Is Google Broken?

MakeMeThinner Forum or Website (techie) related Topics.

Is Google Broken?

Postby Unca_Tim » February 12th, 2005, 4:02 pm

Hi All,
This is an off topic post, but I'd like to get everyone's opinion of the Google search engine.

You may not know, but with webmasters in the search engine world, there's been lots of controversy for the last several months about google's algorithm and method of displaying websites on their search engine.

For those of you that use Google, I'd like to get your opinion on whether or not you've been getting relevant search results when you're searching for a topic on Google lately.

Any guests that may come across this thread may post their thoughts about this subject without registering.

Here's some links to some alternatives to Google's search if you want to give them a try for comparison:

Yahoo Search
MSN Search
New - MSN Beta Search
Clusty

Your response is greatly appreciated.
Unca
"Failure is a choice"
~From a dream~
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Postby bk » February 12th, 2005, 4:33 pm

google has a lot of trouble coming up with good search results for anything that might be shopping related (unless it is extraordinarily specific). affiliate sites and sites that just list links screw everything up. if you're looking for better search results on google for MMT, I would *highly* suggest buying adwords.
bk
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby 24KaratGold » February 12th, 2005, 4:43 pm

Google is my first choice, but not my only choice. It often gives too many hits to be really useful, but if I'm not yet sure how to narrow my search it can usually get me started on refining things.

There's also ask.com (formerly askjeeves.com) and dogpile. I like ask.com.
270/186.5/160

24KaratGold
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby jene115 » February 12th, 2005, 6:05 pm

I have the google tool bar downloaded at work and home and use it almost exclusively. I haven't noticed anything different really. I do use MSN search and Yahoo! if I can't find what I want though.
Jen
03/01/08
"I'm stronger than my cravings!"
jene115
Preferred member

Postby scrabbler7 » February 12th, 2005, 7:13 pm

I almost always used yahoo for my searching until a few months ago when we switched to Mozilla Firfox as our explorer instead of internet explorer (we noticed less pop ups etc when using Mozilla). Mozilla would default you to google - so I started using that.

It returns a lot of hits - sometimes too many. But for the most part, have been satisfied with the results.
scrabbler7
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby RavenKat2 » February 14th, 2005, 6:49 am

I have only used Google recently because other ones fill me with adware. My husband used whatever popped up on IE and everytime I came back to the computer we had been hijacked! I had never had that problem with Google so I made him swear to stay off the others. I added Adaware and SPybot and things have returned to normal. Oh, and Firefox, too.

I have not noticed any difference in what has been returned on Google searches lately- but maybe now that I am paying attention.... :-)

Kat
RavenKat2
(259)245/207/165

*new id for inspiration*
RavenKat2
Trusted Member

Return to The Web Room