Food gifts from co-workers

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

Food gifts from co-workers

Postby DonicaB » April 14th, 2005, 12:12 pm

Well, we are doing MAP testing this week at our school, which is our yearly state assessment test, and one of the teachers that I helped with this during the week brought me a package of full-size snicker bars. Six of them to be exact.

Why is it we always think of food as the perfect thing to show appreciation? It just got me to thinking about all of the times that I have either gotten food as an appreciation gift or given food as an appreciation gift. Our entire society is soooooooo hung up on food.

Don't worry I did not eat any of them. I gave them to my 2 sons.

Maybe you have some odd story to share about food gifts....... :huh: What was the strangest food gift you have ever received? (My gift was not odd I just thought I would start a new topic) :D

DonicaB
DonicaB
Preferred member

Postby dlr2424 » April 14th, 2005, 12:40 pm

Donica....I totally agree....and by the way ...good for you giving the bars to your sons....... :thumbup: ......why is it we always think of rewarding or gift giving with food....or alcohol....why not .....flowers...a massage.....manicure....that way we could truly appreciate our gift....instead of indulging in it & then beating ourselves up.... :whip: ...well at least for me it's indulging ...cause if I had been able to eat in moderation I wouldn't be here in the first place.... :roll: ....but that's what this journey is for....reeducating ourselves....So for me I try to think of other gift items other than food...unless of course it was a gourmet basket full of MEDIFAST!!!!!!!!...now that's a nice gift that can be appreciated for a lifetime..... :yes:

Donna...dlr2424

There's nothing to great that God won't provide me the strength to endure...all I need to do is ask Him
dlr2424
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Dean0408 » April 14th, 2005, 12:40 pm

You are so right! Food gifts have been around forever. I guess they started way back when food was not so easy to get.........at least pre-packaged food. It used to be that people actually had to do some work in order to prepare the food that was to be a gift. Like when someone made a pie for you or baked cookies. (some people still do this and it is more meaningful than just ordering something on the net or buying candy bars)

A couple of weeks ago, my cable went out.......including my internet which is through the cable company. I had to wait two days for them to respond, and when they did.........it turned out that a cable technician had disconnected my cable by mistake because they had marked the wires incorrectly in the underground junction. About a week later........an overnight package was delivered. It was from the cable company. Inside was a note of apology along with a big box of expensive chocolate chip cookies. It could have been some vouchers for free pay-per-view movies or something......but nooooooooooo...........it was chocolate chip cookies. I gave them away........thank goodness I have no milk in the house (since being on Medifast)......or I may have been a goner.

People who give food usually never give health food. If they did and we were not on diets.........we would moan and groan about that I think.

I guess our choices are: 1. Give it away 2. If the opportunity arises and the food is still good, use it as a re-gift 3. Throw it away..........(I will not mention the fourth alternative......it would mean we had slipped)

The hard part is being asked by the giver if we enjoyed the food they gave us. I guess the best thing to do in this case is to LIE big time. Why hurt their feelings? It is not their fault we are in the situation of not being allowed to eat.

Dean
Dean0408
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby DonicaB » April 14th, 2005, 1:04 pm

You're right Dean. I didn't tell my co-worker "I can't have that." I just said THANK YOU! What I wanted to do was :shoot: her.

OK maybe that is a little extreme but I love snickers. Come to think of it I love butterfingers too, and M&M's, and potatoes, and bread, and steak and........:coach: ....SHUT UP! (Can you see why I have a weight problem?)

But what is more important, I love being thin............ At least I think I will love being thin............. Most thin people seem to love being thin........OK I will love it.

DonicaB
DonicaB
Preferred member

Postby Dean0408 » April 14th, 2005, 2:26 pm

I wasn't going to tell ya Donica.......but Snicker's are my favorite candy bar as well, followed ever so closely by Hershey's with Almonds. I tossed a bag of Snicker's miniatures when I started Medifast (along with chips, peanuts, Frito's and lots of Coca Cola Classic. I really miss milk too.....I drank nearly a gallon a day of that stuff when you count the amount I put on cereal in the mornings.

Thin people who were not always thin enjoy it since they had to work for it. Thin people who have always been thin no matter what they eat (yes, there are people like that) don't really appreciate it. They sort of take it for granted because it is and always has been the norm for them. I guess we all take things for granted that we do not have to work for to get.

.........and YES.........you will not only ENJOY being thin.........you will LOVE being thin. So many good things await you (some that you can see, some that you can feel and some that will change the way you think of yourself) when you reach your goal. You're gonna like it!!

