Feeling so-so

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

Feeling so-so

Postby Hyperion » December 9th, 2005, 12:54 pm

Hi guys,

I'm currently living a rather bad experience at work today. When we ate lunch earlier, one of the guys that didn't know about me Medifasting told me that it was not the best solution and argued I lose weight too quickly.

I could live with that. However, I had the same discussion with another coworker yesterday evening (on our way home).

They all seem to say that sport is the best solution. They even both agree that I should do sport because at my weight, pounds would drop down really easily.

I told them if they were ever fat, they said no. I didn't want to sound mean but I just wanted to yell at them: "THEN SH** UP YOU DON'T KNOW HOW HARD IT IS!!!"... More I think about it, more I come to the conclusion I should have kept that MF thingie for myself. The only one defending me was that girl working with us, who told them it was hard to take and follow that decision, and it was even harder to live with the fact that you have to follow that for a good amount of time...

In reality, I don't care about eating Medifast. It's rather good. I just ask for comprehension from people around me. Only that. Don't hide yourself when you eat, but at least accept that I don't eat normal food.

Tonight, we have our christmas office party. Going to a good restaurant. Cannelonis (don't know if it's good in english), pork, chicken, fried shrimp salad, etc... I told them I would bring a bar, and almost everyone was like "oh man you can't let go of this for one meal?", or "eat that and go run for 60 minutes"... I DO NOT WANT ANY OF THAT, I WANT TO DECIDE WHAT ENTERS IN MY MOUTH AND WHAT DOESN'T! Is that so hard a concept to undertsand?????????

Problem is, I don't want to be mean to them by creating a tension as usually, we respect each other. I even think it was not lack of respect, more like ignorance of what my problem is.

I just feel bad, like sad, I want to go home, hide until tomorrow... I don't want to go to that party, sitting in the middle of a table when people will eat for 3 hours, while I eat my bar.

Worst of all, I don't want to give in eating something at that restaurant... I want to keep on Medifast, my mind is set on that.... it's in two hours, and I don't know what to do... :cry:
264/150
Began: 2005-11-03
Finished: Never

Went to 150, then began gym to build some muscle; currently 173.8! (Need to cut some fat)

<b>Discipline is the art of choosing between what you want now, and what you want the most.</b>
Hyperion
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby Serendipity » December 9th, 2005, 1:12 pm

Hype,

If you haven't had your Lean & Green yet, today, you could have it then. I often special order at restaurants. Have you considered that?

As for your co-workers: We can't really expect them to understand. We just need to keep on doing what we know is best for us. Don't try to convince anyone who hasn't been in your shoes. Just realize that they probably mean well.

Stay strong. You won't regret it.
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Postby Hyperion » December 9th, 2005, 1:26 pm

Thanks Serendipity,

I was talking about that problem to a coworker right now.. He told me to talk to Nathalie (our human resources director) about that kind of situation.

I'm going to her office in 10-15 mins... Don't want to create a ruckus, it just appear that this person in particular is having those kinds of problems (being too direct).

I'll just tell her for tonight... That I'll eat a bar and that if I feel people are criticizing or beginning to argue about it, I'll leave the party. Man, I so don't want to go to that point.....

My buddies are really cool with me, but it's hard with this situation. You know, when you don't know about a situation (the whole Medifast plan), people often tend to reject the idea, instead of trying to understand the whole concept...
264/150

Went to 150, then began gym to build some muscle; currently 173.8! (Need to cut some fat)

<b>Discipline is the art of choosing between what you want now, and what you want the most.</b>
Hyperion

Postby Gwenski » December 9th, 2005, 2:19 pm

Hyperion-

Sorry to hear about your troubles at work. Don't let the nay-sayers get to you. Clearly they haven't a concept as to what it is like to be overweight and to make this commitment. I feel horrible because everyone here at my work is overly supportive and even though a few were worried at first, the know I did my research, talked to my doctor and trying to convince me that I made poor choice would get us no where.

Here is a recommendation, to those who want you to live your life by their rules, give them the Medifast webpage and encourage them to be educated on a subject they so sorely haven't a concept about.

Our Christmas party is coming up and it too is it at a restaraunt - you can so do you lean and green without a problem. You can always get steamed veggies and meat. Are you doing a straight fast or is their some reason that you don't want to have your lean and green at the party?!? Heck, I even have a bottle of Fat Free dressing in the fridge for spur of the moment lunch.

