cindyjones008

1 Thread per registered User.

cindyjones008

Postby cindyjones008 » March 29th, 2008, 7:45 am

I still suck at MF. I feel like a looser that can't loose weight. Not that I really think of myself as a looser--I think I am just stuck in self-pity.

I want it so bad, but I just can't seem to give up the sugar! I don't know how to live without it. Plus, I find such pleasure from eating sugar! I look forward to an evening at home eating a yummy sugar item.

What is wrong with me? I don't get it.

I wonder if I have to figure out why I get so much pleasure from eating sugar in order to stop. I have tried to start MF several times, but never last very long because I give in to my sugar cravings. And my cravings are impulsive, and once I say, oh, I want sugar--nothing stops me! I don't give any room in my mind to reason or to try to stop myself.
cindyjones008

Postby katieb920 » March 29th, 2008, 8:35 am

Hi Cindy,

I know how you feel. Sometimes it is harder for others. I did read some where that people sometimes do like a atkins first, you are still eating and then they start medifast. Yesterday was a second restart for me. And I wanted a donut so bad.... When i have that craving I put a piece of sugarless gum in my mouth. Sometimes it helps sometimes not so much. Also think of things like sugarfree lemonade from crystal lite or sugarfree jello.

Were here for ya.

Katie
Katie
katieb920
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby lifelovinaries » March 29th, 2008, 8:50 am

katieb920 wrote: When i have that craving I put a piece of sugarless gum in my mouth. Sometimes it helps sometimes not so much. Also think of things like sugarfree lemonade from crystal lite or sugarfree jello.
Katie

in my experience, NONE of those things seem to help a sugar craving, but it has helped to divert what my mouth was trying to decide to do. Cindy, just keep in mind that sugar is addictive. One sugar satisfaction leads to even more cravings. For me, i get the same reaction whether it's sugar, bread or pasta. Since they turn to sugar in the system, they all make me crave more of the same. What i have done is to FIGHT (to the death) the craving. After you get into the medizone, i can't say that the cravings will COMPLETELY go away, but they are DRASTICALLY lessened and easier to deny. Besides, at that point, you will find that the weightloss that you are experiencing far outweighs the sugar craving and makes it a little easier to avoid. Like katie said, WE ARE HERE FOR YA! Hang in there.

restart: 01/04/10
lifelovinaries
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby cindyjones008 » March 29th, 2008, 9:10 am

thanks for the great feedback!

How do I start? I don't know how to start.

Has anyone ever had 'one last meal' before starting MF? I feel like I have eaten 10 'last meals'. And when I say meals, I mean one last carb, pasta, sugar meal, one last unhealthy meal. The next day I will start. I will do fine in the morning but by the afternoon or evening, I am putting sugar in my mouth.

I do believe that after the first couple of weeks, I will be fine, it will be much easier. However, I can't seem to get through day one. Food is such a comfort to me right now. It is a companion. It is always there for me. I have a real sick relationship with food and I don't know how to change it!
cindyjones008

Postby lifelovinaries » March 29th, 2008, 9:38 am

cindyjones008 wrote:thanks for the great feedback!
How do I start? I don't know how to start.
Has anyone ever had 'one last meal' before starting MF? I feel like I have eaten 10 'last meals'. And when I say meals, I mean one last carb, pasta, sugar meal, one last unhealthy meal. The next day I will start. I will do fine in the morning but by the afternoon or evening, I am putting sugar in my mouth.

I do believe that after the first couple of weeks, I will be fine, it will be much easier. However, I can't seem to get through day one. Food is such a comfort to me right now. It is a companion. It is always there for me. I have a real sick relationship with food and I don't know how to change it!

i'm sure many have had "one last meal" before starting or restarting. HOWEVER, the fact that you have eaten at least 10 "last meals" shows that the "last meal" thing has no benefit. If you do fine in the morning, then put sugar in your mouth, you sabotage yourself by saying "oh, i've messed this day up anyway, let me just start again tomorrow." Don't start again tomorrow, start again with the NEXT meal. Look, none of us are perfect but we CAN control what we put into our mouths. If you lose control for a meal, grasp that control for the next. Then try to realize that you only have to remain compliant for a few more hours, then resolve to make that next meal compliant too. It is easier said than done for some but THAT is what will get you to goal. Take it hour by hour. The more you remain compliant, the better you feel about yourself. You realize that the foods you have been eating have NOT been your friend. What REAL friend would make you fat? Great friends/companions want the best for you. Maybe it's time to change companions. Like in real life, every person (friendship/companionship) is not healthy for our well being. We realize that sometimes we have to cut people loose because of their negative results in our lives. Same with foods...

