Feeling really bad right no

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

Feeling really bad right no

Postby idimmu » June 26th, 2006, 2:25 am

I didn't know where else to put this and this is the busiest forum so sorry!

I've been doing the Medifast 5;1 for about 7 weeks now and all has been fine, I've lost 35 lbs which is great and I've always felt well and happy but this weekend I've felt terrible and still do.

I've been constantly light headed and the ends of my fingers feel a little numb, also if I don't drink a glass of water every 15 minutes my body starts to judder and I feel really feint.

Yes, I'm going to the Drs, I've got the appointment booked already so no fear there.

But I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else on Medifast, if this could happen to anyone else or if it might be Medifast related?

My biggest fear is me telling the Dr that I'm on Medifast and him automatically assuming the diet is causing this and making a wrong diagnosis.
idimmu
Newbie - #30 Club

Postby Aerie » June 26th, 2006, 3:07 am

You are in our thoughts.
Aerie
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Ms X » June 26th, 2006, 5:41 am

I'm probably not the best one to offer advice because I've only been on MF for 8 days now. But I notice that I feel exactly like that if I go too long between meals. Except the numb fingers, I'm not getting that. If I eat every 2 1/2-3 hours, I don't feel as bad though. I'm still struggling with some weakness, today seems to be better than it has during the past week. I think it's a good idea to see the doc anyway, because so many things could cause that. Hope everything goes okay for you at the doc, sending positive thoughts your way!
Ms X

Postby Seemelose » June 26th, 2006, 8:46 am

Hi,
It seams to me that my health adviser told me if I got light headed to have a boulloin(sp) That it may be low salt. I hope you are able to get in right away at the DR. this sounds like something that sholdn't wait.
Sharon
Seemelose
Trusted Member - #70 Club

Postby Jen » June 26th, 2006, 8:48 am

Just be honest with the doctor so he/she can make an informed diagnosis. If you don't present all the information, the doctor might miss something important.

Good luck!
Start date: 6/22/06 : 36 : 5'7" : 262/190/140
Jen
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby JKSRN » June 26th, 2006, 12:46 pm

It is good that you will be seeing your physician. Sounds as though, you might need to have some labs drawn, such as a chem panel for electrolytes and blood sugar, and possibly, even some thyroid studies. Hope that, if your physician orders them, that all lab results will be normal for you, be sure to keep us posted and feel better fast. :)
Joan
JKSRN
Preferred member

take care

Postby bree » June 26th, 2006, 1:52 pm

I would tell the MD you have been on a low carb diet but not no carbs at all.
Ask for a CMP and a CBC lab work also when you make your appt with him/her make it very early fast that morning only water as soon as you get there tell the MD you want him to do a FASTING BLOOD SUGAR test also This is not professional advice but this is what I would ask for maybe to check your thyroid too then of course after they draw the blood eat something

If the MD is suspecting some of these things it will save you another trip/appointment if he needs you to be without food to do some of the blood tests

take care well wishes!
Bree
Start weight 180 6/22/06
bree

Postby LovenElvis » June 26th, 2006, 6:05 pm

You have already received great responses and following up with your doctor is the first thing that I would do.

My first question, have you talked to your Health Advisor (HA)?

If so, they should have asked you questions and make sure that you are getting enough calories etc in your day..some need that little bit extra to get them through until their body starts to adjust and or they just need extra and it doesn't harm their loosing pattern.

First talk to your doctor to rule everything out!

Laura Blake
LovenElvis
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Nova » June 26th, 2006, 6:25 pm

First, good call on going to see the doctor. Dizziness by itself isn't so bad, and can probably be corrected by adding some potassium, or drinking fast soups.

I'm not going to diagnose, but I will tell you what happened to me with similar symptoms. Last year, I got very dizzy, naseous and my fingers got numb, and I felt like I would faint if I tilted my head downward. My middle, ring and pinky finger on my right hand were numb and tingly. As soon as I told the doctor about my fingers, she said I had a pinched nerve in my neck. She prescribed some muscle relaxants and steroids to calm the nerves down. After about a day and a half on the medicine, I felt much better.

I hope you get better soon!
244/171

Would you rather eat what you want, or wear what you want?
Nova
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby supermom » June 26th, 2006, 7:24 pm

You have really gotten some great advice. It is important that your doctor know you are on medifast. Everyone is different. It is important to get good lab studies done before, and during medifast. So many things can go wonky with your blood during a diet----especially a very low calorie diet. I LOVE medifast. I am not knocking it. I just think you need to be honest with the doc. He/She needs to check your electrolytes, hemoglobin and hematocrit, your sugars, and your thyroid. I have a problem with dizziness when I am low on electrolytes--I spend a lot of time outside in the hot dry Texas heat. I plateaued for a long time because I was drinkin Gatorade to quench it and cure the shakiness and dizziness. Gatorade is high in carbs. I got some great advice from others here on other electrolyte replacements. Drink plenty. Eat every 2 1/2 to 3 hours, have an extra supplement if you need it, limit your exercise, and take advantage of your allowed snacks. It is not part of the plan, but I have found that I feel more satisfied throughout the day and don't get shakey as often if I have a 6 ounce glass of skim milk every morning. I am presently doing the full plan, so I am having the milk and then 6 supplements throughout the day. I have an allowed snack if I feel like I need it, or if I am going to be more active that particular day. Okay---I rambled a little. Okay---a LOT. Just be honest at the Dr. take the quick start guide, the web address, the nurse phone number and take some of your packets so the doc can see the nutritional breakdown of the plan. (or, print the pages from the computer!) Let us know what you find out. I am curious!
supermom
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby idimmu » June 30th, 2006, 1:42 am

Hi guys

I went straight to the Dr pretty much after posting as I got my appointment moved! I told them everything and had a bunch of checks done and they concluded it was a virus attacking my sense of balance. I've been on some pills now since and taken a few days off work and it's completly cleared up.

Apparently one of the other people here was off with exactly the same thing last week.

Thank you all very much for your thoughts.

Oh, and as this is the weightloss forum..

Started 6 weeks ago.
Start Weight: 231 lbs
Current Weight: 196 lbs
Height: 5'8"

:D
idimmu
Newbie - #30 Club

Hi

Postby dede4wd » June 30th, 2006, 7:37 am

I'm so glad they got you fixed right up! YAY! We were worried!

DeDe
dede4wd
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby JKSRN » June 30th, 2006, 11:00 am

Ditto! :D
Joan
JKSRN
Preferred member

Postby Jen » June 30th, 2006, 1:10 pm

Glad to hear the mystery is solved! Lots of good advice in this thread too.
Start date: 6/22/06 : 36 : 5'7" : 262/190/140
Jen

Postby Arklahoma » July 1st, 2006, 8:00 am

Thanks for sharing. I'm so glad you've got this taken care of.
Arklahoma

Return to The Weight Room