Cut out my exercise ?

Fitness and Exercise

Cut out my exercise ?

Postby Karli » June 26th, 2006, 10:22 am

As I am preparing to start the 'Take Shape for life' program, I have one small reservation and quandary...

I had been exercizing everyday. And lately, if I am not doing it everyday, I aim to, anyway. But, I happen to have a ton of muscle in my build and since I have been doing some fairly serious weight lifting for a few months (again) now, I have gained a lot more muscle and strength (that I don't want to give up on).

I am under the impression that once I begin the program (5/1) that I will need to either stop or dramatically cut back on the exercise that I have been doing, especially the weight-lifting. *having a hard time with this*

Partly, too, because (like playing the piano and singing) if I don't get to exercise I get pretty cranky... I need that outlet.

But, I do realize that if I am on the TakeShape for life program that I will be comsuming far less calories during the day and probably not enough to compensate for the work I do in the gym. I definitely do not want to be low energy during the day because of this, so I am willing to do whatever I need to do.

Could somebody offer a little more insight about this all ?

Thanks,
Karli
Last edited by Karli on June 26th, 2006, 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Karli
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Sarya » June 26th, 2006, 10:26 am

The reason why you are supposed to cut back your exercise is because the medifast 5&1 plan does not have sufficient calories etc to sustain a high level of exercise. I've heard some people on this board add an extra supplement or L&G if they are exercising more than we are supposed to.

Someone else may be able to give you more info, but that is the summary I've seen in the past :)
Sarya
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Karli » June 26th, 2006, 10:33 am

Thank you for your very quick response, Sarya :). Yeah, that is the general thing I have figured and heard, too. I have also thought about what you said as far as people adding an extra supplement if exercizing more... but I wonder which is actually better ? To just cut out or half the exercise (as suggested ? -- which is actually recommended ?) or to do extra supplements ?

I have already decided to do the variety pack "for men" because of my build (my goal weight is 175), but maybe that is not enough in and of itself to compensate.

Karli :exercise:
Karli

Postby Sarya » June 26th, 2006, 1:38 pm

You may want to ask your HA or the medifast nurse, but I'm guessing they'll tell you to cut down on the exercise for now and slowly add to it after you have acclimated to the plan.
Sarya
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby MiriamKelly » June 26th, 2006, 1:47 pm

Well, I can tell you what I did when i started.

Prior to starting at the beginning of June, I went to the gym 5 days a week for 2 hours. Normally I'd do a cardio class, then weights. I have a lot of muscle, too, which is why I've never really realized I was fat - just figured I was muscular...cept for that thick layer of fat on top of it that I chose to ignore. I played co-ed and women's rugby for 9 years, so I always felt the need to be a bit bigger regardless if it was muscle or fat.

I'd adopted the "I can eat what I want because I work out and have muscle" attitude, hence the fat never leaving me.

When I started MF 4 weeks ago, I didn't do a heck of a whole lot - most I did was walk around the neighborhood for 2 miles at 3 mph - I wanted to get used to how my body felt when it only got 900 calories and how I felt after running half a mile, or walking 2 miles (running was not so hot the first week).

In week 2, I returned to the gym. I stopped going to cardio classes and cut my gym time to 45-60 minutes 3-4 days a week (probably 15 minutes of that is gym socializing ;) ). I kept up with cardio by swapping my normal classes for a combination of an inclined treadmill and bike at lower intensity, for about 30-45 minutes. I now only do light weight work twice a week and a day of calisthenics at home.

When I do cardio, it is to hit a medium, fat-burning pace, rather than a hard workout that gets me pumped. When I do weights, I do it at a much lighter weight for more reps.

This week, I'm going to swap some treadmill/bike days for some yoga to mix it up. I'm also actively looking for ways to lesson my dependence on the gym - I met a few ladies who do yoga on the beach in the mornings, paid my dues for masters swimming and I even count playing with my dog for an hour in the park (throwing a frisbee takes it outta you! :P ).

My point is, I dont want to overdo it. I dont want to burn off all the calories I'm eating in an hour. I don't eat extra meals for my workout days, but I do split my bar - I eat about 3/4 of a bar with some water before, and eat the remainder fo the bar and 12oz of water on the ride home (if I didnt like having something to eat after working out, I'd eat the whole bar prior). And when I get home, it's usually time for a meal. But I also dont want to feel like a couch potato - I have a personal need to stay active, so I am, just less intense.

I think the hardest thing for me to overcome was the fact that some of my muscle is going to go away - benching my weight is something of the past now, as is having a bigger bicep than lots of the guys. I'm getting older and have no need for being big. I want to be healthy, strong and lean without looking bulky - this took me awhile to realize (I saw a fairly recent topless picture of Arnold Schwarzenegger and I realized that I can't keep up the muscles forever). I know you said you dont want to give up the muscle and strength you've gained, so I'm not sure that MF is entirely right for you. I dont think it's possible to keep up the routine of maintaining the strength and muscle on 1000 calories - your body requires 3 times that. You may have to try to stay in shape with light weights and fat-burning workouts, get to your goal weight. Then as you start weening yourself off MF and into a lean, high protein, good carb diet, start building your strength back.

I started June 4 at 188 and am now at 173.5 (55.5 from my omgnoway goal; 48.5 from my realistic goal). I don't eat extra meals (I drink the MF55 shakes) and the only vitamin I take is a super B complex.

Hope that helps.
MiriamKelly

Postby Karli » June 26th, 2006, 2:50 pm

hee hee.. okay. Well, my HA did indeed suggest that I lay off the exercise for awhile and wait for the intensity until I am weening myself again. I am willing to do this, and though I like being strong (and have seen some new toning coming in) I can give up the upper end of that for a while.

Miriam, thanks for your reply, yes, it was quite helpful. As you explained, I too have a personal need to stay active, and that's what it boils down to. As long as I know that at some point I can be VERY active again, I am okay with that, and it never takes as long as it seems it will to start getting my strength back (about a month, actually). And, if I am 60+ lbs. lighter, it wouldn't hurt, either.

Yeah... I have an omgnoway weight also... hee hee. That would be 160 even. Right now, I will aim for 175 and see what happens. I can relate to a lot of what you talked about in your post, thanks for posting in. On another note, my husband grew up in Hawaii on the island of Oahu, I won't ask you any personal questions regarding it but I just thought I would mention that. I spent about 5 weeks there a number of years ago and we did some yoga in a little place right on the beach. Quite great !

Thanks,
Karli
Karli

Return to The Gymnasium