restart: 01/04/10
lifelovinaries

Postby ChynnaDoll » March 29th, 2008, 10:20 am

Hello Cindy! WELCOME!! i know EXACTLY what you're dealing with for i am a sugar JUNKY myself i kid you not. What has fortunately worked for me believe it or not, is Orbit BubbleMint gum SERIOUSLY!...and i found a drink mix at Walmart's similar to Crystal Light that is calorie free, very low sodium, and is sugarfree. It is called "Great Value"..it comes in several flavors..my FAVORITES are the Fruit Punch and the Cherry...these two things have been and still are LIFESAVERS for me when i get that sugar urge :-P...they even have it in ready to go packets for when you're not home. Good luck with trying to find out what will work for you.

SO glad you are here!!!!

Chynna
ChynnaDoll
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby Mike » March 29th, 2008, 11:14 am

These wonderful ladies nailed it for ya. Just do it.. just start.
No "last meals", because they won't be "last meals" they will be meals you won't have for a while (until you have lost the weight). Heck, you might never want that stuff again once you see where this takes ya.

If the unthinkable does happen, and you stray ;) , then just get back on with your next Medimeal... don't wait til the next day.

You can do this, we all have faith in you. Let us know how we can help.

:mrgreen:
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike

Postby dede4wd » March 29th, 2008, 6:10 pm

I spent WEEKS doing one last meal and I kick myself! Once I've been on MF for a week and my sugar-induced mood swings are gone, I just feel like I'm on an even keel and so happy!

All I can say is one meal at a time...if you slip, don't say "I've blown it, I might as well go to taco bell as I did...get right back on next meal...I found that I want health and to be thin MORE than I want junk. Everyone slips, I just had to keep myself from continuing the downward spiral once I slipped.

Once you get in the medizone (doesn't take that long), it won't be such a battle.

I KNOW I haven't given up my sugary treats forever, I just will have a better relationship with them once in maintenance.

We're here for you...one step at a time...
dede4wd

Postby rodeomom » March 29th, 2008, 6:33 pm

I always have a craving for something sweet after dinner. Now, I keep Diet Cream Soda on hand to drink as my dessert. No, it doesn't have "sugar" in it, but it has a very sweet flavor and is enough (most of the time) to get me through. Try to save the sweeter flavored MF meals for the time that you are really having a craving for the sugar. Treat them as a treat. I find real satisfaction in a chocolate pudding after it has been in the freezer for a little while and is almost like ice cream.

You have got to make up your mind that your desire for a healthy, life in a thinner body is more important to you than having carbs and sugar. Discover what reward you get from giving in to your craving then try to duplicate that feeling in other ways. The guy from "I Can Make You Thinner" does an exercise that involves associating the thing you crave with the one thing you detest while tapping the top of your hand. I mean REALLY thinking about something nasty when the craving is strong while tapping your wrist or the top of your hand. Later, when that craving comes up - when you tap your hand you will immediately think of that nasty stuff and the craving will leave. It sounds like a bunch of hocus pocus, but I have tried it and it works.

Again, though, you have to want to be healthy and thin MORE than you want that sugar. Good luck and keep trying!
09/21/07 - 12/21/07 Lost 80 Pounds Ankle Surgery 12-21-07
rodeomom
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Mickeyz » March 29th, 2008, 8:09 pm

Boy oh boy, I think we all understand the sugar addition. :roll: The truth is that like any addiction you have to get past the cold turkey stage. What is your thought process that allows you to give in? Think about what causes you to break down. Sugar is not only a physical addiction, but also a huge mental addiction. I know I am an emotional eater, so when I get wrapped up in self pity it becomes a terrible and vicious circle.

