Future NEWBIE? Need Help!

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

Future NEWBIE? Need Help!

Postby schustc » October 25th, 2003, 7:20 pm

Hey all

I am considering doing this plan but don't know if it is the right choice for me. I am currently doing a lower carb lifestyle (for about 5 wks) and have lost 10 lbs (though nothing for the past 2 wks). It is getting slightly frustrating - I don't mind the lifestyle at all, but I would like to be THIN and following the plan of no sugars or refined carbs. I still want to have Veggies and fruits and whole grain carbs on occasion - so don't want to do Atkins. I'd ultimately like to lose the weight (not taking 2 yrs to do so) - but I think my biggest problem is - well - like when I did WW 2 yrs ago - lost 55 lbs over about 8 months. It was so much work, counting everything I ate, and giving up fats for the most part. I was hungry all the time and just burned out. Couldn't do it anymore. And had NOT reached goal, so was just depressed about my failure. That along with some other personal issues at the time resulted in me gaining nearly all of that weight back.

I believe that if I hit goal - (i've never been thin - not since I was in the 2nd grade. I was 140 at 13 and 195 when I graduated high school - now am just over 252) - but I believe that if I hit goal, I'll be more motivated to keep the weight off. Losing 60 lbs, and knowing that you have 70 still to go, well it's daunting - especially if you've been doing it for 8 + months. I know part of it is psychological - that feeling of success and failure. What I wouldn't give to be back at 214 again (about where I quit) and starting from there. Instead I started at 264 about 5 wks ago and am facing a total of 130 lbs to lose. at least I am down 10 of those so far.

As I said I am doing a lower carb plan now - so am hoping this will make the transition to medifast easier. Can anyone tell me about their success stories? I live in Ohio - so anyone in Ohio please post as well!! Let me know how things are going for you - how long you've been doing this, etc.

Also, I just bought a new cross trainer - a life fitness elliptical machine - and am worried about hearing to cut back on exercise?! That is so ... weird? I dont understand that - can someone eplain it to me please

Can someone please also tell me about the medical monitoring in this plan? - what is required, how do I do this, etc? I just recently looked into a liquid diet program put on by our hospital, and the insurance agreed to pay for the medical part of it - not the weekly meetings or meals - and the meals seem to cost about the same, but the weekly meeting fees put it over the top. I really dont want to spend $700 per month for my husband and I to lose weight. I can handle the food fees I think - but the $27 weekly meeting cost x2 for hubby and I - it's just too much.

I may see if I can get the insurance to cover the medical monitoring for this, since they already agreed to the other. plus the meetings on the hospital plan are going to be very hard for me to attend with my work schedule. UGH.

Getting off topic. anyhow- can you all help me with some motivational success stories?

PLEASE PLEASE

THANK YOU!!

Tina
schustc

Postby Ellen » October 25th, 2003, 8:41 pm

Hi Tina and welcome!

I'm three weeks into the plan and loving every minute of it. I'm sure my husband is getting sick of hearing how great this is and how wonderful I'm going to look come spring, so I get online every day to find others doing the same thing since they understand.

I'm from Ohio, the Northwest part near Toledo. It's been rainy, cold and yucky here this weekend.

I think that from everything you've said, this plan would be perfect for you. It is high protein, low carb. The results come quickly enough that you see results before you get bored and give up on the plan. There is no complicated counting or keeping track of calories or points, it really is a no-brainer. I do miss the food at times, but that is true of any diet. I think that in many ways, for me, this plan is easier to stick to than other diets. No food means no food. Simple. You can't justify a bite of this or a taste of that. There's no tricking yourself by saying "I didn't have my milk at breakfast, so I can eat this big old bowl of chocolate ice cream in its place"... you know all the dieting pitfalls.

As for the exercise, I think they just want us to back off a little in the beginning and then work it back in gradually. I think the body needs a little time to adjust to the demands of the very low calorie count in the diet before dealing with the demands of a lot of exercise. I personally plan to focus just on the diet for the first phase of the diet (till Christmas). Then after Christmas, I plan to start to gradually start working exercise in to my plan. I am losing a lot right now with just the diet. I figure that by the time I'm beginning to taper off on weight loss, I'll be adding in the exercise to help boost me back up. (I just made this up as my personal plan... you can do whatever you think works best for you.)

