I have a sensitive question...

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

I have a sensitive question...

Postby Guest » December 10th, 2006, 12:36 pm

Hello everyone! I hope you don't mind me asking this question, but it is about something I am very concerned about. I am 25 and need to lose 100 pounds. I am just about ready to order Medifast. I am concerned that after I have lost all my weight I will have loose, sagging skin.

Do you think this is something I should be concerned about with Medifast? Is there anything that can be done while losing weight that can help prevent sagging skin?

I really appreciate any feedback that you can give. Thank you so much!

Postby DogMa » December 10th, 2006, 1:24 pm

Welcome. Sagging skin has been a problem for some people here; it can happen on any weight-loss program. You're young, though, which should work in your favor.

And I think if you ask anyone here, they'd prefer to be thin and healthy and have some extra skin than to be 100 pounds overweight.

Good luck to you.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Hi

Postby dede4wd » December 10th, 2006, 1:35 pm

Hi Guest,
I've lost 80ish lbs so far. I'm 35. My skin is not sagging...it's bouncing back really well (better than I expected). I DO use body firming lotion DAILY, but so far it hasn't been a problem for me personally. I do have 35lbs left to loose, so I'm not sure what the final result will be, but I personally am happy so far!

DeDe
dede4wd
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby alpha femme » December 10th, 2006, 1:37 pm

at 25, and only 100# overweight, you should do fine.
really, though, the choice is still a clear one, isn't it?
alpha femme
Preferred member

Postby Jan » December 10th, 2006, 4:38 pm

Hi There,
The ole sagging skin question hmmmm. :D Well first of all know that our skin issues are largely genetic. Some of us have "bouncy skin" and some us just don't. Some of us have naturally dry skin with little stretch and some of us have stretchy skin... Remember "stretcy skin" stretches both ways .. out and back again. But as someone above stated age is in your favor. Tht's a major plus for you. :D Part with pounds now ... it doesn't get easier as you get older .. and your skin generally reacts better when you are young. Remember too that this is a muscle sparing program so if you follow it exactly ( the best way of course :D ) you won't be burning muscle tissue. Lots of times what we interpret as "sagging skin" is really a loss of muscle. If we burn our muscle and have little muscle to keep things nice and firm ..we look saggy... A little firming exercise after week three may help too. Plus remember it sometimes takes a whole year after weight loss for your skin to catch up. ( Actually that's generally true) But remember you will look much much better and be much much healthier minus that extra 100 poujnds no matter what. :mrgreen:

jan
Jan
Preferred member

Postby Lucy » December 10th, 2006, 5:31 pm

I have been looking on the internet ALOT about that very thing, from all I read the most important thing is WATER, so as you do the program ALWAYS ALWAYS get your water in. I will try to find the one article from webmd (I think) that summed it up nicely. I have a girlfriend down 128 lbs with Medifast I may add, she is bikini tone. OH this forum will help you of that I am sure..USE IT!

Good Luck
Discipline is the art of choosing between what you want now, and what you want the most.
Lucy
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby bikipatra » December 10th, 2006, 8:41 pm

alpha femme wrote:at 25, and only 100# overweight, you should do fine.
really, though, the choice is still a clear one, isn't it?

uh, yeah.

And also someone mentioned skin fiirming lotion. What brand(s) do you kids use???
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Me?

Postby dede4wd » December 10th, 2006, 8:49 pm

Me personally?

Hold on, let me go get the bottle....

It's by Oil of Olay...
it's calledy Olay Body
Firming reviver body lotion
13.5oz, purple bottle.

I get it at Walgreens.

I also use Philosophy Amazing Grace firming body emulsion when I'm layering scents because Amazing grace is the perfume I use...

