Help! I am 5 days in and I am losing faith!

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

Help! I am 5 days in and I am losing faith!

Postby Danielle » March 23rd, 2004, 11:07 am

Hi all...I've lurked on this board for about 4 days now and the thingie wasn't letting me register....erg...the internet is so fickle. Anyways...I had the worst time today...I woke up at 4am with HIVES! I've never had hives before so I was flipping out! Took 2 Benadryl and tried to go back to sleep. Anyways, what seems to be my BIGGEST problem is the fact that I can't make myself drink the shakes. I just can't. Yes I know I need to drink them but I feel like vomiting every time I taste them. What am I to do? Does that mean Medi-fast is not for me?? HELP ME PLEASE!
---Danielle---
Danielle

Postby Landylue » March 23rd, 2004, 11:17 am

For goodness sakes, Danielle, what does your doctor say? If you aren't drinking the Medifast, what are you eating?

Landylue
Failure is NOT an option!
Landylue
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Jeanette » March 23rd, 2004, 11:18 am

Danielle:

First of all, calm down! Now, let's look at this logically.

What is it about the shakes that makes you not want to drink them? Is it the fact that this replaces food? Is it the taste? Once you identify it, then we can help you with it.

RE the hives: Are they a result of stress from not being able to do the program? Have you called your doctor about it?

More information would be helpful.
Jeanette :star:
(340) 325/300/180
"Discipline is simply choosing between what you want now and what you want the most."--Unknown
PROGRESS, not PERFECTION
Jeanette
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Update

Postby CoconutsInAutumnBabe » March 23rd, 2004, 1:21 pm

Well...my doctor's office didn't reopen until 1:15...they close down for an hour so they can chow down LOL...I told him what I was experiencing...and he said I should just get off Medifast :( I really wanted to lose weight this way, but I guess it's not for everyone.
BTW...I wasn't eating much! The smell, taste, and even the THOUGHT of having to drink one of those shakes was making me nauseated...and I honestly don't know why! I thought it'd be real easy for me, seeing how I love pudding and shakes...but I guess I'll have to get rid of my lard another way LOL...Surgery is not an option because I think it's too risky both physically and emotionally.
I guess maybe I shouldn't have posted, but y'all are so supportive and yeah...I wanted some feedback :(
CoconutsInAutumnBabe
First Post

Postby Carrie » March 23rd, 2004, 1:27 pm

Danielle,
Did your Dr. advise this over the phone? It doesn't sound like he spent any time at all reviewing your situation and/or the MF plan. Maybe you should find a Doc that will at least give your situation a comprehensive review.

I'm not sure why the shakes bother you so much. Have you tried mixing them ahead of time ..... they're smoother that way.... or mixing them with some ice in a blender? Sure, not all of us like all of the flavors, but nobody has seemed to be as averse to them as you are.

Maybe you shouldn't give up just yet.

Carrie
Now: 2/5/07: 233.6/220.0/145
1st time: 3/1/04, from 266.5 to 195.4
Carrie
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Landylue » March 23rd, 2004, 2:00 pm

How were you preparing them, Danielle? Which product were you trying? Are you allergic to soy by any chance. If so, maybe another brand sans the soy would do you just fine.

I agree with Carrie. Go in and talk to another doctor face to face, and let us know what they say.

We don't want you to go away!

Landylue
Failure is NOT an option!
Landylue
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Diffferent version of Medifast

Postby tformby » March 24th, 2004, 9:34 am

I just thought I would put in my two cents. I am actually doing Medifast through a Bariatrics office here in Birmingham, Alabama and they have other options for food than the shakes. He has Medifast shakes and then other foods (bars, soups and pastas) that he has chosen for nutritional content. The doctor was awesome and they have a pharmacist (and nurses, etc) on staff in case you need help or have questions. They also do bloodwork and an EKG just to make sure that everything is ok before you start. This might be a better option for you.

