Got Curves ???

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

Got Curves ???

Postby mytime » July 19th, 2005, 9:00 am

I was just wondering how many folks are with Curves ? I have a 24 hour fitness membership, but was thinking I might try Curves. Do people like it ? Do you see results ? Do you reccomend it ? Ok - let me know and thanks, Mytime
Nothing changes if nothing changes.
Restart Feb 15 2009
mytime
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby LilMsTexas » July 19th, 2005, 11:14 am

I belong to Curves and I LOVE IT! I need to run by there and get a print out of my last measurement right before surgery. I know I have lost over 30 inches since beginning MF in March and that is when I joined Curves too. Well I JOINED Curves back in September of last year but I hadn't been but like 5 times before March of THIS year :? But I think it is the perfect match of exercising with this program because you don't bulk up with their program, but you do exercise your lean muscle. I also love that they measure you and measure your body fat percentage once a month too :D Overall I have to give it 2 thumbs WAY UP!

CHEERS!
Christi
GOD BLESSED TEXAS!
Christi AKA LilMsTexas

5'5", 36 YEARS YOUNG!
186.8/145.2/135
LilMsTexas
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby mytime » July 20th, 2005, 9:06 pm

Thanks LilMsTexas- I am going to check out Curves this weekend ! Mytime
Restart Feb 15 2009
mytime

Postby MamaD » July 21st, 2005, 7:18 am

Hi, was reading the post.... I feel like the prodical you know what.... but anyway wanted to chime in on Curves. I have been going for 4 months and I love it. You work the machines against yourself so you make it as hard or as light as you want. Each machine works 2 opposing muscle groups so that you don't bulk up. the goal is to keep your heartbeat, which you check every 7 minutes, between the yellow and the green. You will learn all about that when you go. My daughter is a trainer there...so actually I know more about curves then I want to!!! It is also important to be measured by the same person every month. I was measured last month and even tho I had lost weight, I was measuring higher in some spots....but I could tell that was just how she was measuring me. Curves is doable for people who hate exercise. :x :x :x The majority of the ladies that go are all in the same boat. We cut up and have a good time there....and the best news............. it is only 30 minutes and you are out of there!! You change positions every 30 seconds. You can do anything for 30 seconds!!....even that unbearable squat machine... OH...AND I almost forgot......... NO MEN and NO MIRRORS!!! How cool is that. I hate hearing men grunt at the gym...don' you?? I mean... come on... have a baby they you can grunt and make all that noise!!!

If you decide to join and have more questions email me and I'll ask the curves guru who lives here for help.

Do it!!! :lol: :lol:
MamaD
Trusted Member

Postby mytime » July 21st, 2005, 9:11 pm

MamaD - thanks I love lifting weights and don't mind my regular gym but thought I might give it a try. I am hoping to check it out this weekend. Do you have to go at a certain time ? I keep kind of odd hours. Mytime
Restart Feb 15 2009
mytime

Postby LilMsTexas » July 22nd, 2005, 4:18 am

A lot of Curves open VERY early in the morning for people who want to go before work. Mine stays open until 8:00 p.m. and I have gone as late at 7:30 before. You can go anytime you want to......and they encourage at least 3 times per week :D

I definitely agree with having the same person measure you everytime too.........you simply make appts for your measurement/weigh-in day ahead of time with whomever you want to do it. I tend to do measurement day on Saturday morning first thing so I can have 1 shake and then wait one hour before I go. You shouldn't have anything to eat 1 hour prior to measurement they say ;) You only do this once a month so I do it the first Saturday before our FIRST MEASUREMENT MONDAY of each month........which I plan to get re-energized coming August so I hope everyone is measuring :D

Anyway.......that's all I got for now. I can't wait to get back to Curves.....I'm ready to start seeing my body get TONED ;)
GOD BLESSED TEXAS!
Christi AKA LilMsTexas

5'5", 36 YEARS YOUNG!
186.8/145.2/135
LilMsTexas

Postby LeeannNH » July 22nd, 2005, 10:58 am

hi mytime

ok i am the negative one on curves. :(
i agree on the positives that christi and mama d spoke of, its cool that there are all women, the measuring is cool, etc.

my main 3 problems were the repetitive nature of the exercises, the ease of cheating the exercises (they are too easy after a while), and the weird way you are in a circle facing everyone while they work out. im not sure if this is the same at all of the curves but the 3 branches i have been to around here are all the same.

i guess i am goofy as so many folks love it. just thought id throw in my experience. :D

leeann
Starting weight on Nov. 3, 2008: 220 | Present weight: 220 | Goal: 135
LeeannNH
Trusted Member

Postby mytime » July 22nd, 2005, 8:54 pm

Christi and Leeann both thank you. Christi - I have not yet taken any measurements but need to and will. So thank you for the encouragement and help in understanding how Curves works.

