Confused about what is allowed

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

Confused about what is allowed

Postby chgogrl » September 14th, 2005, 9:53 am

Hi,

I've just started the program and ordered the 1 month starter package. I was a little disappointed that it didn't come with any pudding or chili. I received shakes, soup, oatmeal and bars.

I doing the 5 and 1 program. I understand you are supposed to have 3 shakes and up to 1 bar only but my confusion lies with the soup and oatmeal.

Can you have both a soup and an oatmeal every day? How does the broth fit into all this?

I read somewhere that I can have pickles? How many and are we talking spears or whole pickles?

Is the chili worth ordering?

Will adding fiber products to the shakes throw off my weight loss? I am using benefiber which per serving is

20 cal
4g carb

This is day 5 for me and it's getting "a little" tough. I'm not ready to cheat or anything but something to crunch on like pickles would be a welcome change!

Sorry about the numerous questions but thanks in advance for the help!
Chicago Girl
chgogrl

Postby Nancy » September 14th, 2005, 10:26 am

chgogrl ~

Regarding your questions

It is suggested that you have three shakes a day because the shakes have the greatest amount of soy and since soy is a natural appetite suppressant, they help stave off hunger - especially during the first three weeks as your body adjusts to the fat-burning state. Truly you may have any combination of products, just one bar per day.

Most people have oatmeal for breakfast or a shake.

Yes, you may have Medifast oatmeal and soup the same day. For example, you may have oatmeal for breakfast, a shake for mid morning, soup for lunch, a bar for afternoon, a shake for late afternoon and oatmeal for a late evening snack before bedtime.

The starter kits have enough oatmeal for 14 servings.

You may try the puddings, chili, etc. the next time you order. The starter kits are designed to be a basic introduction for people just getting started on the program. Once you have the program down then you can begin the adventure of trying different items to add interest to your program and to avoid flavor fatigue.

I have covered the snacks in other postings...but here goes again.

The recommendations for snacks is as follows:

You can have one snack per day.

The snack can be any of the following:

2 dill pickles
3 stalks of celery
1 c Sugar-free Jell-O
1 cup of bouillon
1 Packet of Medifast Crackers
1 packet of Medifast Fast Soup

We recommend that you only have one snack per day because it adds more carbohydrates and calories to your daily intake.

When doing the 5 and 1 Program, we are trying to maintain between 80-85 grams of carbohydrates and 800-1000 calories to stay in the mild dietary state of ketosis.

Please check out the search feature located at the top of every web room page ^ see it up there? You an use it to find out how to prepare different items, how others feel they taste, etc. Look in the Lean Cuisine Web room, too for more ideas.

We hope that you have a super week! Glad to have you here!
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby Nancy » September 14th, 2005, 10:50 am

Sorry...I forgot to reply to your question about adding fiber.

If you feel the need to add fiber, we suggest that you use the sugar-free Metamucil. If you are on the Complete Meal Replacement Program or the 5 and 1 Program, the additional 15 grams of carbohydrates from Metamucil would not affect your results but I am not sure about what your plans are for using the benefiber - as to whether you are using it in each shake or for one daily dose of 20 calories and 4 grams of carbs. Call your Health Advisor for personal attention to your program.
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby chgogrl » September 14th, 2005, 10:53 am

One more quick question,

So both soup and pickles are considered a snack and so I cannot have for example a chicken noodle soup and pickles in the same day?

Thanks!
Chicago Girl
chgogrl

Postby Nancy » September 14th, 2005, 11:29 am

Chicago Girl ~

The Medifst Chicken Noodle and the Medifast Chicken With Wild Rice Soups that come in the Starter Kits are full meal replacements and are not considered to be 'snacks.'

The snacks I referred to are called Medifast Fast Soups and are boxed 14 packets to a box for $7.45/box. They come in these flavors: Delicate Chicken, Savory Beef and Robust Tomato. Many of us use them to enhance the flavor of the Minestrone and Chili or as an in-between meal snack. They are similar to bouillon and are fortified with potassium and sodium to help when a person feels a bit washed-out or droopy.

Sometimes during the first week or so of the program, people can feel puny due to drinking more water than they are accustomed to and also because most people consume large amounts of processed foods with high levels of sodium. When we eliminate those foods with our weight loss program, it takes some time to adjust to the change.

So..yes, you MAY have 2 pickles plus a packet of the Medifast Chicken Noodle soup on the same day.
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby chgogrl » September 14th, 2005, 11:34 am

Got it, so much clearer now!

Thanks!
Chicago Girl
chgogrl