Stick to your guns and shine these people on, thank them for their opinions and move on. Or, simply tell them that they have hurt your feelings and that if they truely cared or were friends that they would get on board.

You are fine and will get through this -- it isn't easy but neither is being uncomfortable, unhealthy and overweight - you know you made the right decision so who are these people to tell you otherwise?

Enjoy your day and your party!
Gwenski

Began July 6, 2005 & Originally lost 131.19#'s
New Start Date: November 8, 2008
Gwenski

Postby Lauren » December 9th, 2005, 2:23 pm

Hey, Hype-

You are doing so well, don't let one or two fools (who aren't even good friends, just colleagues) get you down. Truth is, we all could benefit from playing sports and exercising, and most of us would love to do it, but can't really join a basketball or soccer game at our current weight. Just tell them that you look forward to sports, and MF is bringing you closer to it. Or tell them to buzz off. I think I'd probably tell them that you can't make the most of sports/exercise until you get some weight off, so if they'd just back off for now you can all revisit that conversation in a few months!

Since you're a young guy, Hype, you are at the age where everyone thinks they can have an opinion about what's best for you. Truth is, you're more together than most men (and women!) twice your age! If I remember correctly, are you not doing the lean/green, are you just eating supplements? If so, then I understand the bar thing. But if you are lean/greening it, have some at dinner. Or certainly a plate of lettuce/cucumbers would be fine to get by...

This guy is just an idiot, and he gets an ego trip from knocking others around him. At the end of the day, you go home to your lovely girlfriend, feeling great about yourself and your life, while he gets his kicks from being an a--. You win.

:-)
Lauren
Preferred Member - #170 Club

Postby Hyperion » December 9th, 2005, 2:28 pm

Gwenski,

I really am happy to post on these boards. I like to get along some MF fellows, but for the first time, I think this board actually saves me from what would surely be a heart-breaking struggle between MF and do what other people want me to do.

I'm doing the full fast right now because I prefer it that way. When I "eat" non-measured food, I always have the impression I ate too much, and then if I don't lose weight (event if it's absolutely non-related, I begin to have doubts, then I struggle, then I quit)... Pathetic, but I am that way. I found out the way to work around it is to do full fast, and actually I love it!

It's just so hard when it comes to these kinds of situations. As an update, I talked to Nathalie and it is all good now... She is aware that if it turns bad tonight, I'll leave. I don't want to do L&G tonight, I can stick to my bar, and if people can't accept that, just too bad...

I'm reading my old posts; lol I was giving this advice to someone:

You are the one deciding what enters and what doesn't in your mouth.

Discipline is the art of choosing between what you want now and what you want the most.

I'll post after my party with how it ended out. I wish it goes all good, because so far I like my job, I like my buddies, I like the ambience, etc... Only some details like this one, that happened just today :?
264/150

Hyperion

Postby Gwenski » December 9th, 2005, 2:35 pm

Hype-

I hear you and think you totally rock!!!

Stick to your guns and your game plan cause it is working for you and that is the most important thing of all. The best part about Medifast is that is works so you practically don't mind it too much. The no brainer part is nice too.

Just sit there smugly and enjoy the sounds, smells and conversations going on around you at the party becuase really, that is the party. You are far better off than He Who Doesn't Know How to Shut His Pie Hole. Lauren is right, who does he have other than himself at the end of the day? You have a everything you have always had, plus you are gaining your health and happiness and have US!!

Enjoy and don't worry about a thing, you are fine, he isn't and that is something to be super smug about! WOO HOO!! Tis the season!! ;0)
Gwenski

Began July 6, 2005 & Originally lost 131.19#'s
New Start Date: November 8, 2008
Gwenski

Postby Hyperion » December 9th, 2005, 2:35 pm

Lauren,

Always the word to makes me laugh! You are such a great gang, people :lol:

You so completely understand me, it's almost unbelievable! The colleagues-friend comparison is really good. In fact, the 3 people that are good friends in life outside office understand and support me perfectly...

I'll just back off for now on this discussion, and we'll see next summer...

You bet that MF is getting me closer to sports. I almost can feel the smell of sweat that is upcoming :mrgreen:

Thanks for the comment that I'm mature, I don't know if I merit that kind of award, but let's say I try to be ojective about other's problems.

Thing is about this colleague, I'm sure he's not an a**. He just has some rock solid predefined ideas about what is good and what is not. Generality. I mean, for a 10-20 pounds overweight person, I can understand sport is better than MF. But 85 pounds overweight? He probably didn't think it hurted my feelings... You know, we often are like that us guys.