Dean
Dean0408

Postby doglover » April 14th, 2005, 2:36 pm

Well, we happen to be food givers - BUT before you all shoot me - what we do is make homemade bread and give that to our elderly neighbors! My hubby is the cook and really loves to give great homemade wheat bread! The neighbors all love it. But, now I am re-thinking. What if someone was on a special diet plan? Would they not appreciate it as much as we think?

The other thing we do is give homemade garden items - like bird houses and planters, etc. Maybe I should pump that up a bit more!

Something that is becoming REALLY popular is to give gift cards to restaurants. That seems kind of benign as someone could choose something healthy like a salad. But maybe I'll try to think of a gift card for something healthy!

This is a good thread. Really makes us think!
Donna
Donna - frequent flyer to FL!
Feb 7, 2005 start date
176/150/150 - made it in 9 weeks! 26 lbs off!
150/139.5/140 - made it in 8 1/2 more weeks! 36.5 lbs off!
144/143/135 - new and last goal! Maintaining for now in 2006
doglover
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby DonicaB » April 14th, 2005, 3:55 pm

Donna - I think what you do for the elderly is wonderful. I don't necessarily think that all food gifts are bad. It just made me realize how food is such a huge part of our lives. It encompasses everything.

You keep givin' that bread, Donna. :thumbig: I assure those people love it.

DonicaB
DonicaB
Preferred member

Postby scrabbler7 » April 15th, 2005, 7:16 am

It's someone's B-day in here today and there is a TABLE full of bagles right outside my office. I can sit here and stare at them from my 'puter. HOWEVER, It doesn't bother me .. know why?

CAUSE NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS THIN FEELS!!!

I'm eating my carmel nut bar (yummy) and slurping H20 .. and smiling away. Cause my rear looks mighty fine in these pants that are getting too big!!

Bagels --- yeah right, that ain't happening.
scrabbler7
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby DonicaB » April 15th, 2005, 7:35 am

Good for you, Ame. I love that phrase. It is so true!!!! :yes:

Someone who is eating one of those bagels right now is looking at you and wishing they could be as strong as you are. That are probably thinking, "How does she do that?"

Keep it up, Ame. Your rear appreciates it. :thumbup:

DonicaB
DonicaB
Preferred member

Postby doglover » April 15th, 2005, 8:52 am

You go Ame!! I even sat in front of my family eating a pizza last week (my hubby made it!) and it did not bother me one little bit! Does anyone remember a few short weeks ago I had to run out of the house on pizza night to shop?! I sure do! Being in control feels awesome!

Now...not that I am perfect. That PB sure does seem to call my name in the pantry. But I am fighting back and yelling out loud - YOU CANNOT CONTROL ME! Most times it works - sometimes I am a zombie and have a nip before I even know what I am doing! :shock: But rather than beat myself up I am trying hard to look inside myself and see why it happened. Those mess up times are fewer and fewer and fewer!

Thanks for the inspiration Ame! Your butt loves it!
D
Feb 7, 2005 start date
doglover

Postby Dean0408 » April 15th, 2005, 11:05 am

doglover wrote:I even sat in front of my family eating a pizza last week (my hubby made it!) and it did not bother me one little bit!

I am truly shocked at this behavior D! :shock: To think you went off plan.......ate an entire pizza in front of your family without sharing it with them.........and then to say that it DID NOT EVEN BOTHER YOU?????

Whoa!! You are really bold........

Next time, give them each at least ONE slice......(especially when your hubby goes to the trouble to make it for you)..it is only fair. :mrgreen:

Dean
Dean0408

Postby DonicaB » April 15th, 2005, 11:37 am

Good one, Dean. I didn't catch that fauxpas. Is that how you spell fauxpas? I love the word fauxpas!!!! :roflmao:

DonicaB
DonicaB
Preferred member

Postby bikipatra » April 15th, 2005, 11:49 am

it is actually TWO words. FAUX meaning false and PAS meaning step! I took 8 years of French and every once in a while it becomes useful.
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby DonicaB » April 15th, 2005, 11:57 am

Thanks Biki, I plan on using it more often. I just love the way it sounds. :D

DonicaB
DonicaB
Preferred member

Postby doglover » April 15th, 2005, 12:18 pm

Dean....I really need to know - what do you do for a living???? You have got to be in something where you pay a lot of attention to detail! That is too funny! I never even thought it would read that way! My mother always accuses me of writing just like I talk but you don't get the visual hands flying everywhere to help interpret!!!

Funny, funny,
D
Feb 7, 2005 start date
doglover

Next

Return to The Weight Room