Leeann - I am a person who likes to make informed decisions. That means I need the minuses as much as the pluses. So I really appreciate your putting it out there. You have given me much to consider. Not everything works for everyone .... oh except MF :D Thanks again everyone. Mytime
Restart Feb 15 2009
mytime

Postby LeeannNH » July 23rd, 2005, 10:07 am

hi mytime

you are sweet. i was scared to post my negative experience...i was afraid everyone would think i was mean :(

good luck with your decision, it sounds like most people love it!

take good care
leeann ;)
Starting weight on Nov. 3, 2008: 220 | Present weight: 220 | Goal: 135
LeeannNH
Trusted Member

Postby tumbleweed » July 23rd, 2005, 2:15 pm

mytime, I have been going to curves for a few months now and I love it! I do have a close friend who thinks it not a hard enough workout for her, but its perfect for what I need right now. I didnt think I would like it at first but I am so glad I gave it a try, I like that its a fast work out, in and out in a half hour usually. Let us know if you like it. :D
tumbleweed
Trusted Member - #100 Club
Trusted Member - #100 Club

Postby Alisha » July 25th, 2005, 9:45 am

Hi Mytime! :)

I thought I'd plunk in my two cents about Curves since this is my fourth month.

I must admit that, because I've been going for so long now, (or at least what seems like a long time!) I have met quite a few of the ladies and it's nice to be able to chat a bit during your exercise routine. I also like the weighing and measuring part. However, I've been experiencing some negatives recently, which actually have me quite upset.

Before I joined Curves, I read some mixed reports - just as I'm sure you're getting now. Some were overjoyed with the program, while others thought the women supervising the gym were lacking in knowledge and motivation. Bearing in mind that Curves is a franchise, I figured that they will all be different, so I bit the bullet and joined.

I was really sad when, last week, I bounded in and was so excited because I'd surpassed the 20# mark. Well the woman there acted like she couldn't give two hoots. She just looked at me and said, "Oh, that's good" with about as much enthusiasm as a wet dish rag.

You see, when I first joined Medifast, both ladies asked me what program I was following. I told them (separately) and about the success rate, this forum and about the Johns Hopkins approval. Well, neither of them were very receptive and outright skeptical. I figured that if it was good enough for Johns Hopkins then it was good enough for me. Then I told them that I had to cut my exercise routine back to 1 curcuit, twice a week for the first month as suggested by Medifast. Well everytime I've showed my face since, all I get is, "Well can't you come 3 times a week and just do the machines?" or "Can't you come twice a week and do a complete circuit?" Each time I explained to them about the program and what it said. I was to the point where if they said one more word, I was going to have to get huffy. I'm a pretty mellow person, but this diet and my success means a LOT to me and I was really upset that these two women had nothing to say but bad.

Now that said, it's more than clear that they don't approve of the Medifast program, and they grumpy when I talk about it because THEY sell their OWN brand of shakes. Just as with everything else, it's all about money. I've never talked to anyone about the program except for them and one lady who overheard me and specifically asked about it. I figured I wasn't going to LIE and she deserved to know!

One of the women who run it also tries to squeeze her workout program in during the times she works, so she almost gets angry when the phone rings and disrupts her! I find this very unprofessional. If she wants to do her workout, I don't see why she can't wait until everyone has gone or do it before it opens. I know it's nice that they use the machines too, but they are getting paid to assist the clients during business hours, NOT themselves.

Also, between the two ladies who run it in the evenings when I go, one will tell me one day to do a maching "this" way, and then the other lady will tell me to do it "that" way. It was very confusing in the beginning and it really made me want to tell them to freeze my membership and call me when they get their facts straight.