Thanks for your support Lauren!
264/150

Hyperion

Postby Hyperion » December 9th, 2005, 2:42 pm

Gwenski,

Hehe thanks again and again :)

As for this guy, he's generally not an a**. He just insisted too much on this subject. Really, people who get to know him knows that he's a good man (btw he got a wife + 2 daughters).

My friend just told me (he works here for 3 years now), that you just need to know what to "take" and what to "reject" when it comes to his opinions. It's his problem. Not making him a bad person, but it can hurt feelings sometimes without him realizing it.

I'm not mad at him. I'll just back off with this discussion until I get to my goal. If he says something tonight (which I highly doubt), I'll just tell him that it's hurting me and to buzz off.

Party is in 20 minutes now.... Lol i'm looking much more forward to it! I guess this will be fun, after all! And that is all thanks to you guys!!!!!!
264/150

Hyperion

Postby Lauren » December 9th, 2005, 2:46 pm

Yeah, Hype, guys are guys. I am sure he's not an a--, I just find it easier to be mad at them (in my mind) and make them the villain, then to consider what they are saying. Usually in life we should be open-minded, but right now, just shut them all out until you are so ingrained in the diet that you want to debate the merits of MF with him.

In the meantime, just laugh him off, and tell him that you'd like to set a date (like 3-6 months from now), where you'll join him in some sport that you both like, but until then, mind his own business.

Anyway, have fun tonight! Don't stress. Remember what Nancy says, "Nothing tastes as good as thin feels." God I love that quote.

Let us know tomorrow how it went. And don't stress! It's just a few silly hours in the grand scheme of life!
Lauren

Postby Hyperion » December 9th, 2005, 2:55 pm

I'm going now!! See ya later guys!!
264/150

Hyperion

Exercise

Postby Jan » December 9th, 2005, 10:14 pm

Hi Hyperion,
I know you are off at your party now and hope all is going well. I haven't the slightest idea why people think that we can simply exercise off our excess weight -- we can't!!! I was at the Dr. with my daughter (who is a med student) a couple of years ago. She had had quite an extensive knee surgery and was asking about exercise ( she had put on a few pounds) I was quite surprised when her Dr. told her that there comes a time in all our lives (she was only 24) that exercise simply won't do it as far as parting with the pounds is concerned. He told her she simply had to limit her caloric intake. I have lost 45 pounds on MF and I can't even imagine how long it would have taken me to "exercise it off" Exercise is great -- but not the best way to part with the pounds!! Plus as someone else said when we are talking about a pretty sizeable needed weight loss -- it would be scary to exercise tooo hard!! Don't need any heart attacks!! I think the best way to think of MF is as a medical program designed to give you the fastest and safest weight loss possible. It certainly is not a "fad diet" or a risky program.
jan
Jan
Preferred member

Postby betz » December 10th, 2005, 6:57 am

Just a quick note about losing via exercise. Before Medifast, I was walking for two hours a day at a quick pace. TWO HOURS of everyday got swallowed up by a treadmill.

While the walking did firm my muscles and I'm sure had other benefits, I never lost a pound. I gained (presumably because muscle weighs more than fat) a few in fact.

This got to be so discouraging that my depression grew deep and I really felt just hopeless.

I'm not against exercise, I just don't think it's always the answer to weightloss for everyone at every stage in their life. I plan on getting back into a regular routine of 20-45 minutes of walking and maybe some light weight training when I get to maintenance.

And Hyperion...you're doing so well. I'm very impressed by your attitude and drive. I think my nutrition has actually improved with Medifast rather than declined--and I bet you feel the same way. Just be satisfied with the fact that you know better than some others and that the proof is in your improved health and weightloss.

I assure you, if ever that friend at work finds himself to be 30 pounds over weight at some time in his life..the first thing he'll think of is..."Maybe I should look into that Medifast...it sure worked for *insert Hyperion's real name here*.

Best wishes :D
betz
Trusted Member - #10 Club

Postby Serendipity » December 10th, 2005, 11:07 pm

Hey Hype, you there? I'm dying to know how your party went.
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity

Postby Hyperion » December 11th, 2005, 7:08 am

Hi all,

Back from the party in one piece!!

It was rteally fun, nothing to complain about! The waitress was jus surprised when she asked my order and I said "nothing" :shock: "Hmmm really nothing?" "Really really!!"

It all went good, I just had a headache at the end of the night because I didn't eat for 5 hours :D
264/150

Hyperion

Next

Return to Weight Loss