eating disorders?

Add your favorite recipes.

eating disorders?

Postby reenerbutt » January 23rd, 2005, 9:50 am

:? I have just started to check out this program. I am recovering from eating disorders, 4 years now. I recently got married, then gained ALOT of weight. I know it's not in my head...it's 25lbs. I love my husband. He knows about my past problems, so I really don't want to act on how I feel about my body. The first time I beat this was 4 years ago, my Dr. said to set 4 to 5 times a dat to eat and to take the guess work out of planning meals and cooking by eating the same thing everyday, reguardless if I'm hungery or not. To complicated things I can't eat things with nutrasweet or aspartame. Do these products contain artifical sweetners? I want to hear someones thoughts about my story. Thanks
reenerbutt

Postby Nancy » January 25th, 2005, 2:35 am

The sweetener used in the Medist products is acesulfame potassium.

Many people benefit from using a portion-controlled eating plan. We often eat the same things, not because we HAVE to but because we GET to! We WANT to. For people that easily get out of control with food, Medifast is helpful because we know exactly how many packets we shoud eat and how often - the rest is up to the 'eater' - what to they want more - to be at a healthy weight or to be over/under weight...

Best wishes to your success.
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

eatting disoders

Postby jackal » February 16th, 2005, 8:57 am

I AM RECOVING WITH AN EATTING DISORDER AND AFTER TRING TO PLACE AN ORDER I WAS TOLD THAT I HAD TO LET THEM SPEAK TO MY DR. I HAD NO PROBLEM WITH THAT BUT I WORKED TO A POINT THAT I AM CAPABILBLE OF MAKING MY OWN HEALTHY CHOICES AND JNOW THAT EATTING MANY SMALL MEALS THROUGHOUT THE DAY WOULD BE BENIFICAL, HEALTHY AND GREAT FOR MY BODY. I WOULD NOT CONSENT AS I FELT SINGLED OUT, COULD HAVE LIED ABOUT EVERYTHING AND REGET BEING HONEST. I FELT IT WAS A GOOD PLAN BASED ON MY EXTENSIVE KNOWLEGDE OF EATTING, MAINTAING AND LOSING WEIGHT AND THINK FEEL THE COMPANY MADE AN ERROR FOR NOW ALLOWING ME TO TRY IT WITHOUT HASSEL AND PROMTE A GOOD THING IF IT WORKS...COULD HAVE BEEN THE SOLUTION FOR ALOT OF WOMEN LIKE ME AND I AM HURT BY THE COMPANY FOR BEING SINGLED OUT. AFTER ALL, MOST OVER EATERS ARE COMPULSIVE AND HAVE AN EATING DISORDER ALSO.
jackal

Postby Nancy » February 16th, 2005, 12:26 pm

Hello, jackal ~

While I can understand your frustration, I also must say that although Terry and I are Health Advisors we are not doctors. We do not diagnose, we do not provide therapy or medical treatment and we cannot prescribe.

Take Shape For Life Health Advisors can help people select a program and the products needed to reach their health goals. There are certain key points that we know about our featured Medifast products:

• they are pharmaceutical grade foods
• they contain no controversial herbs
• they contain no stimulants
• they may be used by all for a healthy alternative to today’s foods

Most anyone who is reasonably healthy may get started on the programs but there are some who must be screened by the Take Shape For Life Medical Team.

There are times some people may want to be supported in more ways than what we are able to provide.

There are times that clients can only use Medifast products as supplements and not be placed on a weight loss program or a nutritional plan and they need to contact Take Shape For Life’s Virtual Medical Clinic.

Some examples would be
• people with active thrombophlebitis
• Bulimia nervosa
• chronic use of corticosteroids > 20 mg per day (Yes, I do take prednisone but less than 20 mg/day)
• chronic use of illicit drugs, addiction, alcoholism or substance abuse
• people on lithium
• if pregnant or lactating
• Multiple Sclerosis

There are certain times that a client and their physician are willing to work together with a Health Advisor and with a member of our Virtual Clinic Medical Team to review their plan.

We must ask that clients in these categories take responsibility to see their personal physician because they may be losing a significant amount of weight which could influence their medication dosages and their physical health. You merely mention that you have an eating disorder and that can be expressed in different ways.

My husband was overweight but he did not have an eating disorder; he did virtually no exercise, ate poorly but not compulsively. I overate. Over the years, I attended programs prescribed by my doctor in addition to those that other national weight loss programs offered. My physician was happy to work with me and monitor my weight loss through Take Shape For Life, even though she was not initially familiar with the programs and products.

You are correct, there may be others who have an eating disorder and fail to provide that information upfront to their Health Advisor. When that happens, they not only hurt themselves but they place their Health Advisor in a difficult position.

There are some who provide that information upfront and they are willing to work together with their doctors and with the Take Shape For Life Medical Team.

By our very nature, Health Advisors want to help others. Medifast has exceptionally wonderful products but it is not a magic cure-all, there are some people who need more support and insight than what we are able to provide, thus there are times when we are unable to support them.
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Eating Disorders

Postby Guest » February 16th, 2005, 2:24 pm

<delete>message deleted</delete>
<reason>user not signed in - UT</reason>

Eating Disorders?

Postby Maddison » October 28th, 2005, 4:44 pm

Greetings......If you were "fortunate" enough to grow up in the turbulent '60's, you also saw a lot of skinny models; the most famous being the English model, "Twiggy". The skeleton-like body type was "in" and it ruined a generation of young women (and some young men, possibly)....fashion was influenced.....if one wasn't skinny the clothes on the racks just didn't work on a normal sized or even a plump body type. So, most everyone was dieting to achieve that concentration camp look along with the sunken-in, raccoon-like eyes (formed with lots of eye-liner and shadow).....I was inevitably diagnosed with anorexia nervosa....the disorder didn't have a "name" at the time....it just took about ten years out of my life to learn how to eat again and realize there was more to life than being abnormally underweight to achieve a "fashion look". However, to those of you who have been given this diagnosis and learned how to re-live your life with food....take heart, I have been told you really never get rid of the desire to be thin!!! You may have been given a clean bill of health....but, it is still wonderful, wonderful to be thin!!! You just know that it is a death sentence to diet to the extreme now....If you are now middle-aged and perhaps a teen from this decade you're probably fighting the battle of the bulge now....at least with Medifast you can diet in a healthful manner now that you know all the rules. Maddie
Maddison

Return to Lean Cuisine