Maybe try weaning yourself off sugar for a couple days by eating a low card type diet, then start MF. It could be that the whole “last meal” thing is just making it harder for you and actually increasing your sugar craving.

You can do it! Most all of us have had to break a terrible sugar habit.

For me, I do find that something “legal” and sweet like Crystal Light helps me get through the craving. Does it stop the craving? No! It just helps me over the hump. Losing weight IS about will power, but after the first few days ketosis sets in and things really are easier.

You CAN do this. While you are fighting off the craving just be proud of yourself for being in control.

Good Luck.
Reached Goal Nov 2007 61.5 lbs lost
Gained 11 lbs in Mexico 3/08, decided to lose that along with another 5 lbs!
Mickeyz

Postby Tawanda » March 30th, 2008, 8:06 am

This was a timely thread for me to read. I need to stay away from sugary foods. Whenever I eat them it starts a nasty desire for more and more. I do feel so much better (more energetic, more in control of my eating and not mad at myself for poor choices) if I stay away from it.

I appreciate this thread and all who have shared. It did help me when I read it yesterday.
Began MediFast 2/10/07 212#
Reached Goal 3/15/08 147#
Renewed commitment 9/20/09-after regaining 38# (185#)
Reached Goal 1/25/10 147# Maintaining :)
Tawanda

Postby cindyjones008 » April 2nd, 2008, 8:41 am

I feel so sad, I am sad that I can't stop myself from eating sugar every day. I just can't seem to get started. I even tried doing the low carb thing, to only last half way through the day.

I don't want to give up the comfort of sugar foods. Yet, at the same time, I don't want to stay fat. I want to loose the weight and have an active lifestyle. There is something going on with me, I don't know what, that needs the emotional comfort of sugar. It is a companion right now, a friend. I know, it is not a true friend, but obviously it is serving a purpose right now. I wish I could figure out what purpose it is serving so that I could deal with that issue and move on.
cindyjones008

Postby holberry » April 2nd, 2008, 8:51 am

hi Cindy,
thought Id give you few tips I use, maybe you already know them,
but>>>
frozen shakes are super for the sugar thang

frozen bars are good

sugarfree gum. Im never without it. shhhh, I eat tons of it.

best to you and keep posting, weve all been there sweetie :D
holberry
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby cindyjones008 » April 4th, 2008, 12:02 pm

I have been really convinced that I can't do this again, but a strange thing happened, last night I decided I was going to do MF today, one day only. It's 11:40am, and so far so good. There have been a few times I was going to say, "screw it, I'm eating, " but I didn't end up eating. A co-worker brought in bagels, I justified it in my head why it is okay for me to eat one. They didn't have my favorite kind, so I picked a subsitute. I was ready to take a bite of it, but at the last second decided it wasn't worth it because it wasn't the greatest flavor. Now, it is sitting on my desk, and I am not going to eat it. I am going to stick to do MF just for today. Origanally I planned on eating sugar tomorrow, but now my plans changed, I am not going to make any decisions about tomorrow right now. Instead, I am going to be happy and feel good that I am doing MF today.

Lately I have been feeling like I am never going to do MF, I am not going to loose the weight. It is a strange thought because I had success on MF before, so I know I can do it, so what's my problem? I wish I knew what my problem was so I could work on it!

Now that I decided to do MF today, I am scared about the future, I am scared of failing and I am scared of success. Also, I fear loneliness. Last time I did this, I remember feeling empty inside when I wasn't consuming lots of food. I did eventually get through it, and maybe I need to remind myself of that. But, I am afraid of the loneliness. Food is such a companion to me right now, without it, I will feel empty inside.

Ugh! This is so darn complex, it is so hard, I don't know!!!!
cindyjones008

Postby Maisy » April 4th, 2008, 2:05 pm

You have the right idea...I always tell people just do it today and today only, wake up every day for today only.

You seem to have an evening issue, so keep on the mantra , only for today. You want sugar, drink another water, a herb tea anything. Do the one day thing 7 days and I honestly believe those cravings will go away.

Just remember, when you feed the craving you are actually making it worse, starve that craving and it will die away and you my dear will get the success you really crave!
Maisy
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Next

Return to My Journal