So far so great...

All that hard work and now what? Let's talk about how to keep those pounds off...

So far so great...

Postby Lauren » December 8th, 2006, 2:17 pm

This transition thing seems to be suiting me just fine, so far! I am dragging it out looong, so that there's no big shift in my days to wreak havoc on my system. For the first week I just added one fruit to each day. Then I began including my newest FAVORITE item, the Fage 0% Greek Yogurt. I put cinnamon in it and dip apple wedges, it's like heaven on earth. I have been doing that for a little over a week now. I had already begun added more fats to my diet a couple months ago, to try to add some heft to my hair, so I already get a couple tablespoons of olive oil on most days, so I don't really need to transition the fats part. And now that takes me to the whole grain section...

Ah, the adding in of whole grains. Here's where I get legitimately scared. I am a total freak for carbs - not the candy/cake kind, but the rice/noodles/bread kind. Yum. But for the last year, I have been totally able to thrive and enjoy food without these things, and I don't really think that introducing them back in will benefit me. I get lots of complex carbs from the oatmeal, and fiber from tons of veggies (tons), and I have adjusted my sushi eating habits to just sashimi, as opposed to rolls, so, really, why re-introduce the rice and stuff? I may change my mind down the road, but for now I think I am going to bypass the introduction of my "trigger" foods, but still certainly be willing to entertain foods that have higher carb content - like edamame, artichokes, brussel sprouts, etc. I *may* even consider things like corn or peas down the road, but lo mein? Rice? Bagels? Yeah, even thinking about them makes me get a bit anxious.

So, this week I am going to be incorporating a second small L&G meal, basically doing what I've been doing, just twice! I'll see how that goes...

Oh, and the scale is down a bit more - very exciting! I can't for the life of me figure out the tickerfactory. My goal was 155 pounds down, I've passed that, but when I click that I weigh a couple pounds less than my goal weight, it shows that I have 2 pounds to go! No fair! So I keep changing my goal weight as my weight goes down, so it says I'm at goal!

If anyone knows how to fix this, I welcome you to chime on in!

Hope you're all doing fantastic!

Lauren
Lauren
Preferred Member - #170 Club

Postby Serendipity » December 8th, 2006, 7:18 pm

Lauren,

We're on the same page with the grains. I agree....why add something back that was a trigger before? And talking about slow! I hit my goal last week, but I haven't started transition yet, lol, I'm waiting to be sure that I'm firmly at my goal weight. I've also decided to make my food additions at about a week intervals instead of 4 days.

I think I'll save very special occasions for the treats such as bread, bagels, potatoes, rice and anything sweet. Havent' needed them for over a year, so I really don't need them now.
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Postby THINKnTHIN » December 9th, 2006, 5:30 am

Way to go you two! I will be following you both closely....although I am 15 lbs or so away from goal, I am already fretting about maintenance. Your triggers are ones I share. When I did this the first time, I did well transitioning off to a low carb diet, then adapeted to Body for life Ratios...then I lost it. Carbs became the demon again. This time I am thinking along the lines of just staying low carb and forgoing those trigger foods. I am so proud of both of you and love reading up on how you both got to where you are. Hang in and good luck!
THINKnTHIN
Trusted Member - #30 Club

Postby DogMa » December 10th, 2006, 1:40 pm

Depending on which Medifast products you've been eating, the ratios aren't really very far off from Body For Life, actually; the main difference is BFL allows a bit more fat (20 percent rather than about 10 percent). Medifast is not what would be considered a low-carb plan.

My 40 percent carbs don't come from things like pasta and bread and rice and potatoes. Mine are from fruit and usually slightly starchier veggies (like artichoke hearts, butternut squash or sometimes a very small sweet potato). Seems to work fine for me.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Hi

Postby dede4wd » December 10th, 2006, 7:08 pm

Lauren,
I'm SO proud of you! I really think what you're doing with your transition is great. Jo too! I'm planning on doing the same thing. You're doing so well!

DeDe
dede4wd
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Lauren » December 11th, 2006, 11:24 am

Thanks for your comments, ladies! Sorry it took me a bit to get back online - I am normally checking regularly, but I have been so busy the last few days and went to my family's for an early Hanukkah celebration with my niece and nephew - so fun!

Anyway, I am just seeing your replies now, so thanks!

Jo, you are too funny. You hit goal, but nothing changes? :-) Believe me, I understand, I keep wanting to get on the scale and see it go down, keep wanting to follow the diet, it's just so much easier, and there's no fear involved, so I do understand. And yes, I kept the fruit and then dairy phase for a week+ each, not 4 days. I wanted to watch and see if my body responded in any way. So far the scale has generally still gone down slightly (yay!)...

ThinknThin, we'll definitely be keeping our eyes out for your arrival, it shouldn't take too long, and you're going to be so pleased when you get here - the weather's warm, sun is shining, birds chirping...Or maybe that's just in our heads?!

Robin, I totally agree with you that MF is not low-carb, which is why I feel okay about not adding additional grains. I think if I was on a low or no-carb plan, it wouldn't be healthy to stick with it for long term, but since we get ample carbs from the MF meals and from fruit/veggies, I feel like my body is getting all the necessary food groups, you know what I mean? You seem to be doing fantastic at this maintenance thing, I hope I have the same success! But I have never been a counter (carb/calorie/etc), so I am not likely to measure out my plan the way that you have. I am just sort of adding healthy items in to my existing plan. So, I already added the dairy and fruit, and now I am essentially adding a second L&G each day.

