My Favorite Lean & Green - Post yours!!!

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

My Favorite Lean & Green - Post yours!!!

Postby MomJackieLee » June 21st, 2004, 1:50 pm

For those of us using the modified plan, I thought it might be helpful to get some ideas for great lean & green meals (spices, variances, etc) so that we aren't stuck in the "chicken breast with a salad" rut.

I'm having a hard time cooking for family and not eating during the week, (probably the struggle most folks have on the weekend). On the weekends when I work 3 days I'm either asleep or at work and its not a problem to just use supplements or RTD. I took my hand blender to work and mixed up my shakes right in the cup when I had time and used RTD when in a time crunch. During the week, though, I cook for family and like to cook something that I can "lean and green".

Tonight's meal is peppercorn marinated pork tenderloin with broccoli steamed in beef boullion and raw tomato slices sprinkled with lemon pepper.

:chef: Happy Lean & greening!!!
MomJackieLee
246/222/160
MomJackieLee
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Echo » June 21st, 2004, 2:22 pm

I have a lot of favorites, and now that the weather is nice I love to grill. Marinated shrimp with a baby spinach salad, and foil wrapped salmon with grilled zuccini, tomato and portabella mushrooms are great. I also like a buffalo chicken wrap (boneless buffalo chicken, sliced tomato, a few leaves of lettuce and a tinch of bleu cheese dressing (just enough for the flavor), on a wheat tortilla. Remember, you can subtract one gram of carbs for every gram of fiber.
Echo
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby explorthis » June 21st, 2004, 2:36 pm

on a wheat tortilla. Remember, you can subtract one gram of carbs for every gram of fiber.

Huh? Where did you read this? Subtract 1 for 1?

And as for the tortilla, I think that is "again" the law. No bread, no how!!

Guess we shall "weight" for Nancy, but I think bread (flour) is a no-no, and this means tortilla's. (I will gladly take a correction mulligan if necessary)

-Mike
Was 337/223 is goal (about 40 to go)
explorthis
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby MomJackieLee » June 21st, 2004, 3:21 pm

Mike, I think you are right as far as the lean & green, but Echo could make a wrap using a large romaine lettuce leaf. I think that would be an allowable substitute on the plan.

MMM... I'm dreaming of grilled portobello, onion and red pepper "wrapped" in a romaine leaf. You could also throw in your grilled fajita spiced chicken and a tablespoon of salsa. The family could do the tortillias and everyone gets what they want.

Keep those great ideas coming!!!
MomJackieLee
246/222/160
MomJackieLee

Postby MomJackieLee » June 21st, 2004, 4:00 pm

Another thing I do while cooking is go ahead and have my fastsoup and crackers with my celery allotment or some raw veggies for crunch while I am cooking to keep from "tasting" my success away.
MomJackieLee
246/222/160
MomJackieLee

Postby Echo » June 21st, 2004, 9:36 pm

I read it in cooking light magazine, Mike. It's called the Effective Carb Count, and that is what the body is absorbing. I'm not fanatical about the diet, I do what works for ME. And, obviously it's working, I'm minus 20 lbs. As I have said before, I don't follow the diet to a T, but the choices I make are MINE to make. I am very active, I work 12 hour shifts in a busy emergency department, I swim, and do strength training and cardio 5 days a week. I have healthy foods in healthy amounts, I don't eat in excess.

Some people need to follow the letter of the 'law', good for them. Some people can't have a small wheat tortilla without throwing in the towel, that's not me. I don't have it every day, but if I do that is MY choice. Maybe if I had 100+ pounds to lose I might be more anal about the diet, but I don't.
Echo

Postby Nancy » June 21st, 2004, 11:12 pm

What? :shock: Did I see the word 'tortilla?'

Did someone out there ask if it is okie dokie to consume tortillas during the weight loss phase? As in, is it all right to open the chops, shove in a flattened piece of corn, white or wheat flour? Huh? :roll:

The answer to this is question is:
:x NOPE!

Tortillas = bread = carb = NO NO

Beep, beep, Back away from the tortillas!

