Cooking for the Family

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

Cooking for the Family

Postby I-Can-Do-It » March 11th, 2005, 10:38 am

I've just started Medifast and don't know what to do about feeding my family. My husband, 16 y/o daughter and 14 y/o son are probably capable of taking over meal preparation, but I hesitate to ask them. It feels like I'm abandoning one of my main roles in the family

However.... Cooking and serving food on a daily basis seems overwhelming in view of my not eating at all. I'm willing to plan meals, go to the store once a week and defrost food when needed. Can I ask them to cook and clean up after themselves?

I'd love to hear from all of you who have faced this issue.

Thanks!
Julie
I-Can-Do-It

Postby 24KaratGold » March 11th, 2005, 10:48 am

16 and 14? They certainly are capable of cooking for themselves, and in fact they ought to be learning how if they don't already know. You aren't abandoning a major role by getting them to do this; you are fulfilling your role as their teacher and as the one responsible for making sure that they can take care of themselves when they are out on their own. I have three boys, almost-15, 16, and 20-today, and each one of them is capable of at least basic food preparation.

Maybe you could rotate days for cooking? That way everybody -- including you -- would only have to do it not quite twice a week. Or you could advise them that you are doing all the prep (planning, shopping), so it's time they started to help out by doing the cooking and such.

My boys are very supportive of my weight loss efforts, and they are happy to do things to help make it easier for me. I bet your family will, too.
270/186.5/160

24KaratGold
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby doglover » March 11th, 2005, 1:17 pm

My husband did all the cooking when I first started and now in my 5th week I can really cook for them no problem and do not get the urges to munch or cheat. So, this is probably a temporary thing and if you ask for their help on a temp. basis it won't seem so drastic! I agree too that this is a good excuse to teach your children kitchen skills! :chef:
Donna
Donna - frequent flyer to FL!
Feb 7, 2005 start date
176/150/150 - made it in 9 weeks! 26 lbs off!
150/139.5/140 - made it in 8 1/2 more weeks! 36.5 lbs off!
144/143/135 - new and last goal! Maintaining for now in 2006
doglover
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby monkeymom » March 11th, 2005, 5:58 pm

Yep, I"m with doglover. The first week or so I was on MF my kids all fended for themselves, they are 17 and above. They still do frequently becaue I am in school or studying, but I do make really big Sunday morning breakfast for them, and some other specialties that they like me to make now and then. It really doesn't bother me at all, so hopefully you will have the same experience soon.
Vicki
255 - 1/29/08
monkeymom
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby scrabbler7 » March 12th, 2005, 6:56 am

My husband is a stay-at-home dad - so during the week, he always took care of the cooking anyway. But on the weekends, I want to eat a meal with my family since I've been working all week and haven't sat with them. I always cook a meal that has the components of my lean and green. I have a rotisserie so most weekends, I'll make a roasted chicken or a roasted turkey breast, cook up lots of fresh vegges and I also make a starch for them (that I don't eat). The great thing about this is that I usually have enough meat and vegges left over for my lean and green meal on Monday and Tuesday!

This works out well for all of us because it feels like a "normal" family dinner -- which it is -- I'm just careful on what I prepare. And really, who doesn't love roasted turkey breast!!! It cannot even be considered a sacrifice to have to eat it.

Good luck to you!
scrabbler7
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby jene115 » March 12th, 2005, 9:57 am

I will preface this by saying that I don't have children, but one thing I do know is communication is key. If your family is supportive of your efforts to lose weight, I bet they will jump at the chance to help you in this way. I had to cook starting at age 13 because both my parents worked and I was home first and I was proud that I could help my family out in this way, plus it taught me not only how to do basic cooking, but I found I was very creative in the kitchen. This could be a great experience for your children and your husband. Once you are sure you won't have any licking your fingers or tasting issues, if you still feel you are "abandoning" your family, go back to it! But the important thing I believe is to ask your family for support in this. I bet they will be more than willing to help.
Jen
03/01/08
"I'm stronger than my cravings!"
jene115
Preferred member

Postby dlr2424 » March 12th, 2005, 12:52 pm

I would explain to them how important your New Food plan is to you and ask for their support...If your children were younger I could understand your feeling somewhat guilty although they are PLENTY OLD ENOUGH to wing it...Now personaly I struggle with the idea that it is the woman's main role, unless of course one was a stay at home mom and liked to cook... as for me it's not my favorite chore....and yes I look at it as a chore...So therefore.. I LOVE MEDIFAST.....open packet..add water..shake...open packet ...add water...heat...doesn't get much better than that :eat: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay::yay:

Keep shakin :dance:
Donna

There's nothing to great that God won't provide me the strength to endure...all I need to do is ask Him
dlr2424
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Return to Weight Loss