has encouraged me, and loved me unconditionally. Most would have not stayed with a woman for gaining so much weight. Ironically, my husband, Ed, runs a manufacturing plant that produces manequins for most of the stores in your local mall including Victoria's Secret. He works around the "perfect" woman all day!

I do believe I have rambled on a bit too long. I just wanna be a BIG LOSER too. I look so forward to getting to know others sharing this journey with me.

How long have you been on Medifast? Any words of wisdom?
Dana in Colorado
Height: 5'9"
Start Date: 02/21/06
Start Weight: 241.0
Current Weight:
Goal Weight: 150.0
Dream Weight: 135.0
SetMeFree

Postby 24KaratGold » May 11th, 2005, 1:46 pm

Hi Dana, and welcome to the forum!

I so totally understand your feelings. If you read my posts on the second page of this thread, made back in January, you will see that I shared many of your feelings when I started on Medifast, particularly the bit about whether or not it would work for me.

Here I am, four months later, to say that it did work, it does work, and it is working. Since January 3, when I started, I have lost nearly 60 pounds, and I am still losing. And I took a week off from the program in mid-April when I went to Hawaii, ate pretty much what I wanted (though not in humongous amounts), and went back on MF as soon as I got home. I have gone from a size 24W to a size 16W, and I have been able to go kayaking and hiking for miles, since I'm not carrying quite so much excess weight around. I had about 105 pounds to lose; now I have about 47. My head hasn't completely caught up with my body about all this yet, but I'm loving every minute of it.

My best friend has lost over 100 pounds since Labor Day on this. She's the one who got me started.

You can do this. You can do it for a minute, then for an hour, then for a day, then for a week, then for a month. Don't think about it being a month, just look in the mirror in the morning and tell yourself that you are healthier today than you were yesterday, and not as healthy as you will be tomorrow. And memorize Nancy's famous mantra: "Nothing tastes as good as thin feels!" And Mike's "Just get it done."

And it works. It's a pain in the patooie for the first three days (bouillion is your friend, and so is Motrin or something similar), and after that it gets easier. It really does. The support here is awesome as well, and to my mind is a key component of my own success.

Oh, and most of the products are fine. It is my humble opinion that the Tropical Punch and the Chai Latte are indeed "yucky," but most of the rest are fine. They aren't gourmet quality, but quite palatable, and there are things you can do to improve them. Go browse the Lean Cuisine section for idea. Making oatmeal cookies out of the oatmeal has saved me from going off program more than once. So have the pickles -- I don't like dill pickles, but Mt. Olive makes a sweet gherkin with Splenda that I eat instead (trying to stay at the same number of calories/carbs as a dill would) -- sometimes I've just needed something sweet, or something crunchy, and they've kept me on track. Also, I do the 5 and 1, so I get the chance to eat something I like (I had king crab for my birthday last week, and I've eaten a ton of salmon and chicken and shrimp. Beef too, although I'm more leery of that because it isn't as lean as the other).

You can do this. It does work. You'll love it.
270/186.5/160

24KaratGold
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby Mommy2girls » May 11th, 2005, 2:30 pm

Hi Dana,

You definitely have come to the right place and found the right product if you want to lose weight!!! I am proof that Medifast works to lose weight (while I'm not proof that it stays off...but that is my failure...not MF). Anyway, I'm on my 2nd time of Medifast. The first time I did MF, was in 1998 and I did full fast thru a drs. office, and lost 85lbs. It was truly incredible. I gained about 20 back the following year (1999) then in early 2000 got pregnant with my first daughter, had a second daughter 19 months after the first and found myself right back at the start of my journey. Except for having 2 beautiful girls to show for my weight gain, I was definitely unhappy.

I'm thrilled to have found MF again, and of course, part of me is afraid of failure AGAIN, but I also know that I can buy these products anytime I stray, after I get to goal. And I'm not planning on any more children, so this time I want to be in more control when I reach my goal.

You have nothing to be ashamed of, and I'm sorry that so called "experts" have humiliated you and broken your spirit. You have allowed them to do that. DON'T let anyone tell you who you are NO MATTER WHAT YOU WEIGH. Life is too short to be miserable.

Take the first baby steps, jump in and come here often, it has helped me and I'm still learning!!!

Glad you found us and keep coming back! Welcome!
Sheila

Week 4 (MF 5&1) = –16lbs (YAY!)
Mommy2girls
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby dlr2424 » May 11th, 2005, 3:28 pm

SetMeFree..........I love the name... :yeah: .......and MF will do just that....if you allow it to...... :bouncie: ......it will set you free of excess weight....... :yay: .......Thank you for sharing your story and I can relate to your frustration and disappointment in the medical field........ :hug: ........maybe your once high speed high efficeint metabolisim....... :redprowl: ...... deceided it would go into semi-coma mode...... :huh: ......whatever the reason......I feel your pain...... :( .....I pray MF will be your answer and that you enjoy this journey.........for me........this forum is KEY.............and as far as the products go...........honestly... I haven't found ONE yet that I haven't just loved..........24K was right in saying they were not gourmet..........but they are exceptional if you ask me................
donna...dlr2424

There's nothing to great that God won't provide me the strength to endure...all I need to do is ask Him
dlr2424
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby DonicaB » May 11th, 2005, 6:09 pm

Dana~~as I read your story I just wanted to jump through the computer and give you a great big hug. :hugblue: Thank you for sharing it though, I could tell that was difficult for you. But you know what? .........you have just taken the first steps to success. As you can tell by the success on this board, this plan works.

Dana, you can do this girl. Your willpower will sustain you. When you begin to feel weak, come here and post or read or do whatever it takes to get pumped up. You will find that many of us come here several times a day. For me, I must come here and sometimes all I do is read old posts. I want to be a LOSER, Dana.........and you can be one too.

It sounds like your DH is wonderful. I am fortunate also to have a very loving and supportive DH. I'm sure your DH is very proud of you.

This is my 6th week on MF. I have lost 20# and boy does it feel good. I can't wait to watch your journey and to celebrate your successes with you. I will be watching you, Dana, becaue you have intrigued me with your story and I want to see you succeed.

DonicaB
DonicaB
Preferred member

Return to Come on in.