Medifast is nutritionally balanced and the Five and One means One meal of regular food that shall consist of 4-5 ounces of lean meat, fish or poultry (6-7 ounces of lean meat, fish or poultry for males and a small salad with up to 1/4 cup of chopped raw Non- starch veggies. One may have 1-2 tablespoons of non-fat or low-fat salad dressing.

BTW, NO cheese either...

Yeah, yeah, some people DO lose weight when they have things from the :twisted: Forbidden Zone :twisted: but then when one messes with Medifast a little bit here and a little bit there, pretty soon they reach a plateau, begin gaining, begin adding a few more bits of stuff.

Before ya know it, they have twanged themselves right back to where they used to be :oops: and say, "Well, I tried that Medifast. It doesn't work."

The issue is really that Medifast works because it IS nutritionally balanced; we have 23 years of success and the clinicals to back it up. We are learning how much to eat, how often to eat and what to eat - this is the learning stage. When we get to maintenance, we do the balancing stage - balancing food amounts, quantities and types & exercise.

Be patient. Don't be in such a hurry. 8) Tortillas will still be around when you reach your goal weight and you may THEN have tortillas (and cheese - IN MODERATION!)

Still :heart: love moi?
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby MomJackieLee » June 22nd, 2004, 5:02 am

Echo, I also work the 12 hour shift in the ER on the weekends. The RTD saved my life this past weekend. Holidays are always so busy for us, then I'm the only psych assessor for the shift and if someone calls in sick at our sister hosp I have to cover both and drive back and forth. I'm too darn busy to think about eating then...

I too stray a bit from time to time, but am trying to stick to plan as much as possible to maximize the weight loss. Ad if I do have a day where I eat something not on plan it is SO MUCH LESS than what I would have done in the past that I am just proud of myself for that small success. (i.e. a binge on celery and cauliflower - I just can't feel too guilty about that...)

I think you are doing well by focusing on your accomplishments. Keep it up.
MomJackieLee
246/222/160
MomJackieLee

Postby explorthis » June 22nd, 2004, 8:19 am

Echo wrote:It's called the Effective Carb Count, and that is what the body is absorbing. I'm not fanatical about the diet, I do what works for ME. And, obviously it's working, I'm minus 20 lbs. As I have said before, I don't follow the diet to a T, but the choices I make are MINE to make.

Some people need to follow the letter of the 'law', good for them. I do that is MY choice.

Hey Echo, last thing I want to do is step on your toes, and or rain on your parade, but… BUT, not everyone is as strong as you. Some have 100# to lose, and some don't. You obviously do not, and this is fine, however this is a MEDIFAST board, not a tortilla, or light cooking magazine board. If you happen to want tortillas on your "way-modified version" then this is A-OK by me, but this is not the MEDIFAST way. I said I could be wrong, and Nancy chimed in and agreed w/ me. And lest we forget, this is her Medifast board.

I am fanatical about Medifast, and I want those that have had a HARD life of dieting battles, understand Medifast completely, and use it as designed.

The post was to ask what lean green combo was your favorite, and yours is not a lean green. Lean = lean cut of allowed meat. Green = green only.

Sorry for the confusion, and if I stepped on your toes.

-Mike
explorthis

Postby Echo » June 22nd, 2004, 2:31 pm

Well, excuse me for modifying the diet to meet my needs. Some carbs are worse than others, a piece of chocolate cake or a bag of chips is not equal to a small wheat tortilla, but if it helps people to not distinguish between the two then fine. I will refrain from mentioning the offensive wheat tortilla in the future.

I understand this is a MF support group, I didn't understand that any variation from the strict full fast (because I do not feel that people who choose the 5:1 plan receive the same support as those who choose full fast) would be flamed. I will continue to do what works for me.
Echo

Postby Ria » June 22nd, 2004, 3:03 pm

Mike I think we should let Nancy decide who she wants to stay on this board...
Ria
Ria
Trusted Member - #30 Club

Postby explorthis » June 22nd, 2004, 3:30 pm

AMEN Ria. Let's do just that!

And.... until she deletes my logon, I will continue to support Medifast, and this board, that she designed for Medifast support. I will continue to say nay to modifications that were NOT designed for Medifast.

