Greens Question & a Yea Me!!

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

Greens Question & a Yea Me!!

Postby JeepGirl » June 16th, 2006, 7:21 pm

Ok first off... I am a very picky eater and do not eat hardly any veggies besides broccili. I have no trouble with the Lean part of MF but I was wondering if it is ok to skip the Greens part every now and then. I don't mind eating trees each night but some resturants we go to do not have them. Is this bad? Should I bite the bullet and make myself eat other good greens?

2ndly~~We went to our fave Mexican Rest tonight and I had NO..that would be Nada, Zilch, Zero... Chips!!!! They know us well and when I ordered a plain grilled piece of chicken they were shocked ( I Love Love Quesadilla's) I had it with a dash of salsa and was fine! (After sitting on my hands when we first sat down and they brought the chips and cheese dipJust wanted to say Yea ME LOL

I am gonna be fine I think!
JeepGirl
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby DogMa » June 16th, 2006, 7:57 pm

Vicky's exactly right. The green part is vital, and you must not skip it. Ever.

But yes, try to find some veggies you can tolerate. Personally, I don't like green beans normally - fresh from the garden or not - but ROASTED green beans are completely different. Take fresh green beans, the skinnier the better (I buy the French ones at Costco), spread 'em out on a cookie sheet or other pan, spray with olive oil or butter Pam, sprinkle with seasoning of choice, and stick in a 450 degree oven for about half an hour, till they're just shy of burning.

Or people lately have been quite fond of the turnip chips (recipe in the Lean Cuisine) section. They're somewhat like potatoes, with more of a bite.

Otherwise, stick to places that do have broccoli, or see if you can tolerate at least a salad.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby sidrah » June 16th, 2006, 8:09 pm

That is good for you. You stuck with it and will see good thigns for it

I am sure there will be some kind of vegetable you wil find you like if it prepared diferently than you are used to having.
Cauliflower? TOmatoes?

No salads? ever? My favorite has always been cucumbers. Maybe if you find some cold veggies you can dip them in something and eat them that way.
sidrah
Preferred member

Postby Nova » June 16th, 2006, 10:24 pm

Yay, JeepGirl!

I, too, know what it's like to sit on my hands at a Mexican restaurant when they bring out the chips, so I'll pat us both on the back. It does get easier though.
244/171

Would you rather eat what you want, or wear what you want?
Nova
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby Michelle » June 16th, 2006, 11:02 pm

Woohooo Jeepgirl!! :cleader: WTG!!
Michelle
Regular Member - #20 Club

Postby Aerie » June 17th, 2006, 4:09 am

Awesome self control!!! I don't thinkI could have stayed off those evil chips. Way to go girl! :mrgreen:
Aerie
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby JeepGirl » June 17th, 2006, 7:51 am

hehe thanks for the replies.

As far as veggies.. I am a weird weird eater.. I cant stand lettuce in any form..when I USED to eat burgers I would make them fix me a whole new burger if it came with lettuce...just removing it didnt work. (Yea I am warped)

We are going to be eating out a few times this weekend so I will try my darndest to see what other good veggies I can find. Otherwise I will stick with my broccili..if I have it coming outta my ears soon you will know why LOL
JeepGirl
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby SharonR » June 17th, 2006, 2:16 pm

You also might be surpised at how your taste buds change the longer you on this diet. My husband is a super picky eater when it comes to veggies and he is now becoming more open to new things AND liking them!

Give Veggies a Chance! :nutz:
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

Start Weight 326.7 ~ My short term goal will put me at 250!

Started June 19th 2008. First Mini Goal 76.7 pounds.
SharonR
Preferred member

Postby DogMa » June 17th, 2006, 6:01 pm

True. For one thing, after you're on this long enough, ANY "real" food starts looking good!!
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa

Postby Arklahoma » June 18th, 2006, 2:22 pm

WTG on resisting the chip/dip combo!!! That's tough and you deserve many high-fives!!! :hi5:
Arklahoma

Postby Diana » June 18th, 2006, 4:05 pm

Que bueno, JeepGirl!!!

Veggies -- you like salsa, right?? VEGGIES!

Try turnips! Honest! (do a search for Turnip; we've had lots o' discussions) And mushrooms count, too. I think I had summer squash and celery in everything the first month!

And like Ark suggests, play around with how you fix them. I can't tell you how old I was when I realized I DID like cooked veggies when they haven't been boiled like artichokes.
Here's to our mutual success! :buddies: --Diana
Diana
Preferred Member - #120 Club
Preferred Member - #120 Club

Postby celticmelody » June 19th, 2006, 10:06 am

broccoli is my absolute fav veggie! In addition to microwaving (is that even a word?), I make a broccoli salad which is 1-1/2 cups cooked broccoli, 1 TBS Walden farms 0 cal/0 carb honey mustard dressing, a 1/2 TB of dried minced onion. Mix together and chill. Or you can roast the broccoli.

You don't have to like ALL veggies just SOME veggies. (Me I'm not real wild about salad greens).

You could make mashed cauliflower.

Or "fry" veggies in 2 TB of chicken, beef or veggie broth. Zucchi rounds or sticks are great this way. So is cooked spagetti squash spaghetti squash-which is a SUMMER Squash. Yeah!

I also take some of that walden farms dressing and "wilt" some fresh spinach by sauteeing said spinach in the honey mustard dressing.
Double yummy
216/203/135
celticmelody

Postby Serendipity » June 19th, 2006, 6:33 pm

I think I read somewhere that spaghetti squash does not qualify as summer squash. Summer squash is a variety of squash, not an all inclusive list of squash that's grown in the summer.......I think.
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Postby Serendipity » June 19th, 2006, 6:46 pm

Here's a post that discusses the spaghetti squash. Scroll down a bit for Nancy's reply:

http://www.makemethinner.com/forum/diet-2885.html
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity

Postby Guest » June 20th, 2006, 11:03 am

Jeepgirl, you really have to try veggies again and give them a chance. It's time to start eating like a grown-up. I know...I hate a lot of them too, but if you put a tasty salad dressing or sprinkle on a little "salad supreme" on green beans, you will be surprised how good they can be. I have really taken to roasting veggies. I roast bell peppers of all colors, mushrooms, onions, asparagus, green beans, cauliflower, you name it. Just drizzle with a tablspoon or less of olive oil sprinkle with salt/pepper or a little Mrs Dash or some other tasty sprinkle and roast in a single layer in a cookie sheet for about 20-30 minutes at 400. You can stirfry just about any vegetable in a little chicken broth and add a few teaspoons of stir fry sauce or hoisin...presto, instant Chinese food. My favorite lean and green is asparagus chicken with black bean sauce. I thin 2 teaspoons of jarred black bean sauce with a little chicken broth and, if I feel like it, add a pack of splenda. Honestly...you will be surprised how your tastebuds change from when you were a kid. Just get over the psychological thing and try it. You really won't know until you do. The good thing is you can just buy a tiny amount and try it. You don't have to buy a big pile of them. Vow to try one new vegetable per week. No one said this would be easy.

Next

Return to Weight Loss