The last thing I'll say is that the music leaves a little bit to be desired. It's all re-made songs and most are from the 60's and 70's. Now I like music from those genres (heck I even like music from the 40's!) but because the women who run it are older, they turn it WAY down and I find it very hard to get motivated to do much of anything.

I know it all sounds terrible, but despite the above, I really do enjoy it. I just think that they could do with some more motivating, encouraging people at the Curves I belong to. I'm not saying that Barbie and Sissy need to run the class, but a little "way to go" goes a LONG way.

So anyway, Mytime, you may want to ask the personnel there what they do for encouragement, how they deal with motivation and maybe observe a couple of classes first to see if you think you'll be comfortable there.

I wish you the best of success and I'm sure that you'll enjoy it for the most part.

Alisha
"I can resist everything but temptation"

~Oscar Wilde

Alisha
Trusted Member - #40 Club

Postby LilMsTexas » July 25th, 2005, 7:10 pm

Alisha,
That makes me sick that you have those kinds of idiots working your Curves. The ladies at MY Curves are ooooooooooooooooooooooh so different!! Oh my gosh they are down right GIDDY with excitement for everyone and sooooooooooooooooo nice. They have been so supportive of me and this program and just can't believe the results. That reminds me that I need to run in and show myself off 8) I had to freeze my membership for a bit due to no exercise after surgery. I gotta tell ya I'm reallllllllllllllllly missing working out right now. I look at my body and really want to get on with toning.

You are right about the music.......it's ok........I just wish it was a little more modern dance stuff........but it's cool that it pretty much cuts across age lines and all that. They really turn ours up though....and if it's ever down low or if I think the cd stinks we will say something and they run and change it to something else :D

There are soooooooooo many curves in sooooooooo many places.....I think you should look around and find another one and have your membership changed if that is convenient for you. I hate to see bozos ruining your fun!!

Christi
GOD BLESSED TEXAS!
Christi AKA LilMsTexas

5'5", 36 YEARS YOUNG!
186.8/145.2/135
LilMsTexas

Postby mytime » July 25th, 2005, 9:59 pm

I have to admit that I am loving the opinions and enjoying people getting fired up about exercise. Who ever thought we would be here ? I am getting ready to go on vacation next week and thus have not been into Curves yet. But honestly I am glad I have waited. Everyone is really giving me a lot to consider. Thank you MF support team !!!! Mytime
Restart Feb 15 2009
mytime

Postby Sablebaby » July 26th, 2005, 8:55 am

Mytime,

I belonged to Curves about 3 years ago. I went for the first 4-6 months but then became very tired of going around in circles and having to talk with the same owner. For me it was too monotonous. But I loved it in the beginning. I wasn't able to get rid of the contract back then but now I found out you can. So, find out to make sure if you are allowed to end it with a small fee in case you no longer wish to go. That way you're not stuck with the contract.

But, you may like Curves. I know someone who has been going 6 days a week for 4-5 circuits (supposed to do 3) for 3 years now. I CANT imagine that, but it works for her and she still loves it. She lost over a 100 lbs and has maintained it for a couple of years now. She also runs a bunch of miles everyday, too.

So, I would say check it out as it is an easy workout. :exercise: By easy I mean you go, do the exercise for 30 mins then you leave. It's a totally no brainer routine. It's just like MF, where you don't have to think of what to eat. I almost signed up again right before I started MFing, but I knew I wouldn't be able to exercise for a month if I started MF. I probably won't now as I am spending so much on MF. I tend to like to walk anyway more than driving somewhere to exercise.

Good luck with your decision. Oh yeah the music where I went was mostly oldies :puke: , with a little bit of dance thrown in.

Heather
Heather
Sablebaby
Trusted Member

Postby Tk » July 27th, 2005, 12:12 pm

This program Curves sounds alot like the Gloria Marshall program. I used to belong to Gloria Marshalls about 13 years ago. It was for women only and the excersise was very very light. It was a recumbent bike, treadmill and these roller things that rolled over your stomach and butt. It was also a contract, and when I tried to cancel my contract they threatened to sue me, but between the lawsuit and stuff, they went out of business, and the lawsuit was dropped.
Tk
Trusted Member - #30 Club

Return to Weight Loss