Having trouble

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

Having trouble

Postby Amy Lynne » May 22nd, 2006, 12:21 pm

How do I stay focused and not cheat? I am having a real hard time in week 3. I need some inspiration.

All me neighbors have a drink or three on the weekends. I am filling up on so much water.

I just placed an order. I hope having the soy chips will help when I want more than the celery with salt.
:x[quote][/quote]
Amy Lynne

Postby VTGirlie » May 22nd, 2006, 12:30 pm

Hey there! Social situations are so hard, huh? I'm sorry about that! The only way I know that works for me is to keep my eye on the goal. The right snacks do help, but it is so hard to be in a group of people doing one thing when you can't (or won't!) join in.

But think about how great you're going to look and feel when you go out with them after the weight is gone and THEY all can't eat because they want to look like YOU! :)
:mrgreen:
Bets
Bets
235/204MFStart/182/135
"Nothing is as good as this day"
VTGirlie
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Hi

Postby dede4wd » May 22nd, 2006, 1:18 pm

I have to try really hard NOT to avoid social situations because of the plan. I sit with the drinkers with my Diet Coke on the rocks so I don't miss out on the fun.

As for the hunger...I do something else until it goes away...for me cravings only last 10 minutes or so, so if I can keep myself busy for that amout of time, I usually get through it!

I hope the soy crisps help you! For me, they made me get the cravings, but I'm not used to snacking...

Stick with it, visualize your goal and WHY you're doing this, think about how far you've come already and KNOW you're going to get through this!

DeDe
dede4wd
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Bonnie » May 22nd, 2006, 1:27 pm

Social settings are hard but you can be successful by bringing a diet pop and the soy snacks with you. I love the soy snacks!!

I have discovered that if I have a medifast shake before I go to social functions I do better. I try to focus on the people and forget about the food.

If you keep your focus on your goal and don't give into eating off the plan you will reap the reward of looking and feeling better. Remember what Nancy says "Nothing tastes as good as thin feels".
I lost 50lbs Through Take Shape for Life

Bonnie Wills
Bonnie
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Jan » May 22nd, 2006, 2:21 pm

Hi there,
I agree with DeDe and Bonnie. Just order if you're out or bring something along to a friends that you can drink. Diet soda is fine. I love iced tea so I order that quite frequently. Really the whole idea of a social situation is to visit and spend time with each other. Just listen and visit and you'll be fine. :D
jan
Jan
Preferred member

Postby DogMa » May 22nd, 2006, 2:37 pm

I also try to wear tighter clothes to gatherings like that. It's a nice reminder, plus I know that eating anything extra is going to make me pretty uncomfortable.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Nancy » May 22nd, 2006, 4:12 pm

I keep my hands busy by holding on to the cup of tea, the glass of water, diet pop, iced tea, etc. I also hold onto my Hunny's hand. ;)

If there is a snack tray or basket on the table, I sit away from it so it is not in my direct line of sight or within sniffing and whiffing distance if it is especially nose-worthy. Who wants to have a plate of cheesy nacho sniffs enticing them? When it looks like the snacks are going to be passed around the table or people are going to order an appetizer, I leap up and take a trip to the sandbox and avoid it.

When the desire to dine is great, get up, dance, make a music selection, go outside for a whiff of fresh air, ask someone to tell you about their pet, their vacation, etc. to distract you.

re: tighter clothing...

Yep, cinch the belt! It reminds me how uncomfy it will be if I overeat and outgrow my pants...

My personal experience is that once I begin to snack - even if it is celery, a pickle, etc., I want more, and then a teensy bit more...one pickle can easily become four for me so to avoid stimulating my former habits of continuous snackage, I just endeavor to eliminate snacking in between meals.
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Re: Having trouble

Postby Diana » May 22nd, 2006, 10:58 pm

Amy Lynne wrote:How do I stay focused and not cheat?

Nice to meet you, Amy Lynne. Join us! Join us! Register! :mrgreen:

It's all a matter of the mind and resulting behaviors. It takes a plan, practice, sometimes sheer determination and, on occassion, a friendly intervention or two. Basically, how badly do you want what you're headed for?

I usually save one of my very favorite meal replacements for when I get home AFTER the event. And I often take a muchy one (baked oatmeal cookies, a bar, and perhaps MF crackers or now soy crisps) with me depending on the length of the celebrating.

Like Nancy, I try to keep my hands busy (usually a water bottle and a napkin will do), and, yes, look for or start meaty, juicy conversations.

Here's to our mutual success! :buddies:
Diana
Here's to our mutual success! :buddies: --Diana
Diana
Preferred Member - #120 Club
Preferred Member - #120 Club

Return to Come on in.