I've got a total of 123 pounds to lose, so I'm figuring that I'll be on the plan untill spring or early summer at least. I'm planning a three week break from the diet for a trip to Germany for Christmas this year, but otherwise, I'll be Medifast-ing until I'm at goal. Seeing the results this early on REALLY helps with the motivation. (I've lost 22 pounds in the first three weeks!)

As for the Medical monitoring, make an appointment with your family doctor and discuss it with him. I'm sure Nancy or Unca Tim will be on with more details on that.

Good Luck to you and let us know if you start. :D
Ellen
Trusted Member - #30 Club

Postby Unca_Tim » October 26th, 2003, 11:09 am

Hi Tina and Everyone,
Nancy and Terry are on a well deserved holiday this weekend and will be back on Monday. They went to Sunny San Diego for Nance's Bday.

Hi and welcome Tina.
Looks like Ellen pretty much got things covered for you. I'd suggest you go with the "Full Fast" Medifast plan for starters. It has a little faster results than the "Modified" plan, and as Ellen said, it removes any chance of fudging by having just a bite of this or that. Once in ketosis after 3-4 days, you'll find that there's no prob with hunger once your body adjusts to your new diet and gets it's energy from your fat cells.

There's nothing wrong with doing the Modified plan, if you feel you absolutely must have some kind of regular food, but for folks with a substantial amount of weight to lose the "Full Fast" is recommended. The Modified is also mandatory for seniors and people with health issues such as Diabetes.

Since we are not Doctors and don't know your health history, it is always recommended you talk over the plan with your Doctor. They will work out a schedule based on your health conditions to keep an eye on you while you're on the program. The frequency of your visits will be a personal decision between you and your Doctor.

Believe me, if you are currently on your own designed low carb diet, you'll be on a MUCH safer diet using Medifast. It's been designed by Doctors, clinically tested and in use for over 23 years.

As for the exercise, Ellen again pretty much answered that for you. It's just recommended that you reduced your exercise until your body adjusts to your new diet. As you regain your health and start dropping those extra pounds, you'll just naturally begin exercising more as your energy increases. Exercise starts coming much easier and is much easier on your body when you're not packing around nearly an extra person.... :)

Many people find they actually lower their monthly bills when they're on the plan. When you're not snacking, nibbling, restauranting, StarBucking etc...it's amazing how much you can save.

I'll let Nancy give you her story when she gets back, but there's thousands of success stories on the program. All I can tell you is that Nance and Terry look and are doing fantastic. They still use a Modified plan during the week and we generally have a nice Sunday gathering with a "feast" of healthy regular food. (Yes...pies and goodies too...Nancy loves to cook!) If they find they're creeping up a few pounds, they just go on the full program for a week or so, and get back on track. Remember, this is a lifestyle and eating habit change. If you go back to your old diet and habits. guess what?....:)

Let us know if we can help you in any way,
Unca
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Postby Unca_Tim » October 26th, 2003, 11:32 am

Tina,
I tried sending your evaluation to you, but it was returned. Send me an email to tim@makemethinner.com, and i'll get your evaluation off to you...
Unca
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Postby Unca_Tim » October 26th, 2003, 1:12 pm

hmmmmm Tina,
Still no luck replying to the email you sent me. I get this error:

454 TLS not available: missing RSA private key (#4.3.0):
retry timeout exceeded

whatever that means.... :roll:
Unca
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Postby schustc » October 26th, 2003, 1:28 pm

Unca

Trying again - Can you just try to send me an e-mail to my other address? see if that goes through? Not sure what the problem is - try both. I just sent an e-mail with both addresses.

Thank you!!

Tina
schustc

new recuit

Postby susan » October 26th, 2003, 3:17 pm

Tina, you would really like this program. I think it is really good I have been on it 1 week and lost 9# pounds ND WITH THE 6# i HAD ALREADY LOST ON WW makes me 15# lost I had 100# to lose wheni started .and now i have91# left to lose i plan on looking alot different by spring. the shakes are good I put pepermint ,lemon or orange flavorings in them andI like them.you can do this it is the easist diet i was ever on and i am losing even tho i had to go on the modfied diet because i am diabetic it is reallygood .try it you will be glad you did.Susan
susan
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Return to Come on in.