Gross Chunks...Help!

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

Gross Chunks...Help!

Postby ScottsMom » March 14th, 2006, 7:20 pm

Hey, Ya'll.
I am having a horrible problem with my hot drinks... cappuccino, chai latte, and hot cocoa. I am getting these horrible chunks that won't stir away. My theory is that maybe my water or coffee for mixing is too hot and I am cooking the soy protein. Is anyone else experiencing this? It really makes me want to hurl! I can't stand that texture! Thanks!!!
Lora :mrgreen:
Restart on 1/5/2009-- baby weight again.
ScottsMom
Regular Member - #20 Club

Postby LovenElvis » March 14th, 2006, 7:47 pm

I have found, at least with Hot Chocolate, that I put my water and mix into the shaker, shake it up and the pour into a mug. I then put it in the microwave and warm it up.

No lumps ;) You even get a little foam on top YUM!

Laura
LovenElvis
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby aphrael » March 14th, 2006, 7:54 pm

You are not alone with the yuck chunks...

I use one of the little pampered chef mini whisks for the hot coco and it works preaty well.

For most hot drinks try mixing it with room temp water first preferably a wisk of some sort and than heat at a low or med temp in the micro box.

hope that helps.
Aphrael

Due Nov. 16th
aphrael

Postby BerkshireGrl » March 14th, 2006, 8:01 pm

Hiya!

For my hot drinks, I heat up a cup of water in the microwave to very hot but not boiling - in my microwave which is pretty large, that's 1:30.

Then I take it out, pour 1/2 in the mug, add the mix, and whisk with a collapsable small whisk I have that looks like a metal spiral at the end.

This lets me squish out any clumps that get stuck in the whisk ;) Then I add in the rest of the water, mix a bit more, let cool about 30 seconds and foam up... and...

:toast: ENJOY! :toast:

p.s. Chunk alert! I once made the mistake of using the hot water tap from the office water cooler to mix up my oatmeal and nuked it - UGH!!! I forced it down because it was my breakfast but the texture! Hurl-ness! :lol:
BerkshireGrl
Preferred member

Postby JustLynda » March 15th, 2006, 5:56 am

Yep--I think the whisk is the key. I usually fill a cup with hot (not boiling) water and add about 1/4-1/3 packet at a time while stirring with a small whisk. It takes a little longer, but no lumps.

Hope this helps.

-Lynda
Start Date: February 18, 2006
JustLynda
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby Crystal » March 15th, 2006, 9:16 am

I know the feeling! I heat my water for 1.5 minutes in a measuring cup. I pour the mix into my mug, then add just enough hot water to make a very thick paste. I stir wih a spoon or fork until very well mixed, then I can the rest of the water with no fear of clumps. Hope you find something that works for you!
Crystal
Crystal

Postby THINKTHIN » March 15th, 2006, 10:19 am

Like the rest of you.... I use my stove to heat up the water. If I boil it by mistake, i take it off the burner for a few seconds until the water is not boiling, and then I add my mix to that pan and whisk away...

I do it the same with my soups but after I am done stirring, I throw a plate ontop of my pan for a couple of minutes. Seems to help!

Happy Losing,
~Tiesha
THINKTHIN
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby Drama Queen » March 15th, 2006, 11:40 am

For lump free hot drinks I do the following:

Shake 8 oz. of cold tap water with my hot beverage of choice in a Blender Bottle until there are no lumps. Pour into a VERY large (I use a 2 qt. Pyrex measuring cup/bowl) and nuke in the Microwave for 2 minutes. Pour into a large mug and yummy!! Lump free Hot Cocoa/Cappuccino/Chai Latte.

The hot drinks have a tendancy to boil over in the microwave so be sure to nuke in an overly large container!!
Start Date 1/22/06
Age 53 / Height 5'9"

Drama Queen
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby Lauren » March 15th, 2006, 11:44 am

Oh god, I know I am gonna get flack for this, but I have to confess something:

I like the lumps!

I've always liked the lumps. When I was little, I used to tell my mom to please make my Cream of Wheat my favorite way - with lumps! She would always look at me and tell me it's not supposed to have lumps! But I always liked them. I like the lumps in my MF oatmeal (and I like the texture!), and I love the lumps in my Cream of Chicken. It's like getting a nugget of goodness...

Oy vey, someone should commit me.

Lauren :-)
Lauren
Preferred Member - #170 Club
Preferred Member - #170 Club

Postby Marseilles » March 15th, 2006, 12:01 pm

haha Lauren! Im not a fan of the hot drinks but when I make my banana pudding I make sure there are bitty lumps in that, its like getting some actual banana pieces.

Maybe we all need commited!
Marseilles
Preferred member

Postby Dayna » March 15th, 2006, 6:12 pm

*Dayna scoots her chair a little further away from the weird lump eaters*
Someone once wrote:I'm allergic to cake. I break out in fat when I eat it.

8/05 - 275
SD - 1/17/06 - 259

Dayna
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby BerkshireGrl » March 15th, 2006, 6:25 pm

Dayna wrote:*Dayna scoots her chair a little further away from the weird lump eaters*

:roflmao:
BerkshireGrl
Preferred member

Postby Marseilles » March 15th, 2006, 6:26 pm

hahaha Dayna! Unfortunately the little bitty lumps have little to do with my weirdness. It just comes naturally!

:hammerhead:
Marseilles
Preferred member

Postby DogMa » March 15th, 2006, 6:29 pm

I like the lumps in the oatmeals and the soups, but not in the cocoa (the only hot drink I have). I use a Blender Bottle most of the time, but you have to be careful not to have the water too hot or it'll seep out while you're shaking.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

chunks

Postby ScottsMom » March 15th, 2006, 7:52 pm

Thanks, everyone. I need to get a whisk, it sounds like. You guys are hilarious! I like the chunks in my oatmeal and soup, too. Something to chew! The chunks in the chai latte, particularly are horrible. It isn't just mix that isn't mixed, it is like white chunks of cooked soy, or something. Also, if you don't drink your hot drinks fast enough, they form scum on top. Thick scum that slurps into your mouth in an ooze. BLECH!!!! :puke:
I hate the scum as much as the chunks. I know it doesn't sound like it, but I really am loving medifast! :mrgreen:
Lora
Restart on 1/5/2009-- baby weight again.
ScottsMom
Regular Member - #20 Club

Next

Return to Weight Loss