Birthdays, Baseball & Exercise

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

Birthdays, Baseball & Exercise

Postby mellowmom » April 4th, 2006, 12:38 pm

So many questions...so little time.

Thursday is Opening Day at SBC Park in San Francisco and will be the first Opening Day I've ever attended in my life. Also it's my birthday. I'll be 56. I've been on the program for 12 days and have lost 16 1/2 pounds.

One of my favorite things to eat at the ballpark is Garlic Fries, followed with a 40 clove Garlic Chicken Sandwich. I'm currently torn between totally blowing it and having fries and Sandwich, or munching on 5 fries (I don't know how I came up with that number) that I'll swipe from my son's order of Garlic fries and eating just the inside of the Chicken sandwich, or staying compliant...drinking my shakes, diet soda, water and searching the park for a lean and green meal. I need help from you all to help me get over this Garlic Fries withdrawal I'm already experiencing.

Any ideas of what I can do with the shakes to liven them up at the ball park? I won't have a blender so basically I'll just be shaking them up by hand. Anyone know of any places where I can get a lean and green meal at the ballpark? I know they have a Carl's Jr. there...but I don't know if they have salads there.

And lastly, re. exercise...I plan on starting next week (Week 3) and have a membership at Curves. When I left there, several years ago I had been exercising the full circuit 6 days a week. I'm wondering now if it would be better to maybe start with 1/2 circuits (15-20 minutes) daily, or do the full 30 min workout 3x a week? I know it all ads up to the same amount of time exercising, I'm just wondering if it's better to go for a daily program at 1/2 speed or an intermittent program at full speed? Any studies or thoughts on it?

Thanks for your help.

Carmel
Shaken AND Stirred
3/24/06
5'8" 334/213/165
Re-started 1/7/09
5'8" 325/165
mellowmom
Preferred Member - #120 Club

Postby MusicalMomma » April 4th, 2006, 12:51 pm

Hi There MellowMom!!! Well, the advice I have regarding eating at opening day is...stay on plan :) Garlic Fries and Garlic Chicken sandwiches are the enemy right now. If you think you are craving them now, just think how bad it will be IF you eat them. Firstly, your system is all cleaned out now. That grease and junk may REALLY upset your stomach and send you to the bathroom causing you to miss most of the game anyway! Then the next day, your cravings could be a whole lot worse than they are now. I would advise saving your bar for while you're in the park...if you don't have any RTD's, take your shakes, water (should have that with you anyway) and sweetner packets. It may not taste wonderful, but it will get you through. Can you enjoy the game without that greasy food? YES YOU CAN!

As a former Curves employee, I would recommend going around the circuit only once. 3x a week, for at least a couple of weeks. On the "glute" switch legs after 15 seconds to get an even work out. Don't do curves 6 times a week ever. You are breaking down your muscle on the machines while exercising...they need one full day to rebuild....then you can go again. So, every other day is all you should do. After 2-3 weeks, if you feel up to it, you can do the full 30 minutes (twice around the circut).

Let us know how you do!!!!
MusicalMomma
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby falisamarie » April 4th, 2006, 2:26 pm

:cleader: :cleader: :cleader: Stay on plan stay on plan shake shake shake :cleader: :cleader: :cleader:

That is my little cheer for you! I would surely stick to program remember this is not a diet it is a lifestyle program!

Lisa
Start date 1/15/06
falisamarie
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby DogMa » April 4th, 2006, 3:21 pm

The Web site lists two concessions with salads, one with chicken fajita salads and another with taco salads. You might try one of those.

I went to a hockey game a few weeks ago. Couldn't find anything really suitable to eat, so I just had a bar during the game. I was so happy to be able to fit comfortably in the seat, and to not get winded climbing the stairs to our seats, that it wasn't so hard to say no to all the junk food.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Dayna » April 4th, 2006, 6:51 pm

Joyce mentioned that your stomach (as well as locations south) may not take kindly to a bunch of grease and carbs. If you chose to endulge after 12 days of being on-plan, you do run the risk that you will spend more of the game on the toilet than in your seat. :mrgreen: And if that thought doesn't motivate you, then take a good hard look around you at the people who are endulging in all manners of fatty foods and carby beverages, and ask yourself if you would rather be looking more like them, or more like you will after you hit the two-week mark having been completely on-plan. Even better, just imagine how good you'll look NEXT birthday!

16.5 lbs is a fantastic start. Do what you can to keep that momentum going.

Enjoy the game - that's a fantastic ball park!

Go Giants! :D

- Dayna
Someone once wrote:I'm allergic to cake. I break out in fat when I eat it.

8/05 - 275
SD - 1/17/06 - 259

Dayna

Hi

Postby dede4wd » April 4th, 2006, 8:17 pm

How awesome is this site? Did you notice that Robin went online and checked the concessionaires at the game and made suggestions of where you can get a l & G? That's dedication!

I think the RTD's are LIFESAVERS at things like that, bars work too.