My plan this week is probably about this:
7:00ish: MF oatmeal
10:00ish: MF oatmeal/pudding
1:00ish: L&G
4:00ish: MF Pudding or Bar
7:00ish: Small L&G
9:00sh: Fat Free Greek Yogurt plus 1 Apple
11:00ish: MF Pudding

Oh, and I continue to be pretty unrestricted on the veggies front - I always have been. I'll let you all know how it goes!

Dede, thanks so much for your support, you're going to be here in no time at all, and we can't wait!

Cheers, folks!

Lauren
Lauren

Postby Lauren » December 14th, 2006, 8:57 am

Still going strong! I actually lost another pound this week, which is way okay by me! I am consistently exercising 6x a week now, which is great because it's become a part of my schedule and life that I plan around. I use to go, but not with the same regularity. Now, if I know I have plans after work, I go before work. I don't like it, but I do it.

I just have to not be so scared to commit to the two L&Gs per day. I sometimes do it, but not always. It feels weird to try to have a whole additional meal when I'm home. If I am out with friends/clients, it's no big deal, I just eat another meal. But to prepare food at home when I get home from work, after having had my L&G at lunch, is unusual. I am working up to it, I swear!

But I feel great, and while I truly don't enjoy shopping - I do enjoy having nice things, and it is a pleasure to walk into a store, pull a size 8 pant off the rack and have them fit without issue. Buying clothes is so easy now (too easy!), and I have been creating a whole new wardrobe!

Yay for maintenance!

Lauren
Lauren

Hi

Postby dede4wd » December 14th, 2006, 11:20 am

I'm so glad you're doing so well Lauren!

I am slowly getting into your daily exercise regiment. I hate it, but I do it now too!

Don't worry about the 2 L & G's...I know it's a pain, but you have to maintain, not lose any more, right? Let us know how it goes!

DeDe
dede4wd

Postby bikipatra » December 14th, 2006, 12:43 pm

Have you considered WHOLE grains-not bagels and pasta. But brown rice, quinoa, polenta...just an idea.
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby Lauren » December 14th, 2006, 2:24 pm

Thanks, Biki -

Yeah, I have totally considered them, but then I considered the fact that I love those as much as bagels and pasta! I could seriously lick a plate clean with polenta (yummy!), so it's still a trigger. I think I'll just cautiously approach these on an as needed basis. For now, I don't miss them, so I am staying clear. When I decide I miss them, then perhaps I'll give it a try...

Thanks for the thoughts, though, lady!

Lauren
Lauren

Postby bikipatra » December 14th, 2006, 4:11 pm

Lauren wrote:Thanks, Biki -

Yeah, I have totally considered them, but then I considered the fact that I love those as much as bagels and pasta! I could seriously lick a plate clean with polenta (yummy!), so it's still a trigger. I think I'll just cautiously approach these on an as needed basis. For now, I don't miss them, so I am staying clear. When I decide I miss them, then perhaps I'll give it a try...

Thanks for the thoughts, though, lady!

Lauren

I know what you mean about the carbs. I totally convinced myself a donut was a vegetable once....think about it-all the components grow from the land. Nature's perfect food...
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra

Postby Lauren » December 21st, 2006, 10:24 am

Okay! So, I'm several weeks into this maintenance game, and I seem to be doing just fine! (yay!)

I still haven't added any additional carbs, besides fruit and the carbs that are part of my MF supplements, but I am still cool with that. I still really enjoy my MF meals, so I basically still eat them most of the day, plus 2 Lean & Greens, plus some dairy (yogurt), and 1-2 fruits. I still start the day with MF Oatmeal, but now I often have an apple with it. And I still use MF as my snacks between the meals, and still end the day with pudding or oatmeal. So, most hasn't changed, and I like it that way!

I know many of you probably can't wait to get off the MF supplements, but I enjoy them, and I probably will continue to enjoy them until I re-introduce "real" foods that will force me to see the comparison. Like, I LOVE my chocolate pudding, but if I were to try real chocolate pudding right now, I'd probably realized that MF chocolate pudding isn't so hot. But why do that? If I enjoy the MF stuff, I see no point in torturing myself with tasting the real deal, and then feeling like I have to compromise taste. Same with the oatmeal. And don't even get me started on the bars - chocolate mint and lemon fantasty? I STILL make "yum" noises when I eat them! My friends seriously think I'm nuts.

My point? Maintenance is going to be different for everybody, and perhaps it will even be different for me in a few weeks/months, but for now, just adding the fruit (yayayayay!!!) and dairy and extra L&G (oh, and plenty of fresh veggies all day long, whenever I want them), has brought me tremendous satisfaction, that I think I am going to stick with it for now.

I feel good, lost another pound, which is great, running 6x a week, strength training, and feeling really accomplished. And I am off to Aruba at the crack of dawn tomorrow, so perhaps I'll actually attempt some water activities (parasailing??) that have eluded me these last, oh 15+ years! :-)

Happy holidays to everyone!!

Lauren
Lauren

Postby Serendipity » December 21st, 2006, 10:34 am

Have a great trip, Lauren.

When my son asked me what I wanted for Christmas, I told him he could send us to Aruba! HA!
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity

Postby Lauren » December 21st, 2006, 10:39 am

Thanks, Jo! Maybe you'll go next year??? Time to start hinting to hubby about that!

I'll still check in periodically from there, I can't go a week without this forum!

What a fantastic new year we get to celebrate, huh? New Year, new us!

Lauren
Lauren

Hi

Postby dede4wd » December 26th, 2006, 12:29 pm

Hope you're having a blast in Aruba Lauren!
Can I get an after picture from there????? Maybe?
DeDe
dede4wd

Next

Return to Maintenance