DeDe
dede4wd

Postby bikipatra » December 10th, 2006, 8:54 pm

Thanks! I will add it to my CVS list! I can always use a little firming too. I use lots of lotion and creams , especially in the wintertime. I have very dry skin. Maybe it will improve with all my water intake. My mother said her itchy dry skin improved with daily hyaluronic acid supplements. My stomach couldn't tolerate the pill though. And you would think my stomach could take anything...
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra

Postby Guest » December 11th, 2006, 1:25 am

Hmmm - sagging skin. Have you had any children? That may give you an idea of elasticity for you personally. My belly hung weighing only 145 after my first kid. I weighed 220 after my twins and at 5 foot 1 - it hung much lower! Uhm then the ten pounder - I weighed 250 or so after her and hung even more! The reason for me is I have horrible elasticity. each time I had a baby the upper tummy that was not hanging - got stretched. Oh horrible cycle. I have a 17 year old sis. She is 5 foot 3 and was about 220lbs at one time. She has large chest arms and legs and a small tummy. Her arms have stretch marks and sag like an old lady Im not kidding. Her arms & legs are bigger & saggier then me and Im up there in weght and only five foot one. I think if you have any idea how elastic you are lol that will help you to know. I do guarantee that if you lost 100lbs and had saggy skin, you would not take the weight (filler) back to have firm skin again! Good Luck with ur decision!

Postby JuliaMejia » December 11th, 2006, 1:27 am

That above comment was me - how did I get logged out!! :roll:
May 1st 2006...Highest Weight 265...

Started Medifast December 8th, 06 Weight = 236.8 :(

JuliaMejia
Trusted Member - #10 Club

Postby Mike » December 11th, 2006, 9:52 am

Felt the need to chime in. I have been VERY overweight... over 200 lbs for a long time and I knew that I would have saggy skin. However, in my experience, alot of the sagginess comes from how much extra you have been carrying and for how long.
My brother lost over 100 lbs and really had no problem with it being "reabsorbed". A friend of mine has lost about 130 and he seems to be doing okay. These two examples are folks that are 35 and under and carried the weight for less than 10 years.
I am 37 and had increased my weight from childhood, so I know it will probably require surgery for me.
I would say for you, at 25, with just around 100 lbs to lose, depending on how long you have carried that weight is a major factor, but given that you are younger, there is a much better chance for the elasticity of the skin to take it back in.
Just remember to exercise, and do a some weight training to help it along.

:mrgreen:
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike

Postby Ct. Yankee » December 11th, 2006, 2:23 pm

Hi kids, and I mean kids! I am older than most of you on this forum. I will not go as far as saying I am ancient, but the archeologists are just waiting in line!!! :roll:

I have lost over 50lbs to date, and yes, I have sagging skin--especially, my thighs, that, I proudly wear as 'my personal badge of honor'. I have been overweight most of my life. I, too, am hoping that some of the loose skin will get firmer in, say, a year. But, if it doesn't, like so many have already mentioned--small price to pay for better health and looking like one has self-control and doing what they can to improve themselves, in so many other ways, than with the paramount worries of loose skin.

I do understand your concern, in trying to look the best you can after your weight loss--all I can say is that, you WILL with proper exercise and eating right for the rest of your life. And, youth is on your side! ;) I am a believer that most loose skin will shrink back somewhat, as the body gets used to the fact that it is not going to be 'fed' more fat to fill it back out. And, there are some fortunate ones, who will never have a loose skin problem. Mike is so right, when he mentions the length of time one has been overweight, for I totally agree. Also, age is a biggie, too. :(

With necessary weight loss, the good outweighs the bad, and look how long it took me to figure this out. Don't be like me--start early while you are all young. Good luck to everyone in their individual goals. God bless! :) :) :)

PS: DeDe, isn't Amazing Grace just wonderful! Thanks for the heads up on the Olay firming cream, as I am using another one, and yours sounds better! Hugs to all
Joan
Ct. Yankee

Hi

Postby dede4wd » December 11th, 2006, 9:33 pm

Joan,

I LOVED your post! Anything left sagging after my weight loss is complete, I will wear proudly as a badge of honor! Yes, I LOVE amazing Grace and their firming body emulsion is AWESOME! I just can't afford to use it eighty times a day!

DeDe
dede4wd

Return to Come on in.