I agree 100% with Joyce, you've got your system cleaned out, it could make you REALLY sick and you could miss the game (been there, done that, got the t-shirt!). Plus. I myself have to quit equating food to events and celebration. The game is the treat, the garlic chicken isn't!

I know I'm little Miss "Don't DO IT!", but I fell off the wagon and it took me A YEAR to get back on the wagon (after it backed over me a couple of times). All I can say is that those foods will ALL be there when you're in maintenance and THEN you can make deals with how many fries you can steal from someone else. Just remember your first 4 days and ask yourself if ANYTHING is worth going through that again...In my mind nothing is...just having room between my A&# and the armrests is reward enough at an event for me!

Either way, we love you and will support you. You're doing SO WELL! Don't quit now! Enjoy the game AND enjoy the thinner, healthier you, you CAN DO BOTH!

Good luck!

DeDe
dede4wd

Postby MISSANNE » April 4th, 2006, 8:48 pm

I'm sending signals for your cravings to disappear. :shoot:

We'll cheer for you while you cheer for the team.
:cleader: :cleader: :cleader:
Michelle
MISSANNE
Preferred member

Postby mellowmom » April 5th, 2006, 11:27 am

Thank you all for your wonderful support and ideas on how to make tomorrow another day that I stay ontrack.

I know I have to break the connections between celebrating, fun and food.
(Or at least the wrong kinds of food.)

:stickwack:

I had a long talk with my oldest son who's going with me to the game tomorrow. Told him I wasn't going to have the fries and the chicken sandwich and I'm going to stay compliant.

He said, 'No problem, Mom. I don't need the garlic fries and junk food either. We'll just spend some money on souvenirs...something that you'll get to keep as a reminder of your birthday and Opening day and your new life on Medifast. I'll take you out to dinner afterwards and we can go to a restaurant that will serve you a nice lean and green meal"

Gotta love that kid. Actually he just put in his order to Medifast and will be starting on the program as soon as his meals arrive.

I'm feeling better about my decision not to cheat. Your support and warnings (especially the part about spending the better part of the game in the john because of all the fat and grease in what I was planning on eating.

Thank you!

:thumbsup:

MM[/b]
Shaken AND Stirred
3/24/06
5'8" 334/213/165
Re-started 1/7/09
5'8" 325/165
mellowmom

Postby Linda » April 5th, 2006, 1:04 pm

Carmel, your last post had me in happy tears. What a wonderful, caring son you have! What a treasure to have that kind of support from a loved one. Huge hugs to both of you, and I know your birthday will be a treasured memory. :heart:
LINDA

Started Nov 6, 2005
5'3", 59 years young
Linda
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby falisamarie » April 5th, 2006, 1:47 pm

OK That settles it MM's son gets the hero of the week award :trophy:

What a great guy!

Lisa
Start date 1/15/06
falisamarie

Postby MusicalMomma » April 5th, 2006, 2:18 pm

What a WONDERFUL son you have!!!!!! Tell him, from all of us here on the forum, WE THINK HE'S GREAT!!!!!!
MusicalMomma

Postby DogMa » April 5th, 2006, 4:06 pm

Wow. With family support like that, you can't go wrong!!

Enjoy the game!!!
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa

Postby Dayna » April 5th, 2006, 4:47 pm

mellowmom wrote:He said, 'No problem, Mom. I don't need the garlic fries and junk food either. We'll just spend some money on souvenirs...something that you'll get to keep as a reminder of your birthday and Opening day and your new life on Medifast. I'll take you out to dinner afterwards and we can go to a restaurant that will serve you a nice lean and green meal"

Can we clone him? Sounds like you've done a fantastic job of raising him. Happy birthday; enjoy your day!
Someone once wrote:I'm allergic to cake. I break out in fat when I eat it.

8/05 - 275
SD - 1/17/06 - 259

Dayna

Postby Mom23 » April 5th, 2006, 6:04 pm

mellowmom wrote:

He said, 'No problem, Mom. I don't need the garlic fries and junk food either. We'll just spend some money on souvenirs...something that you'll get to keep as a reminder of your birthday and Opening day and your new life on Medifast. I'll take you out to dinner afterwards and we can go to a restaurant that will serve you a nice lean and green meal"

MM[/b]

Hey, how old is he? If he's anywhere near either of my daughter's ages (16 and 17), send him down to NC...they need to find a nice, caring boy like that! :hmmm: (don't tell them what I'm trying to do!)
Bobbi
RE-start date: 10/27/06 (33lbs lost; 12 gained=21 lost on MF prior to re-start)
Mom23
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Hi

Postby dede4wd » April 5th, 2006, 7:36 pm

Wow!

Your post made me SO happy! Not only did you make a decision not to cheat, that your health is more important, you realized the problem with equating food with fun and celebration AND your kid just showed what a GREAT job you've done of raising him! I had really happy thoughts when I read that. I am so proud!

DeDe
dede4wd

Next

Return to The Weight Room