I wouldn't give up yet although I am sure that it's very frustrating. Just do a little more investigation and I'm sure that you will find something that works for you. I would hate to see you use this as a good excuse not to get started toward your goal.
tformby

Postby Jims Chick » March 24th, 2004, 11:27 am

...man I'd die to get my hands on some Medifast pasta. Does it really exist? :shock:
"I can do all things through Christ"

Start Date: January 10, 2004
243.5 / 218 / 140
25.5 pounds gone forever
Jims Chick
Regular Member - #20 Club

pasta

Postby tformby » March 24th, 2004, 12:18 pm

It is actually really good too. It has the same protein and carbs (well, a little more carbs) that the shake has and it averages about 150-220 calories. They have fettucini alfredo, mac and cheese and spaghetti bolognese and they all taste good. Especially if you mix the mac and cheese with the chili.....

One caution though. If you are on the shake only diet, you might be losing more weight because your body is in ketosis and I'm not sure if this would mess that up or not (although I've stayed in mild ketosis and I have one pasta a day). If you're doing just low cal then I know it works. If you want me to look on the box and let you know the exact nutrition, I can. :)

The Birmingham Bariatrics website is <snip>no urls please - mr. snippy</snip> and you can order the food online.....hope this helps!!

<comment>if you'd like to log in as a member Tonya, users can sticky you for the web address - Unca_Tim</comment>

Tonya
tformby

Postby Starloser63 » March 24th, 2004, 1:28 pm

That is not Medifast products.
Through Christ all things all possible.
Susan F
246/216/150
3/23/04 2nd x
First Goal 199
Starloser63
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby Jeanette » March 25th, 2004, 8:59 am

Tonya: ARe you sure that it is Medifast? I don't think they have any pasta products at all.

Regardless, welcome!
Jeanette :star:
(340) 325/300/180
"Discipline is simply choosing between what you want now and what you want the most."--Unknown
PROGRESS, not PERFECTION
Jeanette
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby Jims Chick » March 25th, 2004, 9:19 am

...see I got my hopes up too quick. I would imagine if it was a Medifast product...I would already be buyin' it...wouldn't I.....duh

:goofy: Julie
"I can do all things through Christ"

Start Date: January 10, 2004
243.5 / 218 / 140
25.5 pounds gone forever
Jims Chick
Regular Member - #20 Club

oops

Postby tformby » March 29th, 2004, 12:34 pm

So, I guess that you guys are right and the doctor that I am using uses a
"mix" of Medifast products and others that he recommends. Sorry to get your hopes up though! :oops:

Regardless, I have really enjoyed reading your posts and they really do help. You guys are a great support group and should feel very lucky to have each other!
tformby

Postby Starloser63 » March 29th, 2004, 2:28 pm

It is a great group and you can keep reading and posting. You don't have to be complete Medifast I don't think. As long as your doc is taking care of you go for what works.

Post often we need lots of people for support and to support.

Hugs,
Susan
Through Christ all things all possible.
Susan F
246/216/150
3/23/04 2nd x
First Goal 199
Starloser63
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby shineface » March 29th, 2004, 4:38 pm

Hi All!!!

Just catching up on posts and got my heart a-fluttering when I saw the word pasta ------ I knew it could not be or I'd already know about it!!!!

But that's ok - actually this just shows me that I need to continue on changing my way of thinking about food!!!!! I will re-gain if I don't re-train my mind!!! I am not willing to do this again - this is my last weight loss effort and I will find balance (basically a concept to me at this point - never been big on balance - just BIG...lol)

I am OK today - we are OK today - life is good and we are witness to success and care here at the Forum ---- I guess right now that's all the balance I need in my life!!!! One foot in front of the other - doing it everyday - FOR ME!!!! Thanks for the help!

WE WILL do this together!!! :stroll:
Pam -"I AM the ME in MEdifast"
Start = 1/24/04 70 down 60 up
5/1/05=279.6
You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf. - Unknown
shineface
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Return to Come on in.