-Mike
explorthis

Postby Echo » June 22nd, 2004, 4:14 pm

I didn't realize how much a wheat tortilla meant to some. And, I didn't realize that would mean that I should leave the board. I am not unsupportive of the MF plan, I like a lot of things about it. I'm not saying that anyone else should do what I do either. I'm not forcing a wheat tortilla down anyone's throat.

If you really want me to leave, Mike, then I will. I don't feel that some of the things that have been said on the board and in instant messages to me are called for and if leaving will save me from abuse then I will leave.

I didn't attack anyone, I am not hostile towards people, but I will defend myself. Who knew that 5g of net carbs would cause such a stir?
Echo

Postby Marseilles » June 22nd, 2004, 4:15 pm

Well, well, well...

You know, I have read this post from the start and I have been biting my tongue but now, I choose to speak my mind. I hope that it is received in the spirit it is intended..but I am willing to take my chances.

Firstly, I think that the key word in this entire forum and not ONLY but perhaps most importantly, this particular POST is quite simply: SUPPORT.

First of all, I choose to take up for the Guido..now Echo, I mean no offense whatsoever but I have been looking and looking at this post and hon, in all honesty, I see NO slight towards you whatsoever in Mike's words. I think in ALL honesty it was misperceived. Granted, I do know Mike quite well and I can speak from experience when I tell you that he is the master of tough love.

There have been MANY a time when he has set me straight when I havent asked and moreso when I have. The key there, is love..and yep, Id use that strong a word with the Guid-meister. His heart is true and EVERY post he writes has nothing other than the good of ALL here at heart. Lets also not forget that big old 100# club symbol by his name. He is not preaching, he is speaking from EXPERIENCE. Much valued advice by the vast majority here. I applaud you Echo, for being in a place where you do not have 100+ lbs to lose but many here DO. Mikes concern is for the good of the board and ALL of us that frequent it.

Having said as much, I will be the one to say that Mike's stepping up and questioning the infamous tortilla was out of concern for those that are NOT strong enough to modify a program that really is pretty much written in stone. Im sure I speak for the lot of us when I say that we have all found how easy one bite can lead to one biscuit can lead to one basket can lead to one bushel. (To semi-quote someone else on the forum, Im not sure who currently.)

At any rate, my opinion is that although Mikes reply was not intended as a slight by ANY means it was perceived as one.

Point being, lets all perhaps take a step back from this and instead of making it into a flame war..which at this point I see signs of and truthfully, it concerns me as it SO completely defeats why we are ALL here; and realize that things were most definitely misinterpreted.

Regarding Ria's comments, I honestly didnt see anyone ask or imply that ANYONE should LEAVE this forum..but hey, this is obviously only MY perception.

Echo, if you have felt that you receive LESS support doing the modified program as opposed to the full fast then I would like to take the opportunity to apologize on behalf of ALL of us here. I speak with absolute sincerity when I tell you that this is not the case at all. The opinions held by those that post here are exactly that, and I really think that the comments you see for/against one or the other are based solely on the opinion of the author. medifast IS about finding which program works best for YOU.

At any rate, I have said MORE than enough, Im sure..and Im not even a politician!! LOL

Please people, lets not lose sight of what is important. We are ALL in this together, we are ALL striving to succeed and we ALL have a common goal. We ALL respect each other and EVERYONE wins.

Happy Shaking everyone..lets get our feet back onto the ground and avoid the proverbial p*ssing contests, shall we?

-M. the outspoken.
Marseilles
Preferred member

Postby Echo » June 22nd, 2004, 4:17 pm

I didn't realize how much a wheat tortilla meant to some. And, I didn't realize that would mean that I should leave the board. I am not unsupportive of the MF plan, I like a lot of things about it. I'm not saying that anyone else should do what I do either. I'm not forcing a wheat tortilla down anyone's throat.

If you really want me to leave, Mike, then I will. I don't feel that some of the things that have been said on the board and in instant messages to me are called for and if leaving will save me from abuse then I will leave.

I didn't attack anyone, I am not hostile towards people, but I will defend myself. Who knew that 5g of net carbs would cause such a stir?
Echo

Next

Return to Come on in.