drmjwdvm ~ Overweight Cats

Give us the skinny in the losers lounge.
(Anything off topic)

drmjwdvm ~ Overweight Cats

Postby Arklahoma » July 1st, 2006, 8:18 am

drmjwdvm,

I have two overweight cats and I have been trying to shrink them for years. I am hoping that you can provide some counsel. One cat is 12 years old and about 15 lbs. The other is 11 years old and about 12 lbs. My vet talked to me about the dangers and ramifications of obesity and put them on a special low-cal plan that I bought from her. She told me it would take a long time and we wouldn't see immediate changes but it would be worth it in the end. I followed her prescription to the letter for over two years and my cats never lost weight. We moved to another state and I have not gotten a new vet yet. I am feeding them Iams weight control / Hair ball formula via the instructions on the package and they seem to not be losing either. What can I do? I want my cats to live as long as possible and to be healthy.
Arklahoma
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby pinkflamingonewsgirl » July 1st, 2006, 8:33 am

we have an overweight kitty too...She's something like 14 pounds...hehe...she's a cutey.
pinkflamingonewsgirl
Trusted Member - #20 Club

Postby Elke » July 1st, 2006, 9:25 am

Ark, is there food out at all time or do you schedual a feeding? I don't just mean cat food either, any food. I know if we left out our dog food, the cats would it it too. Just a thought
Elke
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby Arklahoma » July 1st, 2006, 9:38 am

Elke ~ We only have the two cats and they get fed only a small amt which is twice per day. I will admit that before the vet talked with me a few years ago, we did just put out a bowl and leave it out all the time.
Arklahoma

Postby electra000 » July 1st, 2006, 10:02 am

Hey Ark, I don't have any experience with cats, but I do have an overweight jack russel terrier with stomach issues. I have to feed him sensitive stomach dog food. I measure it out and everthing, but he is still overweight. I took him to the vet and he tested his thyroid. His tyroid was low so he put him on thyroid pills. It has only been two months. I really can't tell that much difference in his girth yet, but his hair has gone wild. His hair has gotton bigger and curlier ! He looks like a big white fluff ball.
electra000
Preferred member

Postby Tankie » July 1st, 2006, 10:48 am

My vet had me switch from putting food in a bowl to putting it on a flat plate (dry food) which makes sure they don't get a face full of food in every bite....and in the time they hunt and peck for food they get full because they actually take time to eat......Also I've been using the Science Diet for indoor cats (reduced calorie for lazy kitties) and it seems like that helped....

Amy
It's been swell but the swelling's gone down...

Tankie
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby Aerie » July 1st, 2006, 11:44 am

Okay sorry it took me sooooo long to get back to you. I was pretty busy last night and this morning.

Now I can't legally give you advice without a "valid client patient relationship" nor can I advise someone that lives outside of the state in which I am licensed.

I can only speak in general terms (and advise you to find a vet with a special interest in felines.)

Obesity is a major problem in housecats. Once they start down the road to obesity it's hard to get them back to ideal. The diet that I prefer for obese housecats is Purina O/M (obesity Management). However, the Iams company also makes one under their Eukanuba lable called Eukanuba Restricted Calorie. One of my staff veterinarians is a feline whiz, only sees cats, and she also likes the Purina O/M. This is a prescrition diet.

I will say some general rules about fat cats. Always change their diet slowly. If a fat cat refuses to eat for even a few days they can develop a dangerous condition called hepatic lipidosis. It can kill them. Once you get them on a Rx diet decrease the volume you feed about 15%. Yes it will look like you're feeding nothing. Then closely monitor weight weekly. If they're gaining you know you're feeding too much. If they're maintaining then you need to cut back a smidge more. Cats do need to lose very slowly. Also at their ages I wouldn't want them to lose too much weight. Maybe just a pound for the smaller and two for the larger. This should take about 3 months or so.

Good luck and know you're not alone there are millions of fat cats out there.
Aerie
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Arklahoma » July 1st, 2006, 6:34 pm

drmjwdvm ~ Thank you so much. I appreciate your comments.
Arklahoma

Postby Arklahoma » July 2nd, 2006, 7:16 am

BTW, are you able to sell the Purina OM to me???
Arklahoma

Postby Karakuri » July 2nd, 2006, 10:42 am

i highly recommend finding yourself a new vet. since you've moved, you never know what might come up. do some research and find a vet that best suits your cats needs. mention that you've placed your cat on vet recommended diets before and that it hasn't been working.

like someone else here, my cat had a thyroid problem. he was overweight and shed far too much. he had his thyroid operated on and it's made a world of difference. he doesn't chow down super fast anymore either. he's on a very strict diet too. the old man gets to eat catfood with duck in it! oh the luxury! ;)

before you go changing your cats diet, it probably would be best to still talk to a vet that can see your cat in preson.
start date: June 12, 2006
start weight: 260
new start date: May 14, 2008
current weight: 260
goal weight: 160
height: 5'7"
back on medifast, again, and ready to kick it into gear!
Karakuri
Preferred member

Postby Arklahoma » July 2nd, 2006, 11:06 am

Thanks for your post, Karakuri. Unfortunately, I am about to move again which is why I have not taken my cats to a local vet. Seems silly to establish a local relationship and then move again.
Arklahoma

Postby Aerie » July 2nd, 2006, 12:12 pm

I can do this: I'll have one of my nurses get you a telephone # to Purina's Vet division. They should be able to tell you where in your area you can get the OM. Give me a couple of days since it's the holiday but I promise I won't forget.
Aerie

Postby Arklahoma » July 2nd, 2006, 2:11 pm

I appreciate your effort. Thanks!!!
Arklahoma

Postby Ketann » July 2nd, 2006, 3:03 pm

They need to make a medifast formula for pets.
Ketann

Postby Unca_Tim » July 2nd, 2006, 8:46 pm

New from Jason Pharmaceuticals
Medi-Pet!!!
Unca
"Failure is a choice"
~From a dream~
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Next

Return to What's Shakin'