Exercise success & questions

Fitness and Exercise

Exercise success & questions

Postby Petunia » February 17th, 2008, 9:46 pm

I do not like to exercise. Treadmills? Yuck. Aerobics? Torture. Team sports? Heavens. That being said, when they moved employee parking from beside the building to 3 blocks away, I don't mind the walk, so I am not adverse to all forms of exercise...

My mom recognized that I needed a lot of exercise as a kid, and she insisted that I belong to a swim club. I bless her for it now, since I had a really good loss this week - - my best ever (apart from the first two weeks after starting.) I was never a fast swimmer, but as a result of the swim club experience, I am a competent, relentless swimmer.

This week I managed to swim 4 times. Each time I swam 40-50 lengths in 30-40 minutes. So far, so good. Great weight loss. Even better.

My questions...could I work myself into starvation mode? How does that work, since I simplistically believe that weight loss = calories consumed-calories expended?

Second question...I am hungry most of the time and stay on Medifast by sheer will power (at least it seems to me). This week, I have been more hungry than usual, and I think it is due to the swimming. Any advice here? Should I have an extra shake? I am afraid I might wear down my fragile will power. I swim first thing in the morning, so the glow of exercise has long worn off by the afernoon & evening, making compliance difficult.

When I was medifasting before from Jun 05- Apr 06, I mainly bicycled and I rarely posted more than a 2 pound weight loss a week. On the other hand I never gained and I never plateaued. I biked 40-60 minutes 4-5 times a week.
Petunia
Regular Member - #80 Club

Re: Exercise success & questions

Postby Mike » February 18th, 2008, 12:04 am

Petunia wrote:My questions...could I work myself into starvation mode? How does that work, since I simplistically believe that weight loss = calories consumed-calories expended?

Second question...I am hungry most of the time and stay on Medifast by sheer will power (at least it seems to me). This week, I have been more hungry than usual, and I think it is due to the swimming. Any advice here? Should I have an extra shake? I am afraid I might wear down my fragile will power. I swim first thing in the morning, so the glow of exercise has long worn off by the afernoon & evening, making compliance difficult.

I think you answered both questions yourself. Yes, you can exercise yourself into starvation mode, if you use up the calories you take in by expending them, your body will hold on to whatever it has.
If you exert yourself alot, you should definitely have an extra shake. Typically, we suggest having the bar before exercising, and if you feel too tired after, to have an extra shake or other product (not bar).
As for the hunger... if you are hungry, something isn't right. You are probably not getting enough.. so have an extra something. Another thing is the Momentum products. They really help with appetite suppression and for increased metabolism... look into some of those... great new products.

Sounds like you are on track, just get that hunger under control, and don't overdo it.

:mrgreen:
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Petunia » February 18th, 2008, 5:17 am

Thanks for the reassurance. I swim at 5 AM, so I don't think I can choke down a bar before, but I can add an extra shake before I swim. (Don't get me wrong...I love the bars and have one every day...they help me keep compliant) I think that might make it better. I just don't want to feel like I am "cheating" or I'll start to lose my self control.

I am a morning person (although not a cheerful, sunny morning person), and I like to get things done early. If I leave exercise for after work, I just won't do it.

The appetite control shakes haven't made a difference in the past, but I think you are right, I'll try some of the new products that have just come out. Honestly, a lot of my hunger issues are emotional and the loss of the feeling of being really full (instead of normally full).

Thanks again for the support & advice. I recognize that exercise is an important part of weight loss & contol, so I don't want to mess myself up with unreasonable hunger or slowing of weight loss.
Petunia
Regular Member - #80 Club

Postby Tawanda » February 18th, 2008, 7:11 am

I just wanted to pop in to tell you how impressed I am with your swimming. Both your dedication to doing it and also your ability (I am not a 'good' swimmer, although it is one of those things that I've considered taking lessons to improve my skills). I admire all who undertake regular exercise and I hope that you find the combination of supplements to allow you to continue your swimming along with continuing to lose the weight you want.
Began MediFast 2/10/07 212#
Reached Goal 3/15/08 147#
Renewed commitment 9/20/09-after regaining 38# (185#)
Reached Goal 1/25/10 147# Maintaining :)
Tawanda
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby vcille » February 18th, 2008, 7:56 am

Thanks for posting the questions. I had the same type of ones. THis is the start of my third week and I've done very minimal exercise in that time but I'm ready to start back, but don't want to stop the progress I'm making. I only have about 12 more lbs to lose (I've lost 7 the last two weeks). I enjoy weight lifting. In the summer, I like to go to my sister's house to swim. BTW, wow on getting up at 5:00!! I would love to do that but just don't see how it's possible.
vicki
vcille
vcille